Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Current Generation XC60 Thoughts Needed

Old 01-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Current Generation XC60 Thoughts Needed

Hi, my wife is shopping for a smaller vehicle to replace her 2007 XC90. She's largely happy with it but we don't need the third row of seats and with it just being the two of us (plus dogs) she doesn't need that much cargo capacity. I have a trailer, a long-bed truck, and access to my parents' mini-van if I need to haul something large in a pinch.

So...she's looking at the XC60. We went to a regional car show and I did like it. I wasn't sure about the center stack. She's not very tech savvy and it looked a little disorganized at first glance--hard for her to use without taking her eyes off the road too long.

Here is what is most important to her (and somewhat for me with her driving it.)

Safety (I know it's well rated, like most/all Volvos.)
Reliability (I am mostly referring to everything that makes it go or stop.)
Hands Free Phone and navigation so she doesn't have to use the phone's.
Good gas mileage (a relative term in this category--but must be somewhat better than the 19-20 she's averaging in the XC90)
Heated seats (actually, that may come first on her list! Hahaha.)

Those of you who have experience with the current generation, what do you like and dislike?

I am wondering if there is a redesign in the near future that might bring some of the new XC90's cabin touches into the 60? Anyone know of a timetable for the next refresh or redesign?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have what I guess is the first generation - a 2010 T6 AWD. Here's my take:

- Gas mileage sucks but that's because it's AWD, I guess
- Bluetooth connects fine to my phone but there's no voice command. You have to look at your phone or use the phone book IF your phone fully syncs with the car's system. My first phone, a Blackberry did but my brand new Android does not. (note: my new android phone does have voice commands but I have to pick it up and speak to it. The built in speaker in the car doesn't hear me speaking)
- I think they call come with heated seats. Mine are great. So is seating in general.

All in all, it's a good vehicle. I now have 103,000 miles and have had very few problems.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by JBxc60; 01-16-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There is a redesign coming within the next 3 years. All Volvos will be built on the SPA platform (which is what the current XC90 and S90 are).

Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the new model is set for a 2018 launch.

I have a 2009 XC60. Coming to it after 12 years of driving Jaguars, I feel as is I have stepped out of the gentleman's club & walked into Ikea. I find it rather agricultural but, to be polite, I call it purposeful. If you are coming to one after an XC90, I guess you already know what to expect but will appreciate the nimbleness.

The fuel consumption on my D5 auto is a million miles from those published; 26-28 mpg is the norm.

Funny you should mention the flying buttress centre console. Mine has the 'scandinavian light oak' finish, which I find very Ikea & the dial surrounds look like the lids off Ikea coffee tins. Those instruments are poor. They need concentrating on to read the speed & the night time illumination is pathetic as the needles are not lit.

The sat nav is a long, long way from being intuitive. Volvo must realise that because they appear to change it's controls every couple of years.

If you are contemplating a new one, do try one with Privacy Glass before specifying it. I hate it. The rear view mirror is constantly dim, like the night setting on other cars & I find the change in visibility between clear glass & the heavy tint when you are reversing particularly un-settling.

Overall, I quite like the beast & am comfortable driving it. I expect I shall keep it for a few years.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Hey all, thanks for the feedback. It's very helpful. Regarding gas mileage, the 2.0T promises better mileage than in the prior engines, but EPA and real world can be different. She's not a leadfoot , so that should help.

My comment about the center stack was mainly about how busy it looks--especially with the number pad.

Regarding the comment about no voice command and difficult navigation, that might prompt a wait-for-the-next-generation decision because easy-to-use is pretty important there.

I was kind of joking about the heated seats. She does want them, but I think you are right about them being standard.

Coming out of a 2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback, I don't really enjoy driving her XC90. It's a good vehicle, but not great fun to drive. Something remotely more nimble would be great.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 AM

Might be a bit late on the thread but just returned to the forum as looking to replace a 3 year old XC60 Company Car.

