Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

R Design Suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R Design Suspension.

Merry Christmas!
First post on here, as I will be ordering the new XC-60 R-Design next week.. I am on the fence for the air suspension vs the standard sport suspension.
Does anyone know how much lower the R is vs the standard ride hight? I know they say its a tighter ride which usually means lower.
Or should i just opt for the Air?

Looking forward to the input.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:04 PM

If you happen to get the 22-inch wheels the air suspension will smooth out the brutality of going over expansion joints. As far as I recall all the XC60s have the same ride height with the exception of the different modes of the air ride option.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Nice..I will more than likely go with the Air, if they are the same ride height. I like both wheel options, not sure which ill go with yet.
How do you like the Polstar option?

Old 12-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Polstar adds some nice kick, although the T6 was pretty quick for its size to start out with anyway. I definitely can tell the difference (though I only drove for 2 weeks without Polstar). It works really well with improving the mid-range response and shifting https://engineered.polestar.com/us/p...automatic-2018

You might want to verify tire availability for the wheels you decide. I got the 21s and there are only 8 tires listed (7 summer, 1 winter, no all season) in production that match the size. Since the XC60 is not in any of the usual tire store databases yet they were not able to figure out if any plus sizes would work with any certainty of confidence. The winter tires were rather expensive and hard to come by.

Also, it is not clear whether or not the R-Design package comes with the 21-inch wheels. The "Build your Own" tool on the Volvo website has the standard wheel as a 19-inch for the R-Design and the 21 inch is an option. However, when I got my XC60, the invoice indicates the 21s are specific to the R-Design (but did cost extra as an upgraded option) and the dealer indicated the only way to order an R-Design is with the 21 wheels unless special ordered.

I was lucky in when I was looking at the Volvos the one I ended up getting was a customer order form 6-8 weeks earlier and the customer had just canceled the order when it was delivered. The sales rep and sales manager were the only two that knew it was available.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:56 AM

Great info, thanks for that link. I will definitely be ordering the Polstar as I a lot of highway miles.

I drove it the T6 last week and was very impressed with it. The fit and finish is equal to or above the top tier BMW and Audi. I was thinking about going with the 21s on the order page. Its a decent price for the rim and tires, as the 4000 for 22s is a little pricey and i don't love the wheel in person. What size tires are the 21s anyways? I may just get a winter set of wheels and tires.

Speaking with the dealer last week, they are 5-6 months out for ordering at this point.. Maybe longer after the holidays. Would love to do the overseas delivery. Was you got lucky with the timing.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:21 PM

Tires that came on the 21s were 255/40 R21. Not sure where you are located but this was for U.S. delivery. They might use different tires elsewhere. The dealer service center will do the Polstar update too.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:28 AM

Nice wide tires..
I’m located in NJ. Going to order the car with the 21s. Tire rack has some great winter wheel and tire pacakages for a reasonable price. My dealer told me it’s better to do the polestar from factory so You don’t pay the technician fee. Can’t wait to order her! The wife wants the new XC40. I think we may do the European delivery for that next year.

How are you liking the new ride anyways? Is the Bowers N Wilkins as impressive as it sounds on paper?

Old 12-26-2017, 05:54 PM

The Bowers & Wilkins is superb! I have about a 1-hour commute to and from work and between the stereo and Pilot Assist the ride is almost relaxing (almost too relaxing as I've already accidentally tested the collision avoidance, and it works!). And I can take photos of the scenery a lot more easily!