Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Electric fans-ac system

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric fans-ac system

Hello Ladies and Gents

I have an issue with my XC60 T6 AWD. Car will get hot after driving for over 20 minutes BUT ONLY if i am in heavy traffic or if i am at a stop light for a long time. Also the AC will get hot or just outside temp.

I have noticed that the fans will not turn on while driving. Also I have noticed that they will turn on after i turn off the car after a 15 minute or longer drive.

Usually in the AM i can hear them running for a maybe 20 30 seconds before the turn off but again i will not hear them until i turn off the car once i arrive at my destination.

I have changed the Fan control module with an EBAY unit but no luck, not sure if part i got might also be defective.

I have read that low Freon will make the compressor tun on and off various times and will mess with the fans not detecting the temp?? But why would both fans not turn on? Isn't one for the condenser and one for the radiator?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-27-2022, 02:09 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by COBRAVENUM
XC60 T6 AWD.

Car will get hot after driving for over 20 minutes BUT ONLY if i am in heavy traffic or if i am at a stop light for a long time. Also the AC will get hot or just outside temp.

I have noticed that the fans will not turn on while driving.
I have changed the Fan control module with an EBAY
I have read that low Freon will make the compressor tun on and off various times
Your first step should be to scan the car with an compatible scanner. With that tool you can tell if the fan control module is getting a signal and usually runs the cooling fan at their various speeds.

Your engine (T6) has a variable displacement compressor. The displacement valve goes bad and then the ac won't blow as cold as it should or takes a long time to cool down. You need to get the fan situation working correctly first before you consider an AC problem - the ac won't blow cold at all if the electric fans are not working properly or if the engine is overheating.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=hoonk;511073]Your first step should be to scan the car with an compatible scanner. With that tool you can tell if the fan control module is getting a signal and usually runs the cooling fan at their various speeds.

Your engine (T6) has a variable displacement compressor. The displacement valve goes bad and then the ac won't blow as cold as it should or takes a long time to cool down. You need to get the fan situation working correctly first before you consider an AC problem - the ac won't blow cold at all if the electric fans are not working properly or if the engine

Wouldn't the Fans running after i turn off the car say that the fan control module is getting signal. I think i left that part out in my Original post. So lets say i go out for a drive and i catch some heavy traffic and or some a street with heavy lights and sit at red lights. If i do not start moving i may get a message that the temp is getting high as soon as i start moving and front of car gets some wind that message goes away. As soon as i get to my destination and get out and lock the car i usually hear the fans start to run, and depending on how heavy of a drive it was i can hear the different speed of the fans from full blast to a constant medium flow and then they shut off after I'm guessing it goes below a certain temp. Its just when i am driving that they wont turn on.

Thank you.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:46 AM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

The 6 cyl thermostats are known to break. Have replaced many. Fan should come on with engine temp so that’s where a good scan tool comes in handy- giving you real time information about what’s happening