Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/)
-   -   BRAKE REPLACEMENT Q’s (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/brake-replacement-q%92s-96056/)

asaychow 04-08-2018 01:15 AM

BRAKE REPLACEMENT Q’s

Hey all,

I have a 2012 XC 60 that sounds like it needs new brake(s) pads? I started hearing a grinding noise randomly when I’m driving. I’ve had my car for 2yrs. When I got it, it was around 25k miles. Now it’s at 55k miles. My Cousin looked at it and showed me the difference between my front brake pads and rear brake pads. The rear ones were close to slim. I went and bought the pads but couldn’t figure out how to put them on. After calling around for quotes, I was told that my vehicle uses a computer code to unlock the rear brakes to be able to take them off? I’m so confused and have looked online most of the day til I found this forum. Has anyone done their own brakes? My boyfriend has tried and failed twice. Lol. I’m just trying to reach out to anyone before I have to bring it into the dealership. I just feel like they’re going to charge me and arm and a leg. Any feedback is greatly appreciate.

TIA!

Daytona 04-16-2018 01:09 AM

Hi Asaychow, I hope I am not too late for this reply to be useful, I did mine a couple of weeks ago.
Thje main thing you need to do is disconnect the drive motor then wind the piston back in, please see link below for more details.
Rear Brake Pad Replacement with EPB
I hope this helps.

asaychow 04-16-2018 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona (Post 458776)
Hi Asaychow, I hope I am not too late for this reply to be useful, I did mine a couple of weeks ago.
Thje main thing you need to do is disconnect the drive motor then wind the piston back in, please see link below for more details.
Rear Brake Pad Replacement with EPB
I hope this helps.

Hi there! I was able to have my mechanic who does my oil changes change them for me. He allowed me to buy the parts & charged me only for labor. Thank the Lord! He has quite a bit of trouble but got my rear brakes done. My front brakes are in solid condition and so he didn’t change them. He didn’t have the correct Allen wrench to unscrew something? So, He asked me to find a 9mm and bring my car back to the shop. Said something about the rear and front took different tools? I didn’t kno Volvos were such a hassle to repair/upkeep. For some reason, the 2012’s are the only ones like this. He looked them up and the year before and after are the same? Anywho, I’m just glad I was able to get it taken care of for a fraction of what the dealership would’ve charged me.

Thank you!

asaychow 04-19-2018 08:22 PM

So, I’m having trouble finding what tool/wrench I need to do my front brakes. Can you tell me what you used, Daytona? My mechanic doesn’t have the right one and sent me out looking for a hex head in a specific size and I can’t find it!