My current one is the new(er) 2L Diesel FWD (not AWD). I don't drive like a nun and get around 40-42MPG. My daily commute is about 35 miles, 50% on motorway, 15% dual carriageway, 35% 30MPH urban roads.

Safety wise, I've not crashed so in my opinion, it's pretty safe. I've got adaptive cruise control and that's certainly helped at times, as has city safe.

Reliability over the last 2y9mths has been pretty good. Had one oxygen sensor go down early doors but nothing since then.

Hands free works fine for my Iphone. Had Windows phones, Iphone 6 and 7 all connected to it. Bluetooth streams audio as well as phone functions.

Not got satnav as ran out of budget but I suspec that like many cars, the in-built satnav will possibly not be great compared to Tomtom (just my opinion).

Heated seats are great. Got them in the back as one day in the future, the kids may be choosing my nursing home so good to look after them too.

Overall, I'm pleased with it. I researched a lot when I first got the car and was concerned about the 'clutter' of the central console. Personally, it doesn't bother me any more. I've set auto climate and can't really remember the last time I changed anything. I turn the heated seats on and off. The rest I pretty much do from the steering wheel.

Mine's up for replacement in July and I've been searching hard for a replacement that's as comfortable, got as much kit, rides as well, as efficient, as clean (hate giving more to the tax man than I have to) and is affordable. I've failed so for the first time in my car buying history, I'm having the same again (different colour and now including satnav so it will feel different).

There's a new one out I think for launch late 2017 that has the new 'ipad' style console. I think AWD only so higher cost and lower efficiency. I can't wait for then so going with the last of the current model.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:51 PM

I bump this because I totalled my xc90 and I'm interested in getting an XC60, but not sure which one!
I liked my 2006 XC90 except for some quality issues, especially a leak from the windshield. Mechanically it was fine.
NOW, My budget only allows me to purchase a 2010 or 2011 xc60 OR a 2015 with 100k miles.
Which year is best? By the way, I want a 2wd and the rearview/back up camera is a must. Also, bluetooth for the phone is important. The only reason why I even consider buying the 2015 T5 with 100k miles is because of the newer electronics and the fuel efficent engine. Car looks like new, except, err it has a good deal of miles.
Any opinions? T5 or 3.2?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM

I really liked my 2015 XC60 with 99380 miles vehicle until yesterday but here are my general issues:
1. When you back up the vehicle raises cain about things in front of you. I very rarely park my vehicle where there is not a bush, another car, a parking stop, or a wall in front of it. So you tend to ignore the warning because you get it everytime you back up. I just hope I don't ignore it on the day someone is behind me.
2. If you have the TVs in the car, you have to have them on in order to use your auxillary plug in your console. It took the two local dealers 2 years and 7 visits to figure that out. I use an mp3 player for my music because my phone is constantly beeping and it interrupts my music.
3. Gas mileage is not what they say but it is not that bad. I use mine mainly on the interstate so you don't get the benefit of the engine shutoff when you are on the interstate.
4. It does bizarre things every once in a while and the dealership says nothing is wrong (I have seen several complaints posted about this) The mirrors will turn down or fold in with no warning, it does not see 18 wheelers on the blind spot warning (I guess they sit too high), the display for the radio with go blank occasionally. All of these things fixed themselves, but the mirrors stayed folded in for 4 days before they decided to unfold. (I couldn't get it to the dealership before they corrected)

Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Thank you so much all of you (and Kelly!). It is frustrating to find a good car for the family nowadays! I feel like a very old fellow but.. they don't make them as they used to anymore!!!!
Been looking at Lexus rx and they have all kinds of little things going bad, besides some transmission issues. And XC60's also have some ridiculous problems going on.
My car (acura) does Not give me any issues whatsoever... but is painfully uncomfortable and gets lots of road noise at high speeds. That's why I miss my volvo (which was totaled) cuz the seats were super comfy and I could do 80mph and have a normal conversation with my wife.

