Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc40-58/)
-   -   Volvo Overseas Delivery and Volvo XC40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc40-58/volvo-overseas-delivery-volvo-xc40-96098/)

hbob 04-12-2018 11:54 PM

Volvo Overseas Delivery and Volvo XC40

How come no category yet for the XC40? Drove one today and loved it and interested in Overseas Delivery option. Who has done this with Volvo and what
should you look out for in doing the deal. Is it a fixed discount over MSRP? What should we expect that to be? Any tricks or advice would be great to know?

H2Bill 06-29-2018 02:04 AM

Osd

We did the overseas delivery on our C30 in 2012. I never heard of it before and was a little skeptical. I researched it on the net and it almost sounded too good to be true. Long story short, we did it and it was everything it was cracked up to be. We actually arranged the entire purchase and trip via email with a dealer in another state (local dealer couldn't answer my questions), and the entire experience from booking travel arrangements through Volvo's own travel agents, to final delivery of our car was seamless.

The only hiccup we had was I got an email from Volvo about a month before we were scheduled to fly to Sweden to pick up our car telling us they had put a standard suspension in our R-Design instead of the sport suspension and our car was not going to be ready. They offered some upgrades (we had ordered every option so the upgrades were a mute point) and asked what we wanted to do. I said we're still coming because the rest of our trip was already planned and they said no problem. So we went and did all of the new owner stuff except there was no 'reveal' of our car. Instead, they had an identical C30 (except color) to what we had ordered waiting outside. I was expecting to sign some paperwork or something like a rental, and instead our representative just asked when we planned on bringing it back? We said two weeks, and he just said. "Have fun!"

The entire experience was a positive one and everything was exactly as advertised with no surprises or hidden costs or add-ons. We told ourselves if we ever bought another car we would do this again.

Fast forward to two days ago (and the reason I checked into this forum), we had a windstorm that blew a huge fir tree down on our property and it landed right on top of the C30. My wife was very sad because she loves that car. We had checked out the XC40 already and she has decided that would be her next car in a year or so. Now it looks like we'll be going back to Sweden sooner than we thought.

The OSD program is a great program and really a no-brainer for the value. We met people at the factory who were on there third and forth OSD car. Some just drove it around the test track at Volvo (to meet the requirement so Volvo can ship the car as used, which is how the program works), and then took off by train or plane for their Euopean vacation. If you have any questions about the process let me know.
Bill

H2Bill 08-20-2018 05:51 PM

There is an OSD price sheet on the Volvo website. I have done the program before and there were no issues whatsoever. It was exactly as advertised. I actually did the whole purchase through a salesman at a dealer in another state who "specialized" in internet purchases. I had checked with my local dealer and he couldn't answer all my questions. There were no hidden costs. Volvo even has their own travel agency to arrange what ever you want to do when you are over there. The price was exactly what it came out to be when you do the OSD order form, and the percentage under MSRP depends on the model of car you order.

tony1963 08-22-2018 03:22 AM

My understanding is that they push the vehicle out the back of a plane with a parachute and you pay taxes based upon where the car lands.

skromfols 09-10-2018 12:01 PM

I'm also considering this program for an XC 40. I was also considering the XC 60, however, Volvo informed me that the XC 60 was built in their plant in China, so it isn't in the program. I've lived in Europe previously, so this would be a good opportunity to revisit some of my favorite places at little expense. I would like to know of Hbob has continued in the program, and what his experience was. My plan is to upgrade the travel from premium economy to Business Class (at my expense) and after picking up the vehicle catch the ferry to Lithuania and travel down through Germany to my favorite city in France (Beaune), then catch the ferry or take the Chunnel over to England to visit friends and ship the car and ourselves home from there. It sounds like a great way to buy a car.

Stan

H2Bill 09-10-2018 03:52 PM

We are still debating whether to do the OSD or not for the XC40. We are going to meet a dealer this Friday and make a decision then. The difference in price is about $2500, which is significant, but we just returned home from a month in Europe and we had no plans to return in the near future. (The only reason we are buying a car at this time is because our other Volvo was totaled when a tree fell on it.) We are kicking around just flying over there and spending a day or two, and then heading right back home. When we picked up our other car in Sweden, there were others there doing that very thing. Basically, you drive it once around their test track and then give it right back to them and continue on with your trip or fly back home. It's a long way to go for just a couple of days, but the factory "reveal" of your new car and the tour of the factory is pretty cool, and saving $2500 might be worth it to some.

