Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Leaking front Windshield 2010 XC60

Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking front Windshield 2010 XC60

Anybody have an issue with a leaking front windshield. During the recent rains, I noticed water dripping down the inside of the windshield on the driver side of the car.

I'm taking the car to the dealer but was wondering if it is a common problem or not.

The following users liked this post:
dgiaquinto (02-28-2022)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Default leaking front window 2010 xc60

Having mine replaced by dealer as we speak, when the trim was removed, the glass was not adhered to body correctly.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by David Pulling
Having mine replaced by dealer as we speak, when the trim was removed, the glass was not adhered to body correctly.
Sounds similar. My dealer said it was a bad seal. It is now replaced so hopefully no more leaks.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM

hello,

excatly the same problem with my 2010 XC60 T6... windshield sealing problem. as I live in canada, I will have to wait until march for the next rains to check if the seal was efficient or not

strange these 65,000$ can have sealing problems, this can cause severe damage to the electric system and the dashboard.

rossy62 (10-24-2023)
Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2010 xc60. It was the seal and Volvo replaced the windshield at no cost.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Angry 2010 Volvo XC60.

I bought a Certified Pre Owned 2010 Volvo XC60 AWD and noticed that I have had water leaks every time it rains. The floor of the car would be wet and when driving the water would just fall down from under the driver side dash down on my feet ruining my shoes. Three times they couldn't find the leak until it rained and I brought it straight to service to prove my case. Then ey believed me. They said they could never find the leak and that they would leave a hose on top of the car for two straights days itch no water leaks. Today they brought it to a glass man and he said the molding from the glass was not sealed properly. I notice that everyone who happens to own this particular model has had issues with this problem. Volvo ill not cover the issue with my warranty or my extended warranty. Thank god I have full glass coverage from my insurance with no deductible. I am upset because if this is a factory issue why does my insurance have to pay for it. It's a factory default issue!!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Everyone with that car has had that issue huh? Doubt it, but the internet is full of outrageous claims like that.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just brought my 2010 XC60 in today. Same problem. They said that they had to get approval from Volvo before replacing it. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow with a new windscreen.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM

I had bought a 2010 CPO XC60 T6 in July of 2013. I just started noticing when it rains real hard I have water pouring down from the top of my windshield as well as staright down from behind the rear view mirror near the controls for the sunroof. It seems this is a wide spread problem. I have an appointment for Thursday and hopefully since this is a well documented manufacturer defect that Volvo will do the right thing and repair or replace at no cost. I do not want to hear about going through my insurance for something that is a Volvo issue not something caused by the owner.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Default Volvo Windshield Leaks

This problem is widespread among several models and years. This is occurring to vehicles that still have their original factory windshield.

To my knowledge, the dealerships are handling the problem and covering it under warranty.

The problem is present due to a primer on the glass that is failing. This black primer is applied in a thin layer to the windshield. The adhesive being used by Volvo, requires this primer promote a proper bond between the glass and the adhesive (polyurethane). However, this primer is separating from the glass.

There are several possibilities as to why this may occur.

1. UV ray deterioration
2. Primer defect
3. Contamination on the glass
4. Shelf life or working time of the primer
5. other unknown

As of yet, no answer has been provided to me by Volvo or the adhesive manufacturer.

The biggest concern Volvo owners should be aware of is not the potential of a water leak. The windshield is a structural component of the vehicle. If the windshield is not bonded to the vehicle properly it will compromise the safety of the occupants in the event of an accident.

The windshield supports the airbags upon deployment, crumple zone function during a collision, and the roof in the event of a rollover.

All Volvo owners should be aware of this concern prior to seeing any water. A professional can check your vehicle to see if the problem is visibly present by applying pressure to the inside of your windshield. If the glass moves away from the adhesive, you most likely have the same defect. Not visibly finding the problem doesn't mean that it won't occur later.

Volvo does not make the windshields for their vehicles. They supply the factory molds to outside companies that make the glass for them. This problem is the new glass that is being supplied, still has the same primer applied to it right out of the box.

I am not aware of nor have I been able to find out by Volvo the shelf life or "working time" of this primer. Most primers that are applied to a surface have to be used within a few hours. These windshields have the primer on them from the manufacturer which may have been on for weeks or even months.

My biggest concern is why wouldn't the same problem reoccur? Therefore, I consider this primer as a contamination present that should be removed prior to being installed.

For those of you who are unsure, it is possible to successfully remove the primer on the windshield and to follow the steps of the adhesive manufacture's procedure on reapplying new primers and adhesive. It is also possible to save and reuse the original windshield.

