Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/)
-   -   keyless start and proximity unlock not working on spare key (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/keyless-start-proximity-unlock-not-working-spare-key-100101/)

pampadori 06-07-2019 02:31 PM

keyless start and proximity unlock not working on spare key

Got two keys with our used 2013 XC60. One works perfect but the other we have to use the remote buttons to unlock and must insert the fob into the key slot in order to start it.

Dealer says that we'd need a new $300 because once they are programmed to the car, that's all they can do. Does that sound right? To me, this key looked new like it was recently purchased so I'm shocked that its the one that doesn't work while the dirty one works as designed. Maybe the PO just never used that key because it didn't work right??

Is there a procedure to get the keyless start and proximity lock/unlock working again?

blindkarma 06-14-2019 07:41 AM

Did you replace the battery?

pampadori 06-14-2019 07:50 AM

In the key, no. The remote functions properly. We haven't replaced the vehicle battery either.

blindkarma 06-14-2019 04:57 PM

Replace the battery in the fob. As the battery loses voltage, the fob only works intermittently. Basic maintenance issue. It’s written in the owner’s manual. If dealer did not automatically suggest that, never go back to that dealer.

pampadori 06-14-2019 08:51 PM

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the key fob works 100% of the time to unlock/lock/open trunk. The feature that doesn't work ever with this key is the keyless proximity unlock and the feature where you can start the car without taking the key out of your pocket.
Would the battery work for the remote (100% of the time) but not for the key-in-pocket start?

blindkarma 06-15-2019 12:16 AM

Think about it. Sending signal by engaging contact switch or constant transmission of signal. I recommend Swiss-made Renata lithium batteries. It will cost you $3 to find out versus $300.

pampadori 06-15-2019 07:20 AM

Thank you for reinforcing your suggestion. I took the fob apart to find that the little flap that should go between the two batteries was actually under both so I assume one section of the key wasn't getting voltage as it should. I placed the flap between the two batteries and Viola, the key works now!
Thanks again for the help and I'm glad I didn't waste $300 on a new key. I plan to call the service advisor and just share the results with him. Seems like they should know the cars a little better than they do.

mgroth 06-25-2021 02:20 PM

2017 xc60 just had a new fob added (part KR55WK49264) buttons work but not proximity. I tried replacing battery but did not help. Mine is 5 button fob. It takes 1 battery not 2.

mgroth 06-27-2021 12:02 PM

Called Volvo service who programmed new key fob and they acted like they didnt know if key is suppose to have proximity feature. They said there are 2 different key fob and only one has this feature. Can anyone confirm that 5 button fob for 2017 xc60 (KR55WK49264) SHOULD have this feature and not just remote buttons and chip to allow car to start when inserted in key fob slot??

ssicarman 06-27-2021 03:48 PM

Not sure about the newer model years (I have a 2008 but could assume that it is the same) but when I got my car the cars with personal car communicator systems (assume this is what you mean by proximity) the keys were six button ones not five.

mgroth 06-27-2021 05:02 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...71e95381f.jpeg

Originally Posted by ssicarman (Post 499572)
Not sure about the newer model years (I have a 2008 but could assume that it is the same) but when I got my car the cars with personal car communicator systems (assume this is what you mean by proximity) the keys were six button ones not five.

Proximity is when you just have to get near car and it unlocks. You can leave fob in pocket when starting car. Key looks like this.

mgroth 06-28-2021 08:11 AM

I took apart the org key where proximity works and the new one where it doesn't and see they are not same. The one where it works has part number that ends with 66 and has 2 batteries, the new one has part number that ends with 64 and only one battery. so my conclusion is I probably bought the wrong key:(