Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2018 XC60 T5 Highway Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 XC60 T5 Highway Vibration

So I've poked around a few different forums and have seen some people experiencing a vibration at highway speed (65MPH) in their new XC60s. From what I've seen, this issue is blamed on the Pirelli tires, which my car doesn't have.

I picked up my new XC-60 three days ago, but driving to work on a couple of different highways I've noticed a vibration in the seat at around 65 MPH. I felt the same level of vibration on a newly paved section that I felt on an older road, so I don't think that's to blame. From the driver's seat, it feels like the vibration is coming from the passenger side or central area of the car.

​​​​​​Many people are saying it could be a wheel balance problem, and that would make sense because the vibration is very much speed dependent and absolutely consistent regardless of road surface.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with non-Pirelli tires? My car has the Continental tires and optional 20" wheels, if that matters. Or am I just overreacting and should expect the vibration to go away after the car is a bit more worn in?

Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

if the tires are new, then they would not have any cupping so I'd ask the dealer to check the wheel balance. Another cause could be one of the axles so the dealer should test drive the car and see if they experience the same - its a new car and this should all be done under warranty. I would not expect the vibration to go away with time - if there is a speed dependent vibration, something is out of balance.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 AM

Get the tires road force balanced. That may help. Wide large diameter wheels can be tricky to balance. Also check for a rock caught in the tread, believe or not a small rock can sometimes felt as a vibration. Does the steering wheel shake or is it coming from the back?

Depending on how long the car sat during shipping (or on a lot), tires could flat spot slightly which will take some road heat to correct assuming it is not too bad. So, it could just go away over a little time.

Should be warranty work although some manufacturers will try to fight it through excessive trips to service for corrective measures rather than replacing tires.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone. The vibration isn't in the steering wheel, I feel it in the seat almost like I'm on a road surface that's been ground to prep for a fresh layer of asphalt, except I'm on a brand new road. I might give it a couple more drives to see if the tires even out but if not I'll make an appointment to have the balance checked.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There is no excuse for not having perfectly balanced tires today. The equipment simulates the drive experience and even the smallest out of balance can be corrected. However, I've seen lazy techs stop at .25 oz instead of finding the .00 correct balance point.

When I have tires installed, I insist on seeing the final balance showing .00. Don't want to show me? Then I'm out of there. As a dealer, I insist on quality work and there is always someone willing to do good work.

Tell your dealer to fix the balance problem and insist on seeing the actual balancing results. If you have trouble with them, call Volvo North America.

The following users liked this post:
Scj68 (05-20-2023)
Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Greyside
Thanks everyone. The vibration isn't in the steering wheel, I feel it in the seat almost like I'm on a road surface that's been ground to prep for a fresh layer of asphalt, except I'm on a brand new road. I might give it a couple more drives to see if the tires even out but if not I'll make an appointment to have the balance checked.
Hi,
I am having same problem. A very disturbing vibration. Was service able to address it? I scheduled an appointment for this weekend. Wanted to know what happened before my appointment.
TIA...

Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 XC 60 vibration Inscription T6

I have the same problem. Vibration in floor, gas pedal, seat and steering wheel. Have 20” wheels originally with Goodyear tires dealer replaced with Continentals. Back three times for service, road force balanced. Problem is only marginally better. I find the vibratiin very fatiguing. The vibration in the floor numbs my feet and the wheel and seat shaking numbs my hands and arms. I had to disengage lane assist to cut down on driver interference. Contacted Volvo and they just threw the issue back to the dealer. The dealer has acknowledged the vibratioon and now the general manager tried to tell me on the phone that it’s normal, NO IT’S NOT! The loaner XC60’s I’ve had also had steering wheel shimmy. The dealer has really tried to accommodate me. It’s not right to return the car with the problem still evident.

The following users liked this post:
Scj68 (05-20-2023)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:31 AM

2019 XC60 T6 Momentum/ Polestar and Continental 20in Tires
Same issue with the vibration, was going to bring it to a local garage for tire balance till I came across the forum. I am 8 hours away from the nearest dealer, vibration is terrible and the car only had 780km,.

Has anyone got the issue resolved?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by seaya1
2019 XC60 T6 Momentum/ Polestar and Continental 20in Tires
Same issue with the vibration, was going to bring it to a local garage for tire balance till I came across the forum. I am 8 hours away from the nearest dealer, vibration is terrible and the car only had 780km,.

Has anyone got the issue resolved?
After 3 failed attempts to fix the horrible vibration Volvo agreed to cancel our lease and I returned the car. Love our new RX350 with solid steering

Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM

So I've poked around a few different forums and have seen some people experiencing a vibration at highway speed (65MPH) in their new XC60s. From what I've seen, this issue is blamed on the Pirelli tires, which my car doesn't have.

I picked up my new XC-60 three days ago, but driving to work on a couple of different highways I've noticed a vibration in the seat at around 65 MPH. I felt the same level of vibration on a newly paved section that I felt on an older road, so I don't think that's to blame. From the driver's seat, it feels like the vibration is coming from the passenger side or central area of the car.

