Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   Question about 2001 V70 2.4T and transmission fluid change? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/question-about-2001-v70-2-4t-transmission-fluid-change-41736/)

dany0212 05-17-2010 10:41 PM

Question about 2001 V70 2.4T and transmission fluid change?

Hello,

I have 2001 V70 2.4T Auto with about 95k miles on it.

The other day on the regular oil change service, mechanic mentioned that it will be a good idea to do the transmission fluid change.

Couple of questions I have:

1. We bought this car with about 60k miles on it, so I am not sure if transmission fluid change was ever done on it.
I guess doing this procedure is recommended, especially at this mileage of 95k?

2. For past year, car has been developing this rough idle and rough take off after a stop (feels like transmission thump).
I wonder if changing the transmission fluid can improve these symptoms.

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Georgeandkira 05-18-2010 08:15 AM

Start here

Hello, 1) Make sure the "Stop neutral" feature (or whatever it's called exactly) is turned off in your transmission. 2) A flush couldn't hurt and most people (including me) feel an improvement after doing one. 3) As always, Be sure a JWS (Japan World Standard)3309 fluid is used. Mobil 3309 is hard to find and shipping it costs too much. Volvo fluid is shamelessly expensive. Toyota Type IV fluid is the way to go. DO NOT drop your car off at Monkey Lube and expect them to even know about correct transmission fluid. 4) Doing this yourself is real easy provided you have done stuff to your car in the past. The procedure has been posted. Kira

SVTfocusO3 05-18-2010 09:12 PM

It may be eligible for a software upgrade from your dealer, expensive, but check. Fluid change good, good synthetic should suffice. check specs.

Georgeandkira 05-19-2010 10:14 AM

Transmission upgrades and synthetic fluid

Hello, When I had my transmission's software updated a year ago the dealer said there were two programs available; a $60 and a $30. My car took the $60 one. Inform us of your options if they mention it. Regarding synthetic fluid: Like SVTfocus03 said, check specs; NOT ALL synthetics are JWS3309. Depending on how much a DIY person you are (and how much energy you want to expend tracking down the correct fluid) having a dealer do your flush at the same time as the download might be the way to go. Please people don't yell at me for suggesting service at a stealer. Get back to us. Kira

dany0212 05-19-2010 11:29 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I am not planning to do the transmission fluid change myself, so will take it to a mechanic.
Dealer is charging way to much for fluid change, so I guess going to a specialized mechanic and maybe bringing my own transmission fluid will be the way to go.

As far as software upgrade, that sounds good, doesn't seem expensive either. If that the case, I might do that at the dealer, the software update that is.

Thanks again.

SVTfocusO3 05-20-2010 06:48 AM

Yes, they usually charge $250, we do.

We use a BG products machine, you have to buy more fluid than capacity to flush it all out. Works good, just hook it to the cooler lines in series and start it.

Like the oil change reminder, there is one for this that can only be done at the dealer, they may do that for you no charge.

malaka 05-22-2010 10:51 AM

About that "flush", I strongly suggest you run the search function here and read what others think about "flush", especially a power flush. Many write that a repeat (3x) drain and fill is the recommended procedure. Sure, you pay
for fluid (try your local Toyota store) but there is little danger of damage to fragile transmission parts. Curiously, American Honda has the same recommendation, much to the chagrin of its dealers who want to pay for their power flush machines.

The above is simply repeating what others have said. I haven't done it myself (yet) and mine's an '06.