Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2022 XC60 loses all sounds

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 04:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2022 XC60 loses all sounds

Hi Guys,

My wife keeps reporting to me that all sounds stop working occasionally, radio, indicator ticking, the lot. This is solved at the time by stopping the car, getting out and locking it. Once she gets back in its pot luck whether the sounds work again. Given enough tries it eventually springs into life. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there a permanent remedy? We have the latest software 1.8

The following 3 users liked this post by Joedunning7:
CoKroVolvo (02-01-2022), davids8125 (06-21-2022), molly1519 (11-17-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:11 PM
Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I had this happen to me twice so far.
The "secret reset button" solved it for me.
Hold the defroster button in for 10 seconds and it should reset the system. This is more of a "hard" reset than holding in the home button for 30 seconds, which is more "soft."

Old 02-02-2022, 03:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, this sounds like a plan. Do i do this when it happens next for each occasion it happens, or do it once at anytime and this will permanently fix the issue?

Sorry for all the questions, as you can imagine, my high maintenance wife is chewing my ear off to sort it out

Old 02-02-2022, 06:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joedunning7
Ok, this sounds like a plan. Do i do this when it happens next for each occasion it happens, or do it once at anytime and this will permanently fix the issue?

Sorry for all the questions, as you can imagine, my high maintenance wife is chewing my ear off to sort it out
I don't know that it "permanently" fixes the issue in the same way that "CTRL+ALT+DEL" unfreezes a windows computer. Until the next time.

And don't be sorry for the questions. Look around. You're in good - albeit frustrated - company. Lots of questions, few answers, zero reasons.

Also, just fyi, the "latest" software is now 1.9. But its a crap shoot whether or not you can download it yet. But keep an eye out for it. Nothing in the release notes indicates that it fixes any problems being discussed here, but who knows. We could get lucky.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joedunning7
Hi Guys,

My wife keeps reporting to me that all sounds stop working occasionally, radio, indicator ticking, the lot. This is solved at the time by stopping the car, getting out and locking it. Once she gets back in its pot luck whether the sounds work again. Given enough tries it eventually springs into life. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there a permanent remedy? We have the latest software 1.8
I've had something similar happen a couple times. iHeart Radio, Sirius XM and Spotify will all launch and show as playing, but there is no audio. I am able to fix it by holding in the center console button for 20-30 seconds to do a soft reboot. If you hold that button in for a couple seconds it displays the "Safe to Clean Your Screen" text, keep holding it for another 10-20 seconds and you will see the system reboot. Yours might be a different issue, but it's probably worth a try if you haven't already.

Other than that, my system has hard crashed a few times (screen goes purple or green, loud beeping sound and then no sound or display for 3-5 minutes until it reboots). This includes no sound when the turn signal is on, but I can at least see it flashing so it appears to still work even when these crashes occur.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue - radio going off and now intermittently crackling

I have booked my car in to get sorted , I have exactly the same issue where the radio goes off and the indicators start making a loud sound. This is totally intermittent and extremely annoying . I’m so glad it wasn’t just me and is happening to other people. It sometimes only happened for a matter of about 5 minutes - then it goes back to normal .
I now have an issue where all the radio stations start to crackle ( again occasionally) and I’ve also been on the hands free and the crackling goes through the phone - anyone else experiencing this . Definitely not the signal .

Old 09-05-2022, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sound loss

I just got a 2023 XC60. Today i plugged in my iphone and engaged carplay. All sound stop, the turn signal, radio, not even a pin drop could
be heard. I tried resetting my phone, pulled cable, etc. As a last resort, I turned the car off, got out, back in, started car and sound was back. so, this is still a problem in the 2023 model.

I had this same problem with a rental last week, a dodge SUV Durango. Very similar problem, plugged in my iphone with USB, engaged carplay, no sound. Disconnected the iphone, reset it, plugged back into car USB, sound came back. Did not have to turn car off.

It appears this is not unique to the XC60.

Hope Volvo has a fix.

The following 2 users liked this post by alfredm@fermen.com:
BusterOz (08-01-2023), David STTO (11-01-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:19 AM
Default XC 60 No Sound

I had the same issue this AM with my 2023 XC60. A 35 minutes ride with total silence is not how I like to start my day. Even turn signals were silent. I got out, lock the car, then got back in and everything was fine. Good to know about the reboot solution for next time as I am sure there will be a next time.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to mee too.
Reseting the infotainment worked for me (Home Button).

Had problems with teh GPS and the defrost worked too, so it is good to know all reset buttons.

Here are some hidden uses of several buttons:

Home button: (the rectangular button immediately below the center infotainment screen)​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the infotainment system.

Media Play/Pause button: (the round button in the center of the rotary volume control)​
  • Press and hold for ~5 seconds to turn the vehicle off without having to leave.

