Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

ABS sensor malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS sensor malfunction

Photo of the warning on my dashboard. This is a chronic problem

I've had to replace all 4 individual wheel ABS sensors due to malfunctions and 2 rear axles that are attached with the ABS sensors. I believe that is how it is explained to me. It's very expensive and each one malfunctioned at different times, so a different labor cost for each occurence.The dashboard will display the image of a vehicle with wavy lines behind it and it says, "ABS / DSTC Service required". There is a thumping/rattling type of feeling in my gas pedal and the ABS will engage on it's own, not allowing me to accelerate. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-22-2023, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started having this problem right away when I brought home my 2010 xc60 T6 Volvo. Where the abs light is on and the gas pedal pulsates for a few moments right at take off, then runs smoothly after that. I have been talking about it to a mechanic I know in my community, not wanting to spend a fortune if it's not needed, and we can't figure out the problem! It's been sitting in my driveway for the past two months. Did you get it fixed and how?

Old 01-22-2023, 06:40 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Amydolly24
I started having this problem right away when I brought home my 2010 xc60 T6 Volvo., and we can't figure out the problem!
There are common problems with the brand of abs control units used in your car. With the appropriate scan tools which your "mechanic you know in your community" might not have or be capable of understanding --- sorry I've done this a long time and hired many unqualified people. Anyway -

You may simply have a problem with your abs control unit. A service person familiar with Volvo ABS problems might be able to solve this for you. - In the southern US (where I live) I have never had to replace a bad abs wheel sensor (that was not damaged from something) - it might be more common in northern rust belt states - but not here.

These people offer a solution for a bad ABS control unit that does not require a software download (or dealer intervention)

https://xemodex.com/us/abs-control-modules-for-volvo/

Good luck with your ABS problems! ( and your tech that "can't figure it out")

Last edited by hoonk; 01-22-2023 at 06:46 PM.