Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Seat Belt Retractors - rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Belt Retractors - rear seats

Hi

Were talking about a 2003 V70. Does anyone else have the problem that the seat belt retractors in the rear seats never really retract? My two sons are constantly slamming the car door on the seat belt buckles - making an awful crunching noise and scratching the paint all up. If the retractors actually pulled the belts up where there supposed to be, this wouldn't happen.

Any fixes?

Thanks

Bob

Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

LOL, Hey Bob, old cars do things like this. I kinda hate it myself, looking at a car to buy and see where someone has constantly tried to close the door on the seat belts.

To put your mind at ease, we all have the problem. If we don't help the belt a little it will get in the way and get smashed in the door jam. There are a few resolutions to this problem, one being leaving the kids at home so they don't do that any more. What I would probably do is get something dear to them, put it in the doorway in the house somewhere and close the door on it every day for a week or however long it takes them to ask me to stop doing that, at that point I would remind them that they do the same thing to my seat belts in the car so you don't know why you should stop when they don't. LOL Other than that you could try to calmly teach them how to help the seat belt retract so it will stop happening. Another option would be to replace the seat belts, that would last about 4 years. And the final, most costly action to take would be to purchase a new car. That might hurt a little but heck, those seat belts wont get caught in the door jams.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rpsi

Interesting ideas all, I will say that. When you put it that way I didn't realize I had so many options! The one thing I have been trying to teach them is to gently close the door rather than slam it with all their might. That lasts about a day...

Perhaps next time I have a few mins I'll pull the units and investigate if any part of it which can be refurb'd.

Bob