Front windshield defrost button:​
  • Press and hold for ~20 seconds to reboot the TCAM unit. (LTE / GPS / WiFi / etc)

The following 5 users liked this post by sidney_coelho:
jacko15 (10-20-2022), Jillann7 (12-11-2022), lance (10-21-2022), maga0015 (03-24-2024), mpmark51 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 02:25 PM

the home button restart worked for me. I had made a stop for groceries - everything OK. Got back in, started the car to silence.... Thanks for sharing

Old 02-11-2023, 09:05 AM
VAW
Default How do I know what software I have?

How do I know what software I have?

QUOTE=CoKroVolvo;507708]I don't know how that it "permanently" fixes the issue in the same way that "CTRL+ALT+DEL" unfreezes a windows computer. Until the next time.

And don't be sorry for the questions. Look around. You're in good - albeit frustrated - company. Lots of questions, few answers, zero reasons.

Also, just fyi, the "latest" software is now 1.9. But its a crap shoot whether or not you can download it yet. But keep an eye out for it. Nothing in the release notes indicates that it fixes any problems being discussed here, but who knows. We could get lucky.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-11-2023, 09:08 AM
VAW
Default No sound

Have 2022 XC60. Same issue. Have had no sound for three days. The seatbelt notification still works which is odd but good.
Will try one of the reset options today.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:52 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My center screen failed to come on after a short drive to pick up lunch. I lost all sound because of it. The dealer diagnosed the issue as a low 12V battery issue (reportedly the battery was at 33%). Was advised to get a trickle charger / battery maintainer if I don't drive it frequently.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by whydidibuythis
I've had something similar happen a couple times. iHeart Radio, Sirius XM and Spotify will all launch and show as playing, but there is no audio. I am able to fix it by holding in the center console button for 20-30 seconds to do a soft reboot. If you hold that button in for a couple seconds it displays the "Safe to Clean Your Screen" text, keep holding it for another 10-20 seconds and you will see the system reboot. Yours might be a different issue, but it's probably worth a try if you haven't already.

Other than that, my system has hard crashed a few times (screen goes purple or green, loud beeping sound and then no sound or display for 3-5 minutes until it reboots). This includes no sound when the turn signal is on, but I can at least see it flashing so it appears to still work even when these crashes occur.
In deed this solved the problem for now

Old 06-13-2023, 10:11 AM
Default 2023 XC60 losing all sounds

Unfortunately, my 2023 XC60 (3200 miles) just lost all sounds, e.g., radio, turn signal, collision alerts, etc. Did a reboot of the screen and sounds came back. Recently had the 2.9 software upgrade at dealer after losing all battery power and the car wouldn’t start (car was towed to a dealer an hour away).

Needless to say, if you’re hopeful that the 2.9 update corrects sound related bugs, I’d say it does not.
VERY FRUSTRATING!

Old 06-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by billw2
Unfortunately, my 2023 XC60 (3200 miles) just lost all sounds, e.g., radio, turn signal, collision alerts, etc. Did a reboot of the screen and sounds came back. Recently had the 2.9 software upgrade at dealer after losing all battery power and the car wouldn’t start (car was towed to a dealer an hour away).

Needless to say, if you’re hopeful that the 2.9 update corrects sound related bugs, I’d say it does not.
VERY FRUSTRATING!
This is disappointing to hear about v2.9.

It seems that these updates provide a few more toys each time for the app junkies, but are not addressing some of the underlying reliability issues these cars have been suffering for some time.

‘Volvo’ – less toys and more reliability please!

Old 07-26-2023, 03:25 PM

I have the XC60 2022 with version 2.10 - issue still present. Both the Bluetooth was crackling and sounding like a robot and later on I lost all sound.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by denstep
I have the XC60 2022 with version 2.10 - issue still present. Both the Bluetooth was crackling and sounding like a robot and later on I lost all sound.
Let us know if you take it to the dealer for diagnosis. I suspect they will simply upgrade the software and check the 12V battery's charge.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:27 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

These incessant updates are beginning to reek of total incompetence. For heaven’s sake, how many updates does a car need to keep getting, before it becomes a lost cause.

If you compare the multitude of Volvo with Microsoft updates, the majority of MS updates are for security reasons which is understandable and necessary. So, what on earth is Volvo’s excuse for so many updates? It feels like there are dozens of bored and fresh out of school Volvo coders, sat in a windowless basement dreaming up ways to amuse themselves by fixing and breaking, fixing and breaking, over and over again, with zero QA.

It’s really disappointing to see where Volvo is now, as it used to be held up as a strong premium brand. It’s still a lovely car to drive for comfort and style, but the infotainment system has become a massive millstone around Volvo’s neck.

The following users liked this post:
kmcr301 (04-05-2024)
Old 07-27-2023, 12:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by CoKroVolvo
I had this happen to me twice so far.
The "secret reset button" solved it for me.
Hold the defroster button in for 10 seconds and it should reset the system. This is more of a "hard" reset than holding in the home button for 30 seconds, which is more "soft."

using the defroster button as "Hard Reset Button". Never heard of this one before. how is it different than pressing and holding the Home button until it resets or doing a reset to factory conditions in the home screens system page? Thanks