I might opt for a 3.2 xc60, we'll see. (I read Kelly's problem with the T5).

Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Default 2015.5 xc60 t5

I bought a new 2015.5 XC60 T5 Platinum Drive-E. I have driven it approximately 39000 trouble free miles over the past 2.5 years and I am still in love with the car. Averages around 26 mpg in town and 32+ mpg highway. Voice command Navigation can be a little challenging at first, voice command hands free phone is a breeze. Heated seats are great, yet my favorite comfort feature is the heated steering wheel!! Cold hands on a warm steering wheel is wonderful beyond description.

The center stack is busy and can be a visual distraction if you do not learn and use the voice command system. A richly featured car is going to have a lot of buttons and take some time to learn what all those buttons do. Utilizing the voice command system will keep your eyes on the road ahead.

Safety - Setting the adaptive cruise control with brake assist is fantastic for stop and go traffic. The car will follow traffic to a complete stop and restart and all you have to do is steer, never touching the brakes nor accelerator.
Safety - I have had the collision warning with full auto brake assist with avoiding a couple close calls. It is fantastic to have a car that is looking out for you. And the LCMA Lane Change Merge Aid keeps you from drifting out of your lane.

Safest car I have EVER owned. Would buy another XC 60 in a heart beat and recommend them to everyone looking for an affordable, ultra safe comfortable car.

Currently seriously considering trading for the 2018 when they become available.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. Since there is indeed a new version coming out in 2018, she's going to wait and see. It looks really nice. I've historically bought slightly used but if she really likes the new model, it would mean another year or two wait to do that.

I saw you can build one on the Volvo site now, but it doesn't have pricing. Just from the looks and features, it feels like it would cost a bit more than the current model, but I hope not. I found it odd that a towing package was not available in the online builder...

Old 06-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI the pricing is there now on the volvo website if you build a new XC60.

Regarding gas mileage I have been accused of driving like an old man and my commute to work is largely highway. My T6 AWD pulls mid 20s regularly under those conditions which is fine by me. I bought it used for half the price of a new one. 25K will buy a lot of gas and that six cylinder is wonderful to put around in. I have driven the new T5 and T6 when I took the X in for service. The new engines are thrashy sounding in comparison. The added gears of the 8 speed and the supercharger on the T6 give you a very similar acceleration feel compared to my 2014 but it's just not quite the same. I picked my T6 because it was a "base" T6. It didn't have the premium sound, BLIS or heated seats. The new T6 I drove had everything and I really really don't like all the nannyies. The lane departure vibration warning goes off when you drive through highway construction where the old lines are still present and if there is a transition or bump it can make for a fun moment especially when there is a barrier on one side and a rig on the other. I also dislike the lights that glow when you are following too close. In (not) rush hour traffic staring at them gets old fast and you have to make constant adjustments to increase distance to turn them off again when people move into your lane (constantly). Granted you can turn all the nannies off but if I'm going to do that and the performance of my 2014 is the same or a bit better than a newer and much more expensive T6 then why not buy the used one and try to burn an extra 20K in gas over the lifetime of the car?

One side note, my wife averages closer to 14-16 mpg when she drives the X but we're still not even close to closing the cost gap between our 14 and the new X.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Default 2013 XC60 T6AWD Polestar

At 90,000 miles. In fact, it's in for the 90k service as I write. Added Polestar chip when purchased. It's a great car. Extremely reliable. Gas mileage is terrible, but gas is pretty inexpensive.
Software updates along the way have helped.
Considering buying the next generation next year if the T8Polestar is good. It's a shame they dropped the inline 6. Current loaner is a V60 T5 with underpowered 4 cylinder.
Long time Volvo family. Currently own 2016 XC70 wagon, 2009 S60, 2000 Crosscountry wagon. Just great cars.
You can get a very good deal on a gently used current generation XC60. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Has anyone placed an order for the new 2018 XC60