Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Volvo XC60 T8 very cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Volvo XC60 T8 very cold weather

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and just bought a brand new Volvo XC60 T8 2019 Inscription. I'm pretty happy about it in general, but I'm having mixed feelings about the efficiency of the battery autonomy.

It says I should be able to do 40km, now I understand that winter has an effect on that, my previous car was a Chevy Bolt, and I had 66% efficiency in the winter so I would expect something similar with the Volvo, but I'm getting way worse than that.

This morning it was about -20 celcius this morning, I did run parking climate at least 30 minutes before leaving plugged in. The car was warm when I left and the battery was full. It took about !!8km!! driving very slowly and accelerating very gradually, staying in the electric zone before my battery was close to empty. I work 12km away from my home, I thought that I'd be able to do most of the way, AND back to my house, but apparently I'm going to be going back home on gaz alone in the city when its cold.

Is there something I'm not getting? Is there some setting I need to change, or something I need to do, to get the expected autonomy?

Thank you all !

Old 01-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Canadian here, but now reside in the USA. I too have a 2019 T8 Inscription. On full battery in the summer, and taking it easy, I obtain around 25 miles (40 km). Now that it is cooler.....-6c this morning...closer to 20 miles (32 km) Thats running in PURE mode, and only the heated steering wheel on. I had my cruise set at 60mph. I don't have the additional heater on (there is a box one can check in the settings for that) I'm assuming u have 240 service @ home, as you need that to maintain a full charge when utilizing the parking climate.....it will work on 120, but eats up the battery. it doesnt normally get past -10c here in Maryland. You may get more answers over at https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumd...C60-(SPA-2018-)

Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I might be using too many heaters then, when its -22 outside you can't really afford to have no heating at all except the steering wheel

I will check the setting for additional heaters though, perhaps I could do with LESS heaters. I have not found it yet. I do have a 240 charge, and my battery starts full and the car is warm when I leave, so that part works as expected.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Ferron
I guess I might be using too many heaters then, when its -22 outside you can't really afford to have no heating at all except the steering wheel

I will check the setting for additional heaters though, perhaps I could do with LESS heaters. I have not found it yet. I do have a 240 charge, and my battery starts full and the car is warm when I leave, so that part works as expected.
At -6c it is cool in the car when in PURE mode,lol 1 thing I have found odd in mine.....When I first bought it last Feb 2019 the full charge on the display was 18 miles, and when I selected PURE, it would goto 20. Last few months it states 16 when full, and jumps to 18 when I select pure.

Will have to go look to see where I have the box checked in Settings regarding the heating....it all centered on to maximize the battery.

It was like -40 c this pas t week in my home town of Prince Albert....wonder what the battery range would be then,lol