If you are going to drop it off in another country for shipment, that will add a cost to the deal and it varies by where you drop it off. If you drop it off back at the factory after your trip, there is no additional charge. That is what we did. We left the factory after the tour and drove straight to the ferry. We then traveled overnight on the ferry to Germany and drove for two weeks through Germany, Austria, Italy, and then drove back up to Sweden. The Volvo travel agents set up the ferry trip and they can make other arrangements also.

Regarding upgrading to first class seats on the flight, we did that also. I don't recall the website, but I found a website where you paid $5 to join, and then if any first/business class seats were left unsold for your flight, you would get them at a significantly reduced fare. The catch was you wouldn't know until 24 hours before you departed whether you were going to get them. I got a text on the way to the airport saying we had been upgraded to first class and at that point we were charged the difference for the seats. I don't recall what the amount was, but it was a fraction of what the fare would have been if we had booked them up front. It was kind of a gamble if the website was legit or not, but it ended up being exactly as advertised. The only downside was of course not knowing until you arrived at the airport if you were going to be upgraded or not.

I would definitely recommend the OSD if it works out for you logistically.
Bill

SCV60CC 01-28-2022 08:56 AM

We have just ordered our V60CC through Overseas Deliverty. It was painless. There are two local dealers, and one was much more cooperative than the other. The non-cooperative dealer had a $250 dealer's fee, and the cooperative one a $699 delivery fee, but when I complained they threw in $450 of accessories once our V60 makes it home. So we went with them and so far we are very happy. We saved 7% off of MSRP, this in post-COVID times when most retail purchases are above MSRP. We are looking forward to planning our two-week trip in Scandavia this comning June.

ojimenez00 02-11-2022 04:50 PM

2022 Overseas Delivery XC90 and Dealer assistance

I just placed an order for a 2022 XC90. The program is great and you cant beat the deal! The issue that we encountered was finding a dealer that wanted to work with us. When I visited or called dealers in the Los Angeles/Inland Empire and San Diego area in November-January 2021/22, many were happy to speak with me until they found out that I wanted the XC90 through OSD.

Since most of their Volvo's were marked up because of the chip shortage and quantity, most were not eager to help out with OSD and seemed annoyed when I brought it up. At one dealer, I was not allowed to test drive and the sales manager was very short with me. Luckily I found a new Volvo dealer in the Los Angeles area that wanted to assist my wife and I. Long story short, we placed the order and will be flying to Sweden in May to pick it up!

My advice if you are interested, find a dealer that wants to work with you. It may take several tries, but you will eventually find one.

Originally Posted by SCV60CC (Post 507531)
We have just ordered our V60CC through Overseas Deliverty. It was painless. There are two local dealers, and one was much more cooperative than the other. The non-cooperative dealer had a $250 dealer's fee, and the cooperative one a $699 delivery fee, but when I complained they threw in $450 of accessories once our V60 makes it home. So we went with them and so far we are very happy. We saved 7% off of MSRP, this in post-COVID times when most retail purchases are above MSRP. We are looking forward to planning our two-week trip in Scandavia this comning June.

SCV60CC 02-11-2022 05:32 PM

We got lucky. Our local dealer, Hunter Volvo, just across the line in Hendersonville North Carolina, was very willing to participate.

Originally Posted by ojimenez00 (Post 508123)
I just placed an order for a 2022 XC90. The program is great and you cant beat the deal! The issue that we encountered was finding a dealer that wanted to work with us. When I visited or called dealers in the Los Angeles/Inland Empire and San Diego area in November-January 2021/22, many were happy to speak with me until they found out that I wanted the XC90 through OSD.

Since most of their Volvo's were marked up because of the chip shortage and quantity, most were not eager to help out with OSD and seemed annoyed when I brought it up. At one dealer, I was not allowed to test drive and the sales manager was very short with me. Luckily I found a new Volvo dealer in the Los Angeles area that wanted to assist my wife and I. Long story short, we placed the order and will be flying to Sweden in May to pick it up!

My advice if you are interested, find a dealer that wants to work with you. It may take several tries, but you will eventually find one.

ojimenez00 02-11-2022 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by SCV60CC (Post 508127)
We got lucky. Our local dealer, Hunter Volvo, just across the line in Hendersonville North Carolina, was very willing to participate.

We lucked out with Penske Volvo in the City of Industry (L.A. Suburb). They were awesome and very willing to support us. They are a new dealership in the area and I will be working with them in the future as well.

Entonman 10-09-2023 01:20 AM

As for the discount, it can vary depending on the specific circumstances and dealership, so it's always a good idea to reach out to your local Volvo dealer. They'll be able to provide you with the most accurate pricing information and any current promotions that might be available. Oh, and if you're planning on bringing your new XC40 back home, you might want to check out a reputable car shipping service like a1autotransport.com. They've received positive feedback for their reliable and affordable services.