In many cases, the windshield may break upon removal and need replacement. I recommend that you ask your dealership or installation professional how they are handling the pre-existing primers.

My company has completed approximately 20 of these removals and replacements over the last few months and the numbers are growing.

I'm actually surprised that this is not a recall. They appear to be treating this on a case-by-case basis. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly. I will be glad to explain further and in detail.

703-929-4151
championautoglass.net

Electrical and interior damage may also occur. However, the safety issue is much more important.

As of 02/17/2014 I received new information from the Volvo dealer in our area. If the vehicle falls under the standard warranty of 4 years or 50,000 miles and develops a leak as mentioned in this post, it is covered by Volvo. Since there is no "recall" for this repair, there may not be any other eligible coverage if beyond the standard bumper to bumper warranty that Volvo offers. Some warranties do vary, so please check with your dealership in regards to the warranty that is present on your vehicle.

Last edited by The Champ; 03-24-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: New information
Glad2behere (05-11-2022)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM

I just found out that my front windshield is leaking as well. When I asked about the cause, I was told there was an issue with the adhesives used (something about the adhesive used for the City Safety equipment not working well with the adhesives for the windshield).

Considering this is the original windshield issued by Volvo, I'm upset that I'm having to pay out the $300 to have the windshield resealed.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Default Leaking windshield 2010 XC-60

I applied a 3M liquid glass adhesive to the seam above the windshield about a year ago to staunch a leak that appeared one day on my 2010 XC-60. It worked until it suddenly failed miserably.
I visited a Safelite Glass dealer who informed me that the primer on the glass applied before installation likely was inadequate and that's why the seal failed. He also advised that the windshield would probably pop off during a collision and that external fixes, such as the one I applied, inevitably fail.
The windshield needed to be removed, cleaned and re-installed or replaced with a new one. However, the removal process sometimes breaks the glass. He recommended I visit my Volvo dealer and call my insurance company, which I did.
Being beyond the warranty, of course, Volvo also directed me to contact my insurance company. My agent wasn't sure if this was considered to be a "broken" windshield but was ready to have an adjuster contact me which I refused. It is not a good idea to submit a claim until I know what my costs will be. Besides, if the repair shop broke the glass, I'd expect my insurance company would probably go after the repair shop's insurance.
Reading other posts on the Web, the consensus is that this is a manufacturing defect. The old adage rings true: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice." Accordingly, if my insurance doesn't cover this 100%, I'm going to neatly apply some more 3M adhesive and cover it with black window caulk and hope this resolves the problem before I sell this car next year. Volvo won't repair this defect which is very disappointing.
Ken S. Bedford, NY

Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 AM

On my 2010 XC60 there are these two strips of plastic that cover the edges of the glass. One of them is gone. I can't figure out what happened. Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking it's from when the glass was leaking and the dealer "fixed" it and I'm going back to them today and pray they cover it. Otherwise it's $200!

Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was your leak fixed? I just bought my 2010 xc60 Friday and yesterday noticed the leak. All over the passenger seat, floor, gear shifter, in the some lights, etc? Little sad here as the car is "new" to me. Seems like everyone has this problem and some say it can't be fixed. Was yours?

Originally Posted by davoidofall
I had bought a 2010 CPO XC60 T6 in July of 2013. I just started noticing when it rains real hard I have water pouring down from the top of my windshield as well as staright down from behind the rear view mirror near the controls for the sunroof. It seems this is a wide spread problem. I have an appointment for Thursday and hopefully since this is a well documented manufacturer defect that Volvo will do the right thing and repair or replace at no cost. I do not want to hear about going through my insurance for something that is a Volvo issue not something caused by the owner.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Default XC60 leaks

This is a Volvo problem in my mind and anyone having to pay for the fix should be getting in touch with Volvo North America to complain LOUDLY. My windshield leaked and was fixed while still under the warranty (thankfully) but my sunroof leaks and that's supposed to be a clogged drain issue. Northpoint Volvo in Atlanta wants $500 to clean them out because, they say, they have to remove the roof and rails to do the work. I used my brother's compressor to blow out the rails and it seems to have done the trick. It's bullsh!t to own a car at this price level and have to worry about leaks whenever it rains.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:51 PM

I have a 2011 xc60 and the windshield was leaking really bad. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:23 PM

I have a cx60 2012 . There's a LEAK in the front center ceiling . Leaking all around the lighting . As I'm driving my right shoulder and right hand getting wet . I did notice a very suttle drop before and told Ramsey volvo about it during my last maintenance service but they thought it was just condensation . But now this leak is so obviously something is WRONG !!!im worried This will cause electrical , light problem no one is answering Ramsey Ramsey Volvi auto dealer today it's Sunday . I took photos to show them left a message . Have anyone have this problem?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:15 AM
Default New posts response

[QUOTE=Smoreeng;338303]Anybody have an issue with a leaking front windshield. During the recent rains, I noticed water dripping down the inside of the windshield on the driver side of the car.

