Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Check engine light after refueling in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light after refueling in New Jersey

Visiting my daughter and son-in-law in New Jersey, where you cannot fuel your own vehicle (we are from New York). So I pulled in and put the car in park and the Start/Stop turned off the engine off. The attendant filled and within seconds of pulling out of the station the check engine light came on. According to manual it will come on if the gas cap is removed while the engine is running. Even though the engine was not technically running I believe it was still in the on mode, hence the check engine light. Then I started getting all sorts of flashing warnings, BLISS not functioning, auto headlights malfunctions, ABS light flashing on and off rapidly (never stayed on) and some other lights I can't remember. I had 2 messages in the message center about BLISS not functioning and belts and doors, even though everyone had their seat belts on and all the doors were closed. By the time we pulled into the driveway, everything seemed to settle down, except the CEL. I turned the car off and then back on and there were no more messages in the message center, but the CEL was still on. I have a reader at home which we are leaving for tomorrow. I intend on taking a drive in the morning before we leave to see if things are OK. Should I find a Volvo dealer before I leave?

Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 PM

Left for home this morning, about 250 mile trip. Got about 100 miles when everything went south, including transmission going into some safe mode. Pulled into a rest area and when we went to leave it would't shift out of 3rd. pulled over and called Volvo. got towed to Pollock Volvo where they discovered the thermostat temperature sensor failed and shorted out the engine control module. So we rented a car and drove home, hoping it will be fixed by next Tuesday so we can drive back down to PA.and get our car back, probably a 6 hour round trip...YEA

Old 10-19-2018, 07:50 PM

Well that sucks! Sorry you had to go through that...

How n any miles on your XC?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 PM

Thanks couldn't agree more. About 22,000. As of Friday parts were overnighted and car will be ready Monday. I just hope there aren't any side effects, we really like this car, the rental Chevy Malibu we rented is a horrible replacement.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Picked car up yesterday, everything is back to normal. They replaced the electronically controlled thermostat, the coolant, the ECM and the little wire that connects the normal battery to the start/stop battery, it was corroded. All told about $1800 repairs under warranty. I will be submitting car rental to Volvo Trip interruption. I had no idea the thermostat was electronically controlled. I was wondering if anyone else had had problems with this part.