Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Rear Wiper Quit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wiper Quit

Hello Group,
Rear wiper on 2004 V70 n/a quit working this weekend. The fuse is good; I can hear a relay activate when the wiper switch is turned on. Though we have had snow recently, there has not been a build up of snow or ice to prevent wiper arm movement.
Other threads mentioned broken wires near the lift gate hinge or a bad motor.
What's your best guess? What does it take to remove the interior panel to gain access to the motor?
Thanks for your help,
Dennis

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM

I had the same problem. My motor went out. You could hear it actuate, but no movement. I had to replace the motor.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything in my tailgate died slowly. First the lock, then the defroster and finally the wiper.

I had broken wires in the harness. Dealer wanted $150 for the harness w/o labor. I ended up fixing the broken part with ¢50 worth of connectors.....

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by woodkayakr
Hello Group,
Rear wiper on 2004 V70 n/a quit working this weekend. The fuse is good; I can hear a relay activate when the wiper switch is turned on. Though we have had snow recently, there has not been a build up of snow or ice to prevent wiper arm movement.
Other threads mentioned broken wires near the lift gate hinge or a bad motor.
What's your best guess? What does it take to remove the interior panel to gain access to the motor?
Thanks for your help,
Dennis
Wiper shaft is dirty/corroded. Remove the motor from the car, take it apart (small torx screws, don't lose the tiny "o" ring), clean and regrease, reassemble. I have to perform this every two years, Canadian salty roads.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:03 AM

Mine stopped working a few weeks ago and I have it booked in tomorrow for a dealer check. Thought I would have a listen for the realy as it stated on anther thread and double check the fuse. As I approached the car I gave the blade a slight tweak. It seemed to be free up a bit. Then with my wife watching, I turned it on she said it moved a little. I tuned it off and gave it another tweak and it satrted working but slightly jerkily another tweak and it appeared to be working OK. I then squirted WD40 around the spindle near the washer jet and put the hatch horizontal while it operated for about a minute to let it soak in. The other thread goes into taking the motor apart and de-crudding the spindle within the motor and applying Plus Gas. Haven't seen that on sale in UK shops lately though. I remember it being very good.
Well, I have just joined the website and am very pleased as I seem to have saved myself a new motor at £250 quoted plus dealers labour costs. Do I leave well enough alone for now and keep lubricating? Will give an update at some point. Many thanks and best wishes.