Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/)
-   -   2019 XC60 questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/2019-xc60-questions-98389/)

JBxc60 11-18-2018 11:02 AM

2019 XC60 questions

More observation than question I guess.

I'm looking to trade my 2010 XC60 and went immediately back to Volvo to see the new models. I also looked at Audi and Mercedes and there's one thing I noticed that Volvo missed. Interior ambient lighting. The others have a low ambient light that helps light the console, door handles, etc. Even a friend's Ford has ambient lighting. For the $65,000 I'd pay for a top of the line T6, I wonder how Volvo missed this one item. :/

Brew1 11-20-2018 06:24 AM

I believe my Wife's 18 XC60 Inscription has some ambient lighting not sure whey they would have removed it on the 19.

kevinranders 11-20-2018 10:25 PM

I just got a 2019 XC60 and it DOES have some ambient light but it isn't very customizable (other than adjusting the intensity of it).

VXC60T6I 11-21-2018 07:24 AM

Two words.....Owners Manual....which one can easily download from Volvo. Before I bought my 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription, I downloaded the manual to check out the features of the car to make sure it had the features I wanted.

And any decent sales person should be able to answer a question about ambient lighting and demonstrate how it works.

You actually have quite a bit of control over the ambient lighting. You can change the color, intensity, etc. manually via the center console or you can let the car choose the color for you based on the temperature inside the vehicle.

VXC60T6I 11-21-2018 10:15 AM

BTW, the Swedes (or their Chinese owners?) are getting a little Germanic in their control systems. An example...you can set the driver seat and steering wheel heat to come on automatically when you start the car....and you can program them to come on in one of three settings. But here’s the Germanic “we know what’s best for you” control freak approach.....they only come on automatically if the algorithm in the control system decides that the ambient temperature is cold enough to warrant turning those function on automatically. So if your car is parked in a warmish garage, the steering wheel and seat heating will not go on automatically (not that it’s difficult to turn them on yourself) but if it’s sitting outside in the cold weather, then the car believes it’s cold enough and the automatic function works. And you can’t control at what point it decides it’s cold enough to warrant the auto function. And that’s all buried in one sentence in the owners manual under the auto seat heat function.

i has a 1991 BMW 750iL (brilliant road trip car) that had similar control freak issues with its heating functions. The German engineers decided what was best for you, and that was all there was too it. They knew best and you were not to question it!

as an engineer, I totally understand that approach. As an owner of the vehicle, I’d like to be the control freak, not the engineer/designer of the system that is locked down. I don’t know....maybe they are trying to make things idiot proof?

in any event, my point here is that the Owners Manual is worth reading on any new vehicle....in my opinion anyway. And I know what’s best for you! (LOL!!).

Happy Thanksgiving one and all.

JBxc60 11-21-2018 03:39 PM

Firstly, the salesman at Northpoint Volvo in Alpharetta GA didn't know anything about ambient lighting. He actually told me that it didn't have it when I asked.

Secondly, regarding Volvo being Germanic, I think they've gone Asian. The lights being on the signal stalk screams Honda to me, not Audi or Mercedes.

VXC60T6I 11-21-2018 07:52 PM

xgman 11-30-2018 03:16 PM

The xc60 19 ambient lighting is all but non existent. It is the worst of all premium or even semi premium cars. Even the Xc40 19 is miles ahead.

Ted Taylor 02-15-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBxc60 (Post 467733)
More observation than question I guess.

I'm looking to trade my 2010 XC60 and went immediately back to Volvo to see the new models. I also looked at Audi and Mercedes and there's one thing I noticed that Volvo missed. Interior ambient lighting. The others have a low ambient light that helps light the console, door handles, etc. Even a friend's Ford has ambient lighting. For the $65,000 I'd pay for a top of the line T6, I wonder how Volvo missed this one item. :/

Why would anyone want such a gimmick in a new car. One reason for buying a Volvo is they don't a) pipe fake exhaust sounds into the cabin, b) there is no option to scent the interior or c) no option for silly mood lighting.

flames9 02-17-2019 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Taylor (Post 470570)
Why would anyone want such a gimmick in a new car. One reason for buying a Volvo is they don't a) pipe fake exhaust sounds into the cabin, b) there is no option to scent the interior or c) no option for silly mood lighting.

Everyone has different "wants" in a new car..each their own! I do find it funny that the new 2019 Acura RDX has engine noise artificially piped in...why does anyone want a 4 banger noise piped in? each their own,lol

JBxc60 02-18-2019 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ted Taylor (Post 470570)

It's not mood lighting. It's lighting of the interior door handles and cat eye lighting of the center console.