Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   Tailgate won't open (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/tailgate-wont-open-9296/)

gkwoods 12-28-2006 06:56 AM

Tailgate won't open

I recently bought my first volvo a V70. Great car but the interior lights, key fob (i have put new batteries in)and sun roof have never worked and recently the tailgate has refused to open. I took it to a Volvo dealer and they said it needs a new central computer which will cost £400 plus labour. Is this accurate or is there another solution. I would be happy if I could just open the tailgate!!!

Gavin

tech 12-28-2006 11:31 AM

RE: Tailgate won't open

Does the Tailgate have a Key slot in it?

gkwoods 01-07-2007 08:31 PM

There is no key slot in the tailgate.
Gavin
[align=left] [/align]

woodsy 05-24-2008 09:17 AM

I am having the same problem. Help us pleeeeease.

Maybe its to do with our surname.

Andrew Woods

tech 05-24-2008 12:23 PM

There was another post on here with some pics on how to get it opened.

efmuse 08-29-2008 11:09 AM

Can you tell me where that post is with the pics on how to get it opened? I am having the same problem with my 2001 V70 2.5.
Any help greatly appreciated

efmuse 08-29-2008 03:26 PM

YES you can open it even with the tailgate shut. I just did, but it took awhile. You will not be able to remove the interior trim piece completely as there are four torx screws that hold it in place, and they can only be accessed once the tailgate is open. So here's what you do. Climb in to the back of the wagon and firmly grasp trim piece just above rear wiper. Pull hard and a few of the clips will give way. You will be able to pull it open just enough. Locate the rod that extends downward from the exterior handle. In my case the rod was not engaging the "catch", which when depressed, releases the lock mechanism and allows the tailgate to open.

Somewhere down at the bottom middle is that catch. A flashlight helps. Use a long handled flat or phillips screwdriver. Once you find, press down, and it will release the lock. :D

In my case, the problem is that when I unlock the car, the electronic mechanism does not move that rod back into the correct position to depress the "catch" I checked the fuse and it is fine. I am told that there is no relay switch for this, and that it might be a software problem. ANY THOUGHTS? any help greatly appreciated

Ed Fleischman
Morristown, NJ

tech 08-29-2008 07:00 PM

I would have the Rem(Rear electronic module)codes read.
Do you know the trick to seeing what modules have codes in them?

efmuse 09-01-2008 11:51 AM

No, I do no know the trick to seeing which modules have been read? Any clues?

ef

tech 09-01-2008 12:11 PM

This will not give any codes itself. It just tells you what modules have codes in it.
Press and hold the read button on the end of the turn signal switch. While holding the read button press and release the rear foglight switch fast and then in the display window it will say somehting like checking for codes. Then press the read button to go through each module and see which ones have codes.

mr maraki 09-01-2008 12:42 PM

Do all V70's not have the camouflaged key slot in the hatch? It looks like a little panel just off-center of the license plate valance, if you pull it out and swivel it there's your key slot. Just mentioning this because that's the sort of thing I don't see when I'm frustrated.

tech 09-01-2008 07:31 PM

Not all had then usually only the ones with the 3rd seats.

wilbrook 09-22-2018 11:06 AM

Tailgate won't open manually

I had this problem with a 2008 XC70. Come to find out, the tailgate opening lever/handle on the gate (the thing you squeeze to open it) wasn't resetting completely when released. Just pushing it forward with my thumb produced a click and the gate could then be opened (provided it had been previously unlocked electrically with the remote or the button in the car).

Stan242 06-13-2021 03:03 PM

V70 tailgate repair

Originally Posted by wilbrook (Post 465807)
I had this problem with a 2008 XC70. Come to find out, the tailgate opening lever/handle on the gate (the thing you squeeze to open it) wasn't resetting completely when released. Just pushing it forward with my thumb produced a click and the gate could then be opened (provided it had been previously unlocked electrically with the remote or the button in the car).

Thanks. Same problem on my 2008 V70. Pushing with thumb did the trick!

Sterling47 01-23-2022 10:28 AM

Thanks. This technique worked on my 2004 V70. This failure to open happened today for the first time; pushing forward on the handle worked. The click sound was faint.