Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/)
-   -   Interior Noise (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/interior-noise-99196/)

ETHYL 02-21-2019 12:00 AM

Interior Noise

My 2018 XC60 T6 exhibits a drumming type sound. Its gets worse at higher speeds.The Volvo service manger heard it and put the car on the lift but could not find the source, He thinks it may be the tires that causing this drumming sound. Original equipment tires are 19" nitrogen filled all season Pirelli scorpion zero. Anyone with these same size and type tires mounted on a xc60 T6 hear this strange sound?

mt6127 02-21-2019 04:01 PM

could be tires or a wheel bearing. My VW CC eats tires as soon as it gets even a little bit out of alignment so now my summer tires are louder than my snows! If its a wheel bearing you may hear the sound change when turning one way but not the other (ie turning left increases the load on the right wheels).

I'd suspect the tires as well. Some tire brands are notorious for cupping (cheaper Conti's come to mind) - the only thing to do is try a front/rear rotation for now and when you get new tires, consider doing a rotation and alignment check every 5000 miles.

KellyfromVA 02-23-2019 07:25 PM

My bet is still on tires. My wife's XC60 makes a similar noise, particularly when the tires are cold.

ETHYL 03-08-2019 08:35 PM

Tire noise problem

Originally Posted by ETHYL (Post 470778)
My 2018 XC60 T6 exhibits a drumming type sound. Its gets worse at higher speeds.The Volvo service manger heard it and put the car on the lift but could not find the source, He thinks it may be the tires that causing this drumming sound. Original equipment tires are 19" nitrogen filled all season Pirelli scorpion zero. Anyone with these same size and type tires mounted on a xc60 T6 hear this strange sound?

Just found out Pirelli makes the same tire (235/55R19 105 svxl ) but now it has the following letters PNCS molded on the side wall to identify a sound absorbing device applied to the inside circumferential wall of the tire. Has anyone had these installed recently. If so are they quieter

Electrik 07-01-2020 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ETHYL (Post 470778)

I I have a 2019 Volvo XC60 with the same problem. will be taking in this coming Wednesday. Hope the dealer can do something for me this is very annoying and very noticeable. Trying to ignore it but shouldn't have to with this vehicle

mt6127 07-01-2020 12:47 PM

what you can do is ask the dealer to do a front to rear rotation to see if the noise changes and inspect the tires for cupping. How many miles on the tires? I've heard good things about the top end Conti all seasons (and bad things about Conti's low end tires which I threw out)

Electrik 07-01-2020 01:04 PM

Drumming sound 2019 Volvo XC60

I have 19,000 miles on the tires. They are pirelli scorpion zeros. Understand they put some sort of baffles in the new tires. Crazy that sound can resonate through tires, through the wheels and into the car. We'll see what they say but may I ask to rotate the tires like you suggested

mt6127 07-02-2020 08:05 AM

correct the Scorpion Zeros have Pirelli's noise cancelling system (google "Pirelli PNCS" ) which is a foam layer under the tread that's supposed to reduce road noise by 50%. You'd want to check out Tire Rack's testing data to see how buyers rate the effectiveness. The only draw back I've heard is that tires like the Pirelli's and Conti's that use this can often be difficult to patch after a puncture.