Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2017 XC60 T6 Transmission Issue - Lemon Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 XC60 T6 Transmission Issue - Lemon Car?

Hi everyone,

Recently joined and read through the forums in an attempt to find a solution to my transmission problems I feel I have with my 2017 XC60 T6 AWD 8-speed auto! I have tried to find a similar issue being reported here, but no luck so far.....hoping that you can help!

I recently relocated to NJ from the UK a little over 12 months ago and leased a brand new XC60 in January last year. Being half Swedish, I wanted a familiar EU car and what I thought would be a reliable one given that it was near the very end of its production run before the all new model, so you'd think all the issues and gremlins would've been ironed out. So far the car has done just over 9,000 miles and I've had two main issues with it. The first is the radio only working about 50% of the time, but it appears to have been fixed at the third time of asking through a software update. I'm not holding out for much further luck on this! ;-)

The second (which i think is more concerning) is the shifting in "Drive" mode between 2nd and 3rd gears not being smooth at all, but doesn't happen between any other gears, and at normal operating temperature. It feels like the transmission is slipping between the two gears when changing, or put in another way, if you were driving a stick shift and rode the clutch a little bit between gear changes, the revs rise briefly and then it's not a smooth gear change. Has anyone else noticed or experienced this on the 8-speed auto transmission? The service manager at my local dealer informs me this is a "characteristic" of the car!! Now I nearly laughed out loud when I was told this, but I restrained myself!! I didn't notice this at all on the test drive (albeit on a different XC60) before I bought the car. My wife has a John Cooper Works tuned 2017 Mini Cooper S which shifts beautifully.

Because these two faults have not been fixed in my view after two attempts, I have written a final letter to Volvo Cars USA to give them one final chance to fix before enacting the NJ Lemon Law right I have. The radio as described above is now working, but the transmission issue is still very much there.

Interested to know if any other 2016 or 2017 XC60 T5 or T6 8-speed auto owners experience the same issue when shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear not being smooth?

Many thanks!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM

In the 2018 owners manual it indicates when cold the transmission may not shift as smoothly. I experience this (2->3 gear change) on my 2018 T6 and after driving for another minute or two it is gone. I also have had VWs (all three Touaregs I've had, 2 TDIs and a gasser did this except it was really noticeable in the gasser) and Audi that did the same thing. They all use 8-speed transmissions from ASIN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions). Volvo is the first car I have had that actually states in the manual that shifting may be a bit rough when cold/under operating temps.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:37 PM

Interesting and thanks for the reply. I don’t count the cold start/operating temp as an issue because it should be judged under normal operating temperature.

Weirdly in my situation, the problem is accentuated more once it is up to normal operating temperature. The shifting is not smooth.