​​​​​​Many people are saying it could be a wheel balance problem, and that would make sense because the vibration is very much speed dependent and absolutely consistent regardless of road surface.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with non-Pirelli tires? My car has the Continental tires and optional 20" wheels, if that matters. Or am I just overreacting and should expect the vibration to go away after the car is a bit more worn in?
I just bought a 2019 XC60 w/ 20" rims as well and I am having the SAME problem. They replaced the front two tires because after hard balancing them they determined that they had flat spots.
I got my vehicle back a week later and it's still showing vibrations at 65mph+.

Have you been able to resolve this issue? I am bringing it back in to have them look it over again... we have two 2016 Mercedes vehicles and they have a smoother driver than this 2019 volvo XC60.
Very disappointed with Volvo right now.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:41 PM

The problem might be related to the seat recall as per below.
FYI this recall may be for Canada only, not sure. Good to call Volvo to be sure.

Hope this helps

Old 04-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Not the problem. The vibration was in the steering. Volvo bought back our car. Volvo=NEVER AGAIN!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Default Same problem

Have developed same problem at around 16k miles. Been to dealer multiple times. Spent $300 to have tires balanced and aligned. Did not resolve the issue. Dealer admits they can feel vibration, regional Volvo rep admits it’s a vibration - says it’s a characteristic of the car. A $50k+ luxury suv SHOULD NOT VIBRATE LIKE THIS. Thought it was maybe just me until I started reading the exact same problems on various forums. Am currently requesting out of my lease but am not hopeful based on other reviews that Volvo North America just gives you the runaround. I loved the car until this happened. Hope more people see this that are experiencing the same thing.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by dikcpa

I have the same problem. Vibration in floor, gas pedal, seat and steering wheel. Have 20” wheels originally with Goodyear tires dealer replaced with Continentals. Back three times for service, road force balanced. Problem is only marginally better. I find the vibratiin very fatiguing. The vibration in the floor numbs my feet and the wheel and seat shaking numbs my hands and arms. I had to disengage lane assist to cut down on driver interference. Contacted Volvo and they just threw the issue back to the dealer. The dealer has acknowledged the vibratioon and now the general manager tried to tell me on the phone that it’s normal, NO IT’S NOT! The loaner XC60’s I’ve had also had steering wheel shimmy. The dealer has really tried to accommodate me. It’s not right to return the car with the problem still evident.
im also having the vibration problem. I have an xc60 2018 in the US. We noticed the problem only recently and is most noticeable while driving on the freeway at speeds of 50 mph or higher. The vibration is noticeable to all 4 passengers of the car and very intense. I plan on taking it to the Dealership next week. Unacceptable to have this happen on such a new car

Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem with my XC60 and non-Pirelli tires. The tires had been repaired twice because of picking up nails on the highways. We were just living with the vibration since it wasn't bad enough to affect driving. Hit another nail. UGH. The tire shop could not repair it because it was a 3 inch nail and the way it damage the tire. Put brand new tires on the car and the XC60 drives smooth again.

I did have a bent wheel in the past too. That would cause unwanted vibration. Replaced the wheel and the problem was fixed.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Are you guys sure you aren't talking about the built in feature of the car that tells you when you are veering out of a lane? I thought I had vibration issues on my brand new 2019 until I looked at the instrument cluster. When you start to veer towards the lines there are two paralell lines on the cluster that turn yellow, I believe, that are white all the time. Its like built in rumble strips letting you know you are going out of your lane.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:07 PM
Default XC60 vibration 2018

hi

Has anybody found any answers to the highway vibrations at 115-120 kms/hr? I noticed the vibrations after I changed my all seasons to winters. I assumed that it was the winter wheels (after market) The vibrations continue even after switching to the factory fitted all seasons. My car has the 20 in continental tires.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by b3freak
I had the same problem with my XC60 and non-Pirelli tires. The tires had been repaired twice because of picking up nails on the highways. We were just living with the vibration since it wasn't bad enough to affect driving. Hit another nail. UGH. The tire shop could not repair it because it was a 3 inch nail and the way it damage the tire. Put brand new tires on the car and the XC60 drives smooth again.

I did have a bent wheel in the past too. That would cause unwanted vibration. Replaced the wheel and the problem was fixed.
Could I ask you what you bought for tires? I have an 2018 XC60 T6 with air suspense and have tired 3 different tires and they seem to fight the suspense. The Continental LX Sport were horrible in the rain. I put Pirelli DWS 06 on and this car hated them. I then put Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, These have been terrific. I have just over 30k in 14 months. The car has started to shake a low speeds, about 12-23 mph, then disappears. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Much appreciated.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 PM

I also have a vibration between 24-30km Volvo don’t want to accept that its a problem tried to say I had 3 bent rims in that case they sold it to me like that. Thing is I have in my past done vibration analysis and something is not balanced , 9 months later and many complaints I’m still waiting for Volvo to sort the problem out

Old 09-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by traveling in Africa
I also have a vibration between 24-30km Volvo don’t want to accept that its a problem tried to say I had 3 bent rims in that case they sold it to me like that. Thing is I have in my past done vibration analysis and something is not balanced , 9 months later and many complaints I’m still waiting for Volvo to sort the problem out
Did you purchase the car used? Was the car having vibration when you bought it or later?

Quick Reply: 2018 XC60 T5 Highway Vibration