Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Disabling cellular radio and other ways to preserve privacy

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling cellular radio and other ways to preserve privacy

Hey all,

My husband just picked out a new XC60. I'm focused on privacy and security for work, and the fact that many new cars today are proprietary rolling spy platforms bothers me. I think that's something we all should be working against. I don't want the car uploading any information, downloading any information, or storing any information from the sensors it has without me having control over that behavior. MA has made some progress with Right to Repair, which is great!

It seems like the XC60 comes with an Android touchscreen-computer-thing. Volvo says you don't have to be logged in to Google's systems, which is better than forcing account + login, but I bet you're still individually identifiable to Google anyway. I can probably live with the Android stuff if I turn off all the data sharing options, but it'd be better if I could root it and have much more control. I don't know if there's anyone working on that / if there's a place out there where people discuss this sort of thing for Volvos specifically. Any ideas?

As for data going to Volvo, I want there to be zero. I don't want them having the ability to know where I am, I don't want them to be able to shut off my car remotely, etc. I don't care that the assist button won't work, we always have one or more cell phones. Is there a way to make this happen in software, or am I going to have to pull the cellular radio?

Resale value isn't important to me, we tend to keep cars a very long time.

Thanks! This community looks great, excited to join. Very cool car.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why in the heck would you buy this car then? There are other options.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:03 PM

Most new cars include something like this, and it wasn't really my decision. It's my husband's car, he picked it out. I'm the technically competent privacy and security nerd, though, so this aspect is on my plate.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartree232ll
I don't want the car uploading any information, downloading any information, or storing any information from the sensors it has without me having control over that behavior. MA has made some progress with Right to Repair, which is great!
Do you have a cell phone? If yes you are being tracked wherever you go and every keystroke or search is in a database somewhere. (That's how google maps works with traffic!) Every search on your computer is being sold to someone to advertise in your feed. Most/all modern/new cars have black boxes in them - that record what you do and what happens. Either we live with that, or we buy 20 year old cars, don't have a cell phone, don't use a PC, don't use a credit card, and ____fill in the blank.

There are many that live like that. I don't like being under surveillance either - but that's the way it is now.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:45 AM

There are many that live like that. I don't like being under surveillance either - but that's the way it is now.
I can understand feeling that way, but there are options. Yes, I do have a cell phone, but I'm very difficult to track or monetize. Here are some things you can do:
  • Run a free-as-in-freedom operating system, like GrapheneOS, CalyxOS, or LineageOS on your phone. These are all versions of Android where all of the code is out in the open so you're minimizing the black box aspect. You and others can see exactly what the software is doing. The simplest thing to do would be buy a Pixel 5 or 6 and install CalyxOS--it won't talk to Google unless you tell it to.
  • Set up your cell service using a prepaid account (you don't have to give a name, so the telco has no idea who you are), or if you must have postpaid set up postpaid service but use a fake name and pay with a virtual credit card from e.g. privacy.com
  • Don't install garbage apps where you are the product vs. the customer. Run free and open-source apps from F-Droid, a FOSS app repository
  • Don't use Google for search, use DuckDuckGo. It's as good or better. Bang codes are awesome.
  • Don't sign in to Chrome. Better yet, don't use Chrome, use Firefox
  • Block all ads. It's 2021, there is no reason you should ever see an ad on your phone or surfing the web. uBlock Origin.
  • Navigate with OrganicMaps instead of Google Maps. It's not as good, but it works and since it uses OpenStreetMaps you can download the maps for entire countries and have no need of a data connection. If you must use Google Maps, set it so it only has data and location permission while you're using it.
  • Install and run Linux instead of Windows or MacOS. Windows is garbage spyware. You are the product, and it treats you that way. Instead of Windows, try out Ubuntu. It's a version of Debian Linux that's very easy to use. It should "just work". MacOS is still more on the side of you being the customer, but it's still not great.
It will take some getting used to, but once it's all set up it's no harder than the world where you're constantly tracked, monetized, and advertised to.