Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2019 XC60 vs XC40

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2019 XC60 vs XC40

Hi,

We are looking to buy a new SUV and really like the XC60 but it is a bit expensive so we are also looking at the XC40.
My questions for the group are:

1) Is the XC60 worth the additional cost?
2) Is it very quiet - i.e., can't really hear road noise?
3) How is it going over bumps, etc - smooth suspension?
4) We would get the T5 - does this version show any signs of sluggishness when pulling onto the highway?
5) Have there been any recalls for the 2019?
6) How do folks with the 2019 like it so far? Any issues we should be aware of?
7) Lastly, if we were to get a pre-certified XC60 - would either 2017 or 2018 suffice - i.e., no major problems to report for each year?

Thanks Very Much!
John

Old 08-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from a 2015 LIncoln MKC to the 2019 XC60 Momentum T6. I test drove the XC40 and it was OK but I really did not like the rear end styling as much as the XC60. I lease my vehicles and I actually ended up with a lower lease payment on the XC60 than I would have gotten on the XC40 due to the residual value being higher on the XC60. I am glad that I went with the T6 rather than the T5....I like the additional power. I've only had the car 1 month but the gas mileage has been very good...better than the Lincoln. The vehicle is quiet and handles well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Countryguy:
Beauvo (01-18-2021), Tbob (01-15-2023)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Thanks!
A few friends also have told me they love the XC60...

Old 08-10-2019, 05:16 AM

I have the XC60 inscription D4. We looked at the XC40 R design Diesel and whilst it is a nice car to drive it has a lot less of the luxury features that you get in the XC60. It is also significantly smaller on the inside. We lease our car so we were able to get a much better deal on the XC60 vs the XC40 and get corporate service package (meaning we get 3 years of services free compared to none on the XC40. I am happy we went with XC60 over the XC40 however I have had a couple of problems with my car. Firstly in the first two weeks my entire dash went blank including my speedo whilst driving. It was only for a few seconds but it happened a few times. The car computer was reset and havent had this happen again. I also have the emergency brake collison thing come on while driving with no cars around me or a car turning right in another lane and suddenly my car break. Also today my car turned off while i was stationary and I had to turn it back on again manually. I am not sure why this is happening and have never had this issue with any car I have owned in the past.. plus my car is only about 5 months old... so in saying that maybe I am just unlucky?

Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Before purchasing my wife's XC60, we seriously looked at the new XC40. Personally, I was really frustrated with trying to drive the XC40.
1. The power was uneven and the engine 'buzzy'. Unlike the 60 and 90, the power had lag and then the turbo jumped in. The engine got noisy and buzzy.
2. Dash layout integrated into a big-*** middle of the dash tablet is terrible,. Want to adjust the climate controls? You need to take your eyes off the road to select the right screen tab. Then you need to look through the confusing graphics to figure out what adjustment to make. Want to change the radio station? Same drill; find correct tab, find radio, find station list...
3. About the tablet/screen: It is SLOW. Even if one knows how to flip through the tabs and menus, you have to keep looking to see if the motion or touch actually had the desired affect.

I know that Millenials are used to the tablet thing, but honestly, the XC40 clunky interface is flat out dangerous to use while driving.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Can't really answer that. My wife bought her XC60 before the 40 was out. But, she wouldn't have gone with the smaller car anyway.
2) I feel it is quiet, but my DD is a 2013 Mazda 3, so I don't have a good comparison. We have a 2015 Grand Cherokee that is also quiet. The Volvo is probably quieter than the GC.
3) To me, it's in between sporty-firm and compliant. It's better at taking a bump than taking a corner.
4) Everyone talks about needing the T6, but the T5 that my wife has has zero issues getting onto interstates. I live in a mountainous area and we have some very short onramps in places. If you dig in, it moves along quickly. You can also get the Polestar tune down the road if you need more "go" out of the T5.
5) Not sure about the 2019. Her 2018 had a recall for the liftgate strut. She never had any issue, but we went and had the recall performed.
6) Again, hers is a 2018, but she really likes it. I have to agree about the over-reliance on the touch screen for tasks like HVAC controls, etc... However, you can work them by voice command. I still prefer buttons, but you can always push the voice button and say "set temperature to 70 degrees" or "turn up fan" or "tune to channel 96.5."
7) I think the 2017 was the older design? I am pretty sure, but could be wrong, that the 2018 was the first year of the new design. We've had no issues in 20K miles, other than the liftgate recall. Her mileage in mixed (but mostly in-city) driving has been about 25mpg.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

1) extra cost? I think so..the XC40 was too small for what I wanted. The 2019 XC60 actually has less room than my 2016 Outback.....The XC90 was too big for my needs

2) I find it very quiet..no complaints

3) The ride is fine, about the same as my 2016 Outvack I traded in. I dont have air suspension on mine.....I didnt feel the 1 with air susepension was all that better......I had a loaner with air suspension for a week and yes it was a bit smoother, but for me, wasnt worth the extra cost..especially since I plan to keep it for many years and the are $$$$ to fix

4) I test drove the t5, and found it was fine, but wasnt super peppy....The T6 was much better......but I eneded up with a T8 Inscription.....Here in the USA you get a $5002 federal sales credit, so it brings it down to the T6 pricing...and some States gives rebates as well for electric vehicles. 95% of my driving is done on battery, so the T8 works well for me.....battery range is around 25 miles. Just did a 450 mile trip.....Gas mpg was 36 (calculated the old fashioned way...car computer said it was 39)

5) few minor recalls..

6) Love my XC 60.....The massaging seats work very well.....Only downfall is the usable space is less than my 2016 Outback

7) if your in the USA and getting a used 1..check out Steingold Volvo..they give great prices on Volvo extended warranties and you can usually find a discount code on Swedespeed

Old 08-19-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by flames9
1) extra cost? I think so..the XC40 was too small for what I wanted. The 2019 XC60 actually has less room than my 2016 Outback.....The XC90 was too big for my needs
I agree. I don't really understand the trend for either the super big, or super small hatch.I don't really like either.