Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   Transmission fluid questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/transmission-fluid-questions-94387/)

In California 11-01-2017 03:24 AM

Transmission fluid questions

Hi,

Just bought a 2002 V70 with 143K miles.

I want to flush/change the transmission Oil since I've no idea when it was done last.

Can I use Walmart Synthetic ATF fluids that meets Volvo 97340, 97341 requirements ?

Here is the link to it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...6199#read-more

And this Valvoline full synthetic says it is recommended for Volvo 1161521, 1161540, 97340, 1273.41

Does anyone know what these numbers mean and if it is compatible with my car ??

Here is the link to the Valvoline. You can click on the photos and make them much larger and read the back where it lists these things.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...JBU4#read-more

Thank you all.

mt6127 11-01-2017 08:20 PM

per the owners manual: AW5: Only Volvo gearbox oil (1161540-8)

If you cheak out Aisin's ATF interchange guide, that maps to JWS3309. So you should use a transmission fluid that shows it meets that spec.

In California 11-01-2017 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 452795)

If you cheak out Aisin's ATF interchange guide, that maps to JWS3309. So you should use a transmission fluid that shows it meets that spec.

The Valvoline I mentioned says it is 1161540, but what is the -8 at the end of the number that you listed ??

I am not interested in paying $28 a quart for volvo oil X10 or 12 quarts to flush the system, that is simply insane.

There must be other transmission fluids that can be used on this thing....I've read that Mobil 3039 works on this car ??

Thanks.

Georgeandkira 12-02-2017 07:58 AM

Get cases of:
Mobil's 3309
Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic Tr. Fluid (ships free via amaliestore.com)

Buy jugs of:
Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV (the LV must be on the label-DO NOT USE plain Dex/Merc)

Buy quarts of:
Toyota Type IV (aka T-IV)

I've used them all with NO PROBLEM.

In California 12-07-2017 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 453929)
Get cases of:
Mobil's 3309
Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic Tr. Fluid (ships free via amaliestore.com)

Buy jugs of:
Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV (the LV must be on the label-DO NOT USE plain Dex/Merc)

Buy quarts of:
Toyota Type IV (aka T-IV)

I've used them all with NO PROBLEM.

Can you mix the Mobil and the Valvoline Oils ??

Georgeandkira 12-08-2017 08:41 AM

Compatibility

Yes!
Brand names mix OK. Synthetic and mineral products mix OK.

I've tended 5 of these units over the years with all the fluids listed above. There has never been a problem.

The Wolf's Head from the amaliestore.com is the best deal as the shipping is free. If you order from them call first and ask 'em to wrap the cases in plastic as the cases are perforated to create store displays. One of the first cases I ever ordered ripped. I didn't lose a single bottle They gladly gave it a plastic wrap. They also sell oils.

In California 12-08-2017 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 454131)
Yes!
Brand names mix OK. Synthetic and mineral products mix OK.

I've tended 5 of these units over the years with all the fluids listed above. There has never been a problem.

The Wolf's Head from the amaliestore.com is the best deal as the shipping is free. If you order from them call first and ask 'em to wrap the cases in plastic as the cases are perforated to create store displays. One of the first cases I ever ordered ripped. I didn't lose a single bottle They gladly gave it a plastic wrap. They also sell oils.

I am getting so many different opinions I don't know whom to trust. Many say don't mix different brands, don't mix mineral and synthetic,....etc..etc.

Georgeandkira 12-26-2017 02:30 PM

I've used the Mobil3309 (itself), the Wolf's Head mentioned above, the MaxLife Dex/Merc LV mentioned above and the Toyota T-IV mentioned above without regard to mixing and matching.
The Mobil3309 is conventional as is the T-IV.
The Wolf's Head and MaxLife are synthetics.

I also use LubeGard (red bottle) as per their directions and have no idea if it's synth or conv. based.

Sorry for the late reply.

Wetnsweaten 06-27-2023 04:52 PM

Walmart Transmission fluid

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 452795)

Walmart fluid does meet the JWS3309 specification and more importantly, the fluid is licensed as being a certified Dexron, Mercon fluid. Go ahead and use it in the Aisen transmission used by zVolvo.

In California 06-28-2023 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wetnsweaten (Post 525038)
Walmart fluid does meet the JWS3309 specification and more importantly, the fluid is licensed as being a certified Dexron, Mercon fluid. Go ahead and use it in the Aisen transmission used by zVolvo.

Thanks for replying. This was my post from 5 yrs ago when I bought the car. It will be due soon for another Transmission flush.

Are you saying the Walmart Full Synthetic fluid will work for a 2002 Volvo V70 Station Wagon??? If that is the case, it will save me a lot of money over buying the Toyota or Asin or Mobil 3309 fluid. Thanks.

Wetnsweaten 06-28-2023 08:18 AM

Walmart trans fluid

Originally Posted by In California (Post 525047)
Thanks for replying. This was my post from 5 yrs ago when I bought the car. It will be due soon for another Transmission flush.

Are you saying the Walmart Full Synthetic fluid will work for a 2002 Volvo V70 Station Wagon??? If that is the case, it will save me a lot of money over buying the Toyota or Asin or Mobil 3309 fluid. Thanks.

Take a look at the specs on the back bottle of Super Tech Dexron-IV. Mercon LV. It states:
Llcenced from Mercon LV and then it states it meets the Volvo requirement 97340 / 97341
read the rest of the bottle and it states it meets the requirements for Toyota, Hyundai, Honda 3309
The most important information is that the fluid is “licensed” from Mercon which means it had to pass all 36 tests and specs required from Mercon. Without the fluid being licensed from Mercon you are buying a fluid that could be of far less quality for your vehicle. I use it in my 2015 S60

In California 06-28-2023 08:27 AM

Ok, I don't know what these 97340/97341 requirements are or what Mercon requirements are. Nor am I familiar with the 2015 S60 or what engine or tranny it has. I know some Volvo's had GM transmissions which mine does NOT.

Don't mean to be difficult, I just want to know if this would work for 2002 Volvo V70 station wagon? I am NOT familiar with any other Volvo as this is the ONLY Volvo I've ever owned.

I am asking you because I have not gone to Walmart to see or read the back of the bottle. And as far as I know Mercon is for American cars. Thank you.