I'm taking the car to the dealer but was wondering if it is a common problem or not.

Good morning,

Your problem is currently nationwide with Volvo and will likely require the windshield to be replaced or at least removed and reinstalled.

Do not accept a "reseal" of the windshield. It is a structural integrity issues and requires that the job be redone.

Volvo does have a history of sunroof drain tubes being clogged or leaking. They should eliminate this possibility at the same time.

You may call or write for more information.

I have made a more detailed post about this here in the forum. Please read that as well to have all the information you can.

Good luck

Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM
Default update on my leak front Windshield 2012 CX60

Brought my car in dealer. I passed the warranty by some mileage so I was afraid they were not going to cover it but after discussing with them the complaints of this issue, showed photos, Volvo Ramsey , fixed my car. They removed the entire windshield, replaced and resealed as suggested above. They gave me a "good will" warranty so I didn't have to pay. I hope this does not occur. For now I'm satisfied that this was resolved and hope same situation doesn't happen to others.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Default Australian XC60 drivers - leaking windscreen issues

I have this issue with my late 2010 XC60, and am wondering if any Australian drivers have had the same issue and if so, have had success getting Volvo to redoing the seal and if necessary replace the windscreen?

QUOTE=The Champ;378057]This problem is widespread among several models and years. This is occurring to vehicles that still have their original factory windshield.

To my knowledge, the dealerships are handling the problem and covering it under warranty.

The problem is present due to a primer on the glass that is failing. This black primer is applied in a thin layer to the windshield. The adhesive being used by Volvo, requires this primer promote a proper bond between the glass and the adhesive (polyurethane). However, this primer is separating from the glass.

There are several possibilities as to why this may occur.

1. UV ray deterioration
2. Primer defect
3. Contamination on the glass
4. Shelf life or working time of the primer
5. other unknown

As of yet, no answer has been provided to me by Volvo or the adhesive manufacturer.

The biggest concern Volvo owners should be aware of is not the potential of a water leak. The windshield is a structural component of the vehicle. If the windshield is not bonded to the vehicle properly it will compromise the safety of the occupants in the event of an accident.

The windshield supports the airbags upon deployment, crumple zone function during a collision, and the roof in the event of a rollover.

All Volvo owners should be aware of this concern prior to seeing any water. A professional can check your vehicle to see if the problem is visibly present by applying pressure to the inside of your windshield. If the glass moves away from the adhesive, you most likely have the same defect. Not visibly finding the problem doesn't mean that it won't occur later.

Volvo does not make the windshields for their vehicles. They supply the factory molds to outside companies that make the glass for them. This problem is the new glass that is being supplied, still has the same primer applied to it right out of the box.

I am not aware of nor have I been able to find out by Volvo the shelf life or "working time" of this primer. Most primers that are applied to a surface have to be used within a few hours. These windshields have the primer on them from the manufacturer which may have been on for weeks or even months.

My biggest concern is why wouldn't the same problem reoccur? Therefore, I consider this primer as a contamination present that should be removed prior to being installed.

For those of you who are unsure, it is possible to successfully remove the primer on the windshield and to follow the steps of the adhesive manufacture's procedure on reapplying new primers and adhesive. It is also possible to save and reuse the original windshield.

In many cases, the windshield may break upon removal and need replacement. I recommend that you ask your dealership or installation professional how they are handling the pre-existing primers.

My company has completed approximately 20 of these removals and replacements over the last few months and the numbers are growing.

I'm actually surprised that this is not a recall. They appear to be treating this on a case-by-case basis. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly. I will be glad to explain further and in detail.

703-929-4151
championautoglass.net

Electrical and interior damage may also occur. However, the safety issue is much more important.

As of 02/17/2014 I received new information from the Volvo dealer in our area. If the vehicle falls under the standard warranty of 4 years or 50,000 miles and develops a leak as mentioned in this post, it is covered by Volvo. Since there is no "recall" for this repair, there may not be any other eligible coverage if beyond the standard bumper to bumper warranty that Volvo offers. Some warranties do vary, so please check with your dealership in regards to the warranty that is present on your vehicle.[/QUOTE]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking front Windshield 2010 XC60