Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

How to activate wireless charging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 01:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question How to activate wireless charging?

Hello!

Trying to activate wireless charging on my 2022 XC60 for the first time.

Here, Volvo says that "The charging pad's default mode is not activated. " and to...
  1. Go to settings at the bottom of the center display and then tap Controls.
  2. Activate or deactivate the wireless phone charger.
  3. Confirm to activate the charger.
There is no such switch/setting in the Controls menu in my car.
The dealer is of no help.

Has anyone figured out how to activate wireless charging?

Thank you!

Old 08-24-2021, 07:12 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts
Default To activate wireless phone charging XC60 T8

Mr Vee
My car is a 2021 XC60 T8 and the page in the manual is essentially like yours. I just went out to the garage and tried mine to find it. Here's what you do: Swipe the screen to the right to see a bunch of settings. The one to activate the wireless phone charging should be the one on or near the very bottom. You may have to scroll the page up to find it then you just click it either on or off.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. You get an extra 10 miles on your battery over mine LOL

Old 08-24-2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Mr Vee
My car is a 2021 XC60 T8
Swipe the screen to the right to see a bunch of settings
That's what the rep at the dealer's service department told me over the phone, too - but I think the user interface on the 2022 model must be different.
There is no left/right swiping on my screen - only up and down.

The sales person acknowledged that and said he's looking into it - it's been a week...

Old 08-24-2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Vee
That's what the rep at the dealer's service department told me over the phone, too - but I think the user interface on the 2022 model must be different.
There is no left/right swiping on my screen - only up and down.

The sales person acknowledged that and said he's looking into it - it's been a week...
There is, do you have your map full screen ??? If so, click the arrow in the bottom right to reduce it's size. Then you'll have one or two horizontal bars for phone or music or whatever was last open down there. Swipe from one of those to the right. Then when you get the other screen, swipe it up. Let us know if that worked please.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:37 PM

There is, do you have your map full screen ??? If so, click the arrow in the bottom right to reduce it's size. Then you'll have one or two horizontal bars for phone or music or whatever was last open down there. Swipe from one of those to the right. Then when you get the other screen, swipe it up. Let us know if that worked please.
When Google maps is in full screen, the icon in the bottom right is the gear icon, which takes me to the settings screen.
There's no arrow icon in the bottom right in the Google maps view.
The settings screen shows a list of sections, kind of like the settings menu on my Galaxy Note: here, it's
  • Driving
  • Sound
  • Connectivity
  • Controls
  • Etc
There's no left/right swiping in that list, just like there's no left right swiping in the list of settings on my phone.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:02 PM

When Google maps is in full screen, the icon in the bottom right is the gear icon, which takes me to the settings screen.
There's no arrow icon in the bottom right in the Google maps view.
The settings screen shows a list of sections, kind of like the settings menu on my Galaxy Note: here, it's
  • Driving
  • Sound
  • Connectivity
  • Controls
  • Etc
There's no left/right swiping in that list, just like there's no left right swiping in the list of settings on my phone.
Ok, the OS switch to Google for 2022 must have a difference. Can you minimize your map? If so, then try swiping to the left and right. Otherwise check your "2022" manual or go to the dealer and see their 'tech' guru.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:19 PM

Otherwise check your "2022" manual or go to the dealer and see their 'tech' guru.
Which is where I started in my original post
Done both of these things.
The manual mentions a menu option that doesn't exist.
The dealer is "researching the question".

Old 08-31-2021, 10:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got my 2022 XC60 Recharge, and I had this problem as well. In addition, I was not able to get the map to show in the instrument panel. I had to factory reset the car (for an unrelated reason), and after setting everything back up, the map appeared and the option in settings to enable wireless charging appeared.

The following users liked this post:
Cruiter (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:53 AM
Default Factory Reset ???

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed on that one but apparently it worked for you. Do you think that would correct the issues mentioned at the top of this thread for others ???
Anyway, thanks for posting. Your screen is different but at the same time somewhat similar to my 2021 T8.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:59 AM

The 2022 uses Android Automotive OS, so it will look a bit different. Normally I wouldn't recommend factory resetting, but it worked in this case. I am 100% certain that the wireless charging option was not there before the factory reset. I'll go back out and get the software version and update in another reply.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:07 AM

Here is the version info:

Old 08-31-2021, 11:32 AM

Fascinating, thank you for sharing!

Dare I ask... How do you do that, how do you factory reset the car?

Do I need to press with a pin a tiny button on the engine?

Old 08-31-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bamapookie
I was not able to get the map to show in the instrument panel
There's supposed to be a map in the instrument panel??

Now that makes sense... I thought it was just a really poor UI to have this useless black rectangle in the middle, between the speed and the RPM.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:41 AM

Fascinating, thank you for sharing!

Dare I ask... How do you do that, how do you factory reset the car?

Do I need to press with a pin a tiny button on the engine?
Settings gear (bottom right corner), then System, then Reset Options, then Erase all data (factory reset)

The following users liked this post:
Cruiter (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 11:43 AM

There's supposed to be a map in the instrument panel??

Now that makes sense... I thought it was just a really poor UI to have this useless black rectangle in the middle, between the speed and the RPM.
Press this button to see the map:

If no map shows up, you have the same problem as me, and the factory reset fixed that too.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bamapookie
Press this button to see the map:

If no map shows up, you have the same problem as me, and the factory reset fixed that too.
That's right, no map for me - just a zoom in or zoom out (on 2nd press) animation of the outer gauges, and a blueish display glitch in the black rectangle in the middle - but it stayed black.

Resetting tonight! High hopes!

Old 08-31-2021, 03:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wireless charging heating issue (22 vxc60)

Well, initially i had to do factory rest to het wireless charging option show up on settings,
after that whenever i want to use wireless charging after few mins the phone catching lot of heat .. once my phone shut down automatically!!

and charging panel is weird .. if the phone position changes while driving.. some times stops charging !!! (might be phone issue also)

donno what to do ..

Old 08-31-2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by vynu
Well, initially i had to do factory rest to het wireless charging option show up on settings,
after that whenever i want to use wireless charging after few mins the phone catching lot of heat .. once my phone shut down automatically!!

and charging panel is weird .. if the phone position changes while driving.. some times stops charging !!! (might be phone issue also)

donno what to do ..
If the phone's inductive cool isn't lined up properly with the charger's coil, you will get a lot of heat. I still need to play around with positioning to find the sweet spot. Once I do, I'll use the sliding covers to keep the phone positioned properly.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:44 PM
Thumbs up

Resetting tonight! High hopes!
It worked! The setting to activate wireless charging is now in the menu, and I have a Google maps view in what used to be a black rectangle.

I am just incredulous that the dealership would give me a car that hasn't been properly set up.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:11 PM

I am just incredulous that the dealership would give me a car that hasn't been properly set up.
They might not know. The 2022 XC60 is just starting to come out. I would let them know what you did, and let them know to check the map and charger setting.

Quick Reply: How to activate wireless charging?