Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   2000 XC70 AWD 71,000 Miles (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/2000-xc70-awd-71-000-miles-21208/)

mattdp79 07-01-2008 01:45 PM

2000 XC70 AWD 71,000 Miles

First of all thanks to anyone whom takes the time to help me out with the following problems, due to circumstances I cannot afford to pay $200.00 to takes to a dealership to look at. Paid 5700.00 for the car 3 months ago and drove back from 3 states away it has had nothing but problems, I bought this car so my wife and 2 sons would have a reliable car (Always read Volvo were great) to drive. Owned the car for about 107 days and they have been able to drive it for 2 weeks.

1st- When starting the car the key will turn in the ignition with out actaully turning over. Half the time it will start, the other half if will just turn like the tumbler is bad. Also in order to remove the key I must turn the car off and then put the car in neutral, even then the key comes out hard.

2nd- When driving the car the brake pedal will be right up at the top where it needs to be, then with no apparent cause when I go to push the pedal it goes to the floor with no stop to it, however if i pump the pedel it comes back up to the top. (I know there is no air in the line , bleed it out already- had no brake work done this just started happening)

3rd- When your driving a "sound" will start up (the sound is more like what it feels like when your tire goes flat only not a pronounced). This feeling stays when you turn, accelarate, break, pretty much anything. The faster you go the faster the thump is. If you stop for 5-10 minutes and let it set the thumps stops, start driving and it comes back after awhile.

4th- There is a button on the center panel where there gear shifter is, According to the manaul this is for bad \ wet weather conditions. When you push the button an arrow appears on the bottom right of the dash board. Once engaged you press the gas pedal and the rpms jump up but the car hardly moves.

Once again any input would be greatly appreciated. I have limited auto knowlege- I have done brake jobs, alternator and starter replacements, oil and tranny flush, that is about it. No work done on Volvo so far.

Regards,

Matt Palazzolo

Eric J 07-01-2008 02:49 PM

RE: 2000 XC70 AWD 71,000 Miles

Welcome to the forumMattdp79.

1.The immobilizer is acting up. Try another key. If that doesn't work, turn the key off and on when it happens (just to the on position) 4 or 5 times, it's a pain but it beats the cost of a new ignition.

2. Is the abs or break light on? Sounds likethe abs has to be bled (you can try locking it up a few times on a dirt road, it will activate the abs valve) or themaster cylinder is acting up.

3. Is the sound underneath, out back? If it is, the drive shaft to the rear wheels is on it's way. You can take it out, and run it in 2 wheel drive.

4. Only use this in the snow, it's preventing over acceleration.

mattdp79 07-01-2008 03:14 PM

Thanks a ton Eric-

1- Only have (1) Key, but will try the turn to on\off position 4-5 times.

2- No ABS Light on- Will try to lock em up on the dirt road tho.

3- Sounds like the noise \ feeling is coming from the front end. - However does anyone have a link to show me how to remove rear drive shaft? If So i will take out and see if noise \ feeling persist. Love problem solving.
If it is the drive shaft - will it do damage to other parts if the drive shaft goes while on the road? (I have no knowledge whatsoever of drivetrain stuff)

4- Thanks. Knowing is half the battle.

JRL 07-02-2008 07:27 PM

You need a key "ring", dealer only

Sounds like the booster is bad, any "hissing"
Common on 2001

Sonnds like a bad driveshaft (or bevel gear but more like a driveshaft)
If you remove it and the vibrations go away, that's the issue

You paid very little but you failed to post the miles. These cars canhave major issues over 100-120K miles.
2001s are bad cars in general, a 1st year model, the bugs were not out for a couple of more years (03).
Most of what you say is not uncommon for any older XC (except the brake boosterwhich was an 01 issue)

mattdp79 07-07-2008 01:47 PM

JRL-
No hissing from booster / MC / lines anything.

The car is actually a 2000 with 71,000 miles on it.

Do you have a link for removing the driveshaft? It would be apprecaited.

Also if it is the front driveshaft making the thump can you take the front driveshaft out and run the car in RWD? Or will this cause problems with the bevel gear and or tranny?

Thanks again.

Blessyouboys 07-09-2008 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: mattdp79
Also if it is the front driveshaft making the thump can you take the front driveshaft out and run the car in RWD? Or will this cause problems with the bevel gear and or tranny?
You don't have a front driveshaft.

JRL 07-09-2008 07:38 PM

JRL-
No hissing from booster / MC / lines anything.

The car is actually a 2000