Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/)
-   -   Radiator Anti-Tamper Device (RTD) (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/radiator-anti-tamper-device-rtd-97754/)

jzmm 09-16-2018 08:40 PM

I'm thinking of using JB Weld....$5.68 at our local hardware store.....any opinions

J-B Weld is a remarkably easy, convent, and inexpensive alternative to welding, soldering, and brazing. J-B Weld will bond to any clean, dry surface. J-B Weld is the strongest cold weld epoxy on the market.
  • 2 Oz
  • Withstands 600 Temperatures
  • Compressive Strength 10,733 PSI
  • Bonds To Any Surface
  • Sets In 45 Minutes
  • Cures In 24 Hours
  • Tensile Strength 3,960 PSI
  • Will Adhere To Metal, Wood, Plastic, Tile, PVC, Fiberglass, Concrete And More
  • Dark Gray Cure Color

jzmm 09-19-2018 04:21 PM

The Radiator Anti-Tamper Device installation is completed. So far 100 miles driven and no DTC's logged and/or Charging Service Urgent messages displayed. I will wait for a month to go by before I will call it a done deal.....

Lntravler 07-11-2019 02:53 PM

Thank you for your input. I have the same issue. I checked battery alternator And starter. No issue with any. Dealer could not find any issue since it can not repeat the error message. Instead they suggest to change battery. I don’t think it make sense since it is working fine. I suggest everyone file a complaint at carcomplaints.com. With enough complaints, volvo will have to recall it

Originally Posted by jzmm (Post 465588)
I received the Volvo RTD part so I am ready to install this baby. I re-read the Tech Bulletin paying close attention to the installation procedure. First thoughts was really do I need to disconnect the power steering hose from the pump as per the instructions. I didn't want to open that can of worms so I basically winged on my own using the Tech bulletin as a guide.
I disconnected the battery connections, unscrewed the top cover of the breather box with the MAF sensor and tucked that unit to the side. I then removed the hard plastic tube from the breather box to the ETM. I disconnected the electrical connections to the RTD and the fan motors.
I proceeded to try to remove the fan shroud assembly. I needed more clearance so I disconnected the mounting support brackets ( 2 places) that supported the power steering hose. This gave some front to back clearance. After numerous attempts it became apparent to me that I wound need to remove a radiator hose to get the side clearance I would need. I really didn't want to drain the fluid in order to remove the fan shroud.
I decided just to prop back the fan shroud to provide just enough room to work on the old RTD, In the Tech bulletin they indicated to use a pipe wrench to remove the old part. Really a pipe wrench. After reviewing the clip locking direction on the replacement part it was my conclusion that the only way to remove the old part was to cut the clips. I used a square bladed xacto blade with handle and basically used a small hammer to tap cut through the clips. This worked well. Now it appeared the part was loose but the thermal probe was glued into the radiator housing orifice. So basically I twisted the RTD body off which left the thermal probe glued within the radiator. There is no way this RTD is re-useable as a few radiator suppliers told me if I were to just replace the radiator.
I improvised a short drill pin vise to drill out the thermal probe. I carefully drilled out the probe and cleaned the excess glue around the seating area. Now I am ready to install the New RTD. Oops I forgot, I need to buy the special heat resistant glue ( the video indicated $40.00) . The glue is almost as much at the part.
Hey does anyone know of a good low cost heat resistant adhesive? I will finish the installation once I get the adhesive. Volvo should really supply the mounting adhesive with the part. Better yet Volvo should drop the tamper sensor altogether but keep the Eco-Radiator. The failure of this part causes more problems than it's worth....In my case it causes a alternator charging error in addition to the annoying DTC. This is really an error in the design!!!!

ES6T 07-13-2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lntravler (Post 475361)
Thank you for your input. I have the same issue. I checked battery alternator And starter. No issue with any. Dealer could not find any issue since it can not repeat the error message. Instead they suggest to change battery. I don’t think it make sense since it is working fine. I suggest everyone file a complaint at carcomplaints.com. With enough complaints, volvo will have to recall it

No, that's not how recalls work.

Reyes Suastegui Flores 01-12-2020 11:46 PM

Hi, so i just replaced my alternator because i was getting intermittent charging failure messages until the car gave out. And the same code you had poped up ( raditor anti tamper device sensor) after replacement. Was your issue fixed ?

RPif 06-10-2023 12:03 PM

Radiator Anti-Tamper Device RTD

So I own a used 2012 XC60 3.2L AWD and this has been causing CHARGE FAILURE dash alarm to come on during warmer weather with no alternator issues.

1) This RTD is an anti pollution monitoring device supposedly monitoring a coating on the radiator to convert ozone back to oxygen. (Thank You CA)
2) When it starts to go bad my cause INVALID charging trouble indications.
3) Dealer will probably say you need to replace the radiator to fix the issue even if the radiator is fine.
4) Can you safely unplug the RTD and drive the vehicle. YES! It only monitors temperature and DOES NOT operate anything ---- if you were getting intermittent CHARGE FAIL indications these immediately will go away when you unplug the RTD. You will get a check engine light for LOSS OF COMMUNICATION with the RTD with a code after about three driving cycles. (Sorry, I do not remember the code)
5) Only benefit of replacing it is to get ride of the check engine light. If you can find a stand alone replacement RTD there is no need to attach it to the radiator, just plug it in and tie it out of the way. Clear the code. Remember it only monitors Temperature so does not care of placement.

Hope this lessens others frustration on this issue.

Originally Posted by jzmm (Post 465461)
The dealers didn't want to provide to much info over the phone....basically said to bring the car in so they can run a diagnostic scan ( of course at a cost). I am not employed at the moment so I am trying to fix this issue on my own. However, I was able to download a Tech Service Bulletin (TJ27910) while researching the web... for the most part it describes my problem but it doesn't address the intermittent MIL Charging system ...service urgent message or something along those lines. I called a few independents and one stated that a bad RTD can cause an intermittent charging problem. Long story short I bought a replacement Volvo RTD ( p/n 31321504 $52 including shipping) and should receive it in few days. I plan to install it and hopefully it will correct the DTC and the charging message/ problem. I am new to the forum and I am not familiar as to how to attach the Tech Serv Bulletin (.pdf) otherwise I would.

RPif 06-10-2023 12:07 PM

I wouldn't bother with attaching it to the radiator it is just an RTD (temperature monitoring - nothing else).
Just plug it in and tie off out of the way, clear the code for the check engine light.

Lntravler 06-10-2023 01:17 PM

Now I believe U0286 code pops up might not because the sensor failed. I noticed it fails often when humidity is high. So I cleaned up the sensor area with Alcohol. Seems it can clear the code or at least the code will not show up for a while. I suspect the sensor catches some dirt. The dirt absorbs moisture. Then it fails. It is not easy to reach the sensor. I used a soft and small fuel line. Drop alcohol to the sensor area, then use air compressor to blow that area