Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Sad…2021 already in shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad…2021 already in shop

2000 miles on new 2021 XC60 and it sputtered and stopped when I tried to start it after it sat for a few hours in a parking lot. Got a turtle shaped warning icon on instrument screen. Took it to the dealership and they “opened a case “ with Volvo. Volvo gave them the go ahead to replace the fuel pump. Service told me it is the second 2021 XC60 they have done.
After 15 good years with my XC90, I am sad. I would never have bought this one had I known they ere experiencing this major problem out of the gate!

Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

**** happens. That's what warranty is for.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:04 PM

True.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Like ES6T said, stuff sometimes just happens. I spent 20 years in the business and have personally owned north of 200 cars (new and used combined) life time. Volvo builds a great car (meaning most of the drive train and body), however many of the parts from 'fuel pumps', window glass, and electronics come from vendors all over the world. My guess is a part such as a fuel pump for the car comes from many different locations built to Volvo's specs for a particular model and to keep the assembly line moving, the inventory of that one part could be from many different places. For instance, my own car has tires made by Continental and so far they seem great and have good traction and tread wear ratings. However on the showroom I saw my same model with Michelin's and some other brand, I forgot which but I remember three. The plant with big VOLVO letters outside assembles everything together but almost all the parts (even Volvo's) came from somewhere else.

So..... If you like your car then don't let this get you down. If it was your turn to have a faulty fuel pump, know it could have happened on your last Volvo instead of the here and now on your current one. My 1st Volvo was a used wagon a customer traded in back in the mid '70's and I put a couple hundred more into the car than the used car manager to buy it for myself. Was great even w/over 100k on the ODO with one costly exception. The differential completely bought the farm about two weeks into my ownership. I found one in a junk yard and had it repaired and my wife drove it for nearly a year and loved it.

The following users liked this post:
Volvomld (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Like ES6T said, stuff sometimes just happens. I spent 20 years in the business and have personally owned north of 200 cars (new and used combined) life time. Volvo builds a great car (meaning most of the drive train and body), however many of the parts from 'fuel pumps', window glass, and electronics come from vendors all over the world. My guess is a part such as a fuel pump for the car comes from many different locations built to Volvo's specs for a particular model and to keep the assembly line moving, the inventory of that one part could be from many different places. For instance, my own car has tires made by Continental and so far they seem great and have good traction and tread wear ratings. However on the showroom I saw my same model with Michelin's and some other brand, I forgot which but I remember three. The plant with big VOLVO letters outside assembles everything together but almost all the parts (even Volvo's) came from somewhere else.

So..... If you like your car then don't let this get you down. If it was your turn to have a faulty fuel pump, know it could have happened on your last Volvo instead of the here and now on your current one. My 1st Volvo was a used wagon a customer traded in back in the mid '70's and I put a couple hundred more into the car than the used car manager to buy it for myself. Was great even w/over 100k on the ODO with one costly exception. The differential completely bought the farm about two weeks into my ownership. I found one in a junk yard and had it repaired and my wife drove it for nearly a year and loved it.
Thanks for your reply and encouraging words!

Old 08-15-2021, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

for manufactured devices, there's an expected failure rate which declines over time in a log curve (sorry for the engineering speak) - for example the first 100 failures happen in the first 100 days, then next 100 failures happen in the next 1000 days and the next 100 in 10,000 days. So you'd be most likely to have an issue early on with the car (ie when the warranty is in effect), then you'd go longer and longer between failures until finally wear and maintenance become factors. That's why factory warranties meet the needs of 99%+ of the customers and extended warranties are really insurance policies based on actuary tables for average repair costs for that model.