Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/)
-   -   XC60 Pre-Buy Advice (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/xc60-pre-buy-advice-98592/)

Paulsb01 12-12-2018 01:02 PM

XC60 Pre-Buy Advice

Hi All. I'm a long time Audi driver now about to take the plunge to the Sweedese side. the XC60 Inscription is where I'm heading. It will be a T5.
My question is regarding the long term ownership and theoretical cost. Are there any long time, high mile owners around? I tend to keep my ride past 175,000 miles.
Any advise, would be greatly appreciated.

mt6127 12-12-2018 08:38 PM

I just "retired" our 1995 850T wagon - owned since new, got 250K miles out of it. Sold it for $300 as it needed some work. Our S40 is a 2000 but "only" has 120K miles - no issues other than its due a tune up (time to replace the original coil packs and give it fresh plugs and wires). 175K is really not that high of mileage - there's plenty of posters with cars in the 200+ and 300+ range. the key is these cars are all properly maintained. You didn't mention whether you were going new or pre-owned. Cars depreciate the most in the first year and resale values drop over 100K miles so when you hear people complain about repair costs its probably that they got stung by a big ticket / rare event (I have a buddy who will never own another BMW after his transmission computer locked up in his garage and they had to dolly the car to a flat bed only to find the dealer couldn't diagnose the problem as nobody had ever seen that issue before... $5000 later it was fixed...) So when you ask about thoeretical costs - Volvo maintenance is probably less than a BMW and more than a Toyota. If you buy certified pre-owned with (is less than 25K miles) you can save like 10-20% off the sticker and keep a long term warranty or even opt for an extended warranty for the difference in price. If you follow factory or factory plus maintenance then there's no reason not to expect 200K miles

Paulsb01 12-13-2018 07:10 AM

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the follow up. I'm buying new and thanks to my Geico MBI plan, I'm covered for any breakdown or repair thru 100K miles.The Volvos back in the day: DL, 240, etc. were known for being tough as nails, long lasting and relatively low on cost to own. Its the new current Volvos that are somewhat unknown. I drive Long Island to Manhattan daily. Me, my wife and 2 dogs. I put on about 30K miles a year. With this mileage, my 2011 Audi s4 (177K on it) had all control arms replaced (140K), the main drive pulley (120k), all 4 shocks replaced (120K) plus normal brakes, tune ups, belts, etc. So I was wondering how the XC60 might fare past 100K.

Going Toyota/Lexus was a thought, but the crossovers, have no soul, no spirit, style, etc. (Every Uber is a Highlander!) The Acura MDX, is okay but lacks the feel of an upmarket car. BMW X3 is in the budget, but I already know their +100k cost can be a lot. I've had my fill of Audi, since 2001. (still miss my allroad) Volvo has always been a second choice over the years and I'm close. I've arranged with the selling dealer to get an XC60 from their loaner fleet for a day. To use it in real life. I'll report back next week.

flames9 12-13-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paulsb01 (Post 468425)
Thank you Mike. I appreciate the follow up. I'm buying new and thanks to my Geico MBI plan, I'm covered for any breakdown or repair thru 100K miles.The Volvos back in the day: DL, 240, etc. were known for being tough as nails, long lasting and relatively low on cost to own. Its the new current Volvos that are somewhat unknown. I drive Long Island to Manhattan daily. Me, my wife and 2 dogs. I put on about 30K miles a year. With this mileage, my 2011 Audi s4 (177K on it) had all control arms replaced (140K), the main drive pulley (120k), all 4 shocks replaced (120K) plus normal brakes, tune ups, belts, etc. So I was wondering how the XC60 might fare past 100K.

Going Toyota/Lexus was a thought, but the crossovers, have no soul, no spirit, style, etc. (Every Uber is a Highlander!) The Acura MDX, is okay but lacks the feel of an upmarket car. BMW X3 is in the budget, but I already know their +100k cost can be a lot. I've had my fill of Audi, since 2001. (still miss my allroad) Volvo has always been a second choice over the years and I'm close. I've arranged with the selling dealer to get an XC60 from their loaner fleet for a day. To use it in real life. I'll report back next week.

I have a 2019 XC60 Inscription T6 on the way......should be here in early Jan......have u looked at the new 2019 Acura RDX? I really liked it,but the wife wasnt a fan. Mazda has the brand new 2019 CX5 Signature model out..has a lot to offer for around $40 usd. I plan to keep this vehicle for quite as well....paln to go with a 10 yr volvo warranty..Steingold Volvo (USA) seems to have the best price

mt6127 12-15-2018 03:57 PM

The XCs have a more compliant suspension than your S4 and with its taller tires, the Volvo should result in less wear and tear on the suspension (I don't think the LIE is getting any better about loostening fillings). I'd probably avoid the option with the low profile tires as my guess is you are not driving a lot of twisties. Extended warranties are effectively insurance beyond what the factory warranty covers - which rewards you if there's a big ticket repair in the first 100K.

Paulsb01 12-24-2018 07:50 AM

My dealer gave me an xc60 T6 Inscription for 24 hours. I had a real world test drive as I use a car. We did our morning run into Manhattan (dogs too), parked in our lot, then back home. Loved the ride, the secure feeling, comfort, etc. I was able to get an X3 also for a 24 hour drive. So I had real world back to back comparison feel for them. Tested the Q5 too (10 minute) it felt very familiar, like home, and convinced me that while its a great ride, I've had enough of Audi since 2001.

In the end, we chose.....wait for it....
XC60, T6 Inscription.
The overall materials, seats, comfort, etc are better than the X3 and Q5.

The desired color combo is Denim Blue with Charcoal, followed by Osmium grey with Charcoal, and then Denim Blue with Amber.
My dealer worked out the number that I wanted.. deliver could be this week. I hope to join in on this forum and learn and take part. (I was a post whore on Quattroworld known as paulroad, then paulroad.S4)

flames9 12-24-2018 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Paulsb01 (Post 468785)
My dealer gave me an xc60 T6 Inscription for 24 hours. I had a real world test drive as I use a car. We did our morning run into Manhattan (dogs too), parked in our lot, then back home. Loved the ride, the secure feeling, comfort, etc. I was able to get an X3 also for a 24 hour drive. So I had real world back to back comparison feel for them. Tested the Q5 too (10 minute) it felt very familiar, like home, and convinced me that while its a great ride, I've had enough of Audi since 2001.

In the end, we chose.....wait for it....
XC60, T6 Inscription.
The overall materials, seats, comfort, etc are better than the X3 and Q5.

The desired color combo is Denim Blue with Charcoal, followed by Osmium grey with Charcoal, and then Denim Blue with Amber.
My dealer worked out the number that I wanted.. deliver could be this week. I hope to join in on this forum and learn and take part. (I was a post whore on Quattroworld known as paulroad, then paulroad.S4)

Congrats!!! I have a Denim Blue with the Charcoal leather Nappa seats coming in any day now right off the boat. Was suppose to be at the dealer on Dec 22.....but now pushed back to next week. Almost wish I went with the metallic white. test drove similar vehicles and for me,the XC60 T6 was the clear winner. Adding on Polestar as welll,and the extended warranty via Steiongold..unless my dealer can beat their price.Congrats

herothedog 12-31-2018 10:37 AM

I've had Audis that recently includes a 2016 S4, also Q3 and a couple VW Touareg TDIs... The XC60 was my first Volvo. It has been ~13 months/13k miles and so far so good. I managed to walk into the dealer right when they got their first shipment of the 2018s.
It may be hard to find a high mileage new car to know if there may be issues or not. The motors are fairly new, even for the T5. A random list of things:
1. blown speaker when purchased that I didn't catch until the day after I picked it up
2. Rear brakes squeal. Service replaced the rotors and pads with newer versions, and Volvo is aware of the issue. I think it is brake dust related because after a power wash the squeal goes away for short bit. I think my frequent use of the adaptive cruise compounds the issue because it feels it uses the rear brakes to slow on descents, my Touareg had this problem with the rear brakes and it also had adaptive cruise.
3. not a huge issue but I think a rock has bounced into some area near the passenger side body or undercarriage, I sometimes hear it, but can't find it.
4. tires!!!! Check current tire availability for the wheels you are getting. When I got mine with the 20-inch wheels, there were only 5 tires available, summer tires except one winter tire was $400 a tire. I had to put these on the day after delivery because it snowed right away (and it was too cold for the summer tires).
5. Unbelievably good highway mileage. ~1200 mile road trip down the middle of the Colorado Rockies in the spring with a large Thule roof box we got 28MPG!
6. When cold (ie. not driven for 10-12 hours, and somewhat weather related), the transmission shifts hard between 2 and 3rd. This is a hallmark of the ASIN 8 speed transmission (my Touareg also did this, same type of transmission, maybe even the same model). This happens only first thing in the morning as I leave home, does it once then that's it.

I leased mine because previously having an S4, I knew I might abuse the CX60 (T6 Polstar) and am a bit uncertain on the long term reliability of the motor. I'd say the transmission feels much much faster and smoother than the DSG I had in the S4 though.