Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Transmission Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fix!

Long time looker, first time poster. I appreciate all the help this forum has helped me with my 01 V70 T5.

I have done all the noted transmission stuff (oil drain/fill, B4 servo cover, software update, etc...) and have noticed a slight difference with the transmission shifting issues. However, my shifting problems only happened when the transmission would get hot. Not because I towed a trailer or was driving up a mountain, but would get hot when I would leave my car idle in park for 2-5 mins or in stop-n-go traffic. The transmission would slip and jerk into gear until I would move down the road 2-3 miles until the trans would cool down. So, a couple months ago I purchased an auxiliary transmission cooler and mounted it on the front of the radiator. I tied the cooler into the trans line, right where people were installing the filter. It has been the best thing yet for the transmission. Since the cooler has been installed (1200 miles) I have not had any shifting problems. I think this transmission is so sensitive to heat and that’s why the problems occur.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting!!

which tranny cooler did you get? how much? and post pictures of the install if possible.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 PM

I purchased the cooler from Napa for around $70. It was the Rapid Cool plate and fin design. I also bought 4 feet of extra transmission line. It came with maybe 2 feet of hose and 4 hose clamps. I had to buy 2 more hose clamps and two brass splicers from Lowes in the plumbing section. The cooler is small and was about 4"x10" and 3/4 thick. You could probably use any cooler, Napa was just close to home.

I'm sorry, but I didn't take any pics. I will try and explain how I installed it. In order to get to the radiator, I had to remove the from bumper. Once off, you can see on the outside lower ends of the radiator is an aluminum bracket with a hole. I did not want to use the cheap plastic straps that come with the cooler, so I purchased a piece of steel from Lowes. It was located in the overhead garage section with several different types and lenghts. I got one that was 2"x48" and 1/4" thick. It has a hole about every inch and is bendable. I mounted the cooler to the steel and them mounted the steel to the two brackets. I spliced the trans hose coming from the top of the radiator, installed the brass splicer with two hose clamps and ran it down to the cooler. Then I ran another line from the cooler back up to the other end of the trans hose with another brass splicer and two hose clamps. I just cut the hose in the same general area people have been installing the filter. Put the bumper back on and add about another 1/2 quart of trans oil and you are good to go. It took about an hour. I can try and take a photo of the cooler mounted thru the bumper if you like.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cooler transmission

Hello, Very interesting indeed. I've noticed a relation between hot and cold too. Mine shifts funny occasionally when hot. Cool (no pun intended). Kira

Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM

xcorpstim, I am about to install a trans cooler, on mine as well. Is it still working well for you?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 AM

I eliminated the in radiator trans cooler on my 850 and went with an external..
Do not want ever to go through flushing chocolate mil colored fluid from my trans due to the leaking radiator cooler..

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Its been the fix for my transmission problems. Its been on for six months with no transmission issues. I highly recommended the cooler.