Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Backup camera is sometimes too dark at night

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup camera is sometimes too dark at night

I just got a new 2024 xc60 and am trying to figure out some of its quirks. At night, when I put the car into reverse, sometimes the backup camera is fine. Sometimes it's completely dark.

I think I figured out that if I'm in the garage when the garage is well lit, the backup light doesn't turn on because the car thinks it's light out. But if I'm in a dark parking lot, the camera backup light works fine. Does anyone else have this issue? And does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I hate trying to backup blindly in the dark.
Thanks for any help.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:44 AM
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by caswow
I just got a new 2024 xc60 and am trying to figure out some of its quirks. At night, when I put the car into reverse, sometimes the backup camera is fine. Sometimes it's completely dark.

I think I figured out that if I'm in the garage when the garage is well lit, the backup light doesn't turn on because the car thinks it's light out. But if I'm in a dark parking lot, the camera backup light works fine. Does anyone else have this issue? And does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I hate trying to backup blindly in the dark.
Thanks for any help.
I have a '24 S60 and have the exact same issue. I took it back to the dealership and they could not find any issues. The camera will light up enough initially in a dark parking lot, but within a second or so it goes so dark that it is unusable. I'm still hunting for a solution. Sucks that i cant park in a dimly lit parking lot without getting out in the rain tl see if im parked straight. Smh. Lol.

Old 10-14-2023, 04:08 PM
Default Sorta fix

My service guy had me reboot the electronics. It seems to have helped. As long as I don’t change the camera view by pushing any buttons, and just let the car do its thing, it behaves correctly.

I just rebooted a couple days ago so we’ll see if it lasts.

Old 10-14-2023, 04:50 PM

Hmmm, I tried a hard and a soft reset with no results. Have you tried it in the dark yet? Did you do a soft reset, home button for 20 seconds? I'll try that again.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Default Reboot

Originally Posted by AshT
Hmmm, I tried a hard and a soft reset with no results. Have you tried it in the dark yet? Did you do a soft reset, home button for 20 seconds? I'll try that again.
I don’t know whether it was a hard or soft reboot but I held the home button for a while until it said it was resetting. It works at night now

Old 10-22-2023, 09:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ruh roh, Sounds like a 2024 model emerging issue to me...
Good luck guys and keep us posted on Software versions you're running, any workarounds, etc.

Old 10-23-2023, 06:59 AM
Default Backup camera is sometimes too dark at night

If the problem is that the car sometimes thinks it's daylight then one remedy could be to set the ambient Light sensor to slow. This sensor also controls the AC so one thing to check might be to observe if the AC turns on/off repetedly at hot wether as the car enters in/out of shady street areas. Setting the sensor to slow will also then make the AC somewhat slower in turning on/off.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Default Same issue...

Just got new XC60 Mild Hybrid, same issue - reversing camera is intermittently deciding if it wants me to see where I'm reversing or if it wants me to reverse using a dark to almost black screen at night. Day time camera visibility seems to be absolutely fine. It seems like a "smart" issue in that it is trying to use the surrounding light to decide if its night or day, light or dark... and currently it's making a complete mess of it. However, maybe per thread above it is simply a software problem we've all experienced at some stage before. Someone find the fix please otherwise I want my 2018 XC60 back! 😉

Old 11-14-2023, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by kjellerikan
If the problem is that the car sometimes thinks it's daylight then one remedy could be to set the ambient Light sensor to slow. This sensor also controls the AC so one thing to check might be to observe if the AC turns on/off repetedly at hot wether as the car enters in/out of shady street areas. Setting the sensor to slow will also then make the AC somewhat slower in turning on/off.
how do you set the ambient sensor?

Old 11-24-2023, 11:43 PM
Default More like some light sensor/SW issue

Same issue here with 2024 B5 Plus, during the night reverse camera works in default mode but goes to dark as soon as hit 360 view or other buttons to see different angles.

Other knit pick is, when entering in parking spot with closed surroundings (i.e. in between two cars), front camera comes automatically (which is good but not all the time, I believe previous sw had this enhancement based on closed proximity sensors) but as soon as you put in reverse backup camera comes with dark/no lights.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:44 AM
sft
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same with my '24 Recharge. 3000 miles with no issues, then now almost every dark reverse results in dark view. Looking for solutions. Will try reboots, but just saw on app that new OTA update will address. Should push to us soon, it seems.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sft
Same with my '24 Recharge. 3000 miles with no issues, then now almost every dark reverse results in dark view. Looking for solutions. Will try reboots, but just saw on app that new OTA update will address. Should push to us soon, it seems.
My '24 Recharge's backup camera is unusably dark at night, also. Tried rebooting and saw no improvement. I did see that the December software update is supposed to address some issues with the "360 Park Assist Camera" but not the backup camera. Wonder if the update description text was just inaccurate? Hoping for an improvement to the backup camera night view, because my dealership seems to have no idea about the issue and I haven't heard of another fix. Anyone else have any luck?

The following users liked this post:
sft (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 02:40 PM
sft

Just got OTA update. Installing now. Fingers crossed. Seems like a software issue. Car is outsmarting itself.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:29 PM
sft

Looks good in dark garage, 2 lights above license tag brightly lit in reverse. Easy short install of update.

The following 2 users liked this post by sft:
mvcoco (12-04-2023), Pearceage (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:46 AM

Where did you see that the OTA software patch was scheduled? I'm just wondering when we might see that, especially as it has worked. Per another thread on here, the UK dealerships seem to be unaware or using the old "Software Issue" in hope a patch is coming from the IT Gods at Volvo.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:11 AM
sft
Default look at app

App had release date of update as late November, and said install could be 2 weeks from release. Pushed to my 60 yesterday afternoon in Texas. I need to check it out more thoroughly, but so far looks promising.

Old 12-06-2023, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pearceage
Where did you see that the OTA software patch was scheduled? I'm just wondering when we might see that, especially as it has worked. Per another thread on here, the UK dealerships seem to be unaware or using the old "Software Issue" in hope a patch is coming from the IT Gods at Volvo.
Mine was available in settings on my '24 XC60 Recharge on Dec. 5th (in US). I installed it last night; seems to have worked but I didn't do a bunch of testing. Will check out it in more detail tonight.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:19 PM

Following up after testing it last night--the update didn't really help with the dark backup camera issue. Disappointing.

Old 12-10-2023, 02:38 PM
fpb

I have this problem on my new 2024 xc60. They have not found a fix yet. I'm going to file with the state's lemon law.

Old 12-10-2023, 02:41 PM
fpb

I am having the same issue. The dealership doesn't have an answer. I can't use my car at night to back up because it is way too dark. It's a safety issue.

Quick Reply: Backup camera is sometimes too dark at night