Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Repairs mounting on 98 V70 AWD...worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairs mounting on 98 V70 AWD...worth keeping?

Hi, posting newbie here so forgive me if i am posting something that has already been covered.

I'm the original owner of a 1998 V70 AWD with 158K miles. This car has treated me well, but the repairs are starting to add up and I'm wondering if the time has come to move on from my beloved Volvo.

Here is what needs to be addressed:

1. Power steering issue (either the pump or the steering rack)
2. Clunking on driver side when hitting small bumps. Probably spring seat, replaced the passenger side before with similar noise. Original suspension still in place, so probably need to replace everything. Have replaced the rear nivomats once before.
3. Lower engine mounts. Already replaced the upper mount with IPD product. Also replaced the firewall mount. Engine still has a lot of movement when revved.
4. Driver window starting to fail.
5. Slow oil leak from the turbo

Last year, I had the radiator replaced and just replaced the driver axle shaft.

The engine still runs great and starts strong. I haven't had a tune-up in a while (maybe only once before). I have noticed that fuel economy isn't as great as I would like it to be (lucky to get 300 miles before the light comes on).

So with consideration of the above, I'm curious to know what some of you true enthusiasts think I should do. If I put the money in to repair everything and keep the car, I will probably also do some performance upgrades like sway bars and ECU.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Default keep it, or not

If you like the car and want to keep it, do so. It has alot of life left and the cost of the repairs you mentioned are not that high compared to 3-4-5-or 6 years of new car payments. IMHO the most important thing you said is that you have owned the car since new, so you know what you've got (how its been cared for, etc). I vote keep it and return it to stage zero, then you can start playing with upgrades, unless of course you want to get a new car again

Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM

simple matainence items. Not too terribly expensive if you can do the work on it yourself. If you have to pay someone it could get expensive. Have to weigh the options. What I would do is get a parts list together and see what your looking at. You have owned it since new so I say keep it. The mileage is still pretty good too.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Make it 3

Hello, If you can't do any of it yourself the price will be higher, as matt said. I vote to keep it. 1) junkyard pump is EZ to install. Steering rack is available rebuilt for a 1998. 2) Clunk in a 13 year old suspension is no revelation "...so probably need to replace everything." Possibly not the Nivomats (I don't know how they wear). What I do know is at 158K your suspension doesn't owe you a dime. 3) Lower mounts- BIG DEAL (sarcasm-not mini-flaming). 4) Driver window starting to fail is probably just the switch IPD has an aftermarket as well as factory switch. 5) The slow oil leak from the turbo could be just the return line's gasket. You have nothing to fear. Are you in Orange Co. NY or California? There's an indie or two in No. New Jersey who could fix you up. Kira ps Think about drilling the "hole" in your bevel gear so you can change the fluid-if you want to know about a repair bill-you can avoid a big one. K

Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the great feedback! I'm a wannabe DIYer, but have never jacked a car up to do any repairs and barely have the time to learn, so might have to go with a repair shop.

@Kira: I'm in Orange County, CA. There are some indies out here, but I've yet to find one that I feel is being honest about what really needs to get repaired. I have a friend who owns an auto performance shop, but he laughed when I asked if I can bring my Volvo in...something about scaring the customers away!

I'm going to take Matt's advice and figure out a parts list and see what the damage would be. Hopefully, I can do some of the repairs myself.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'm definitely more inclined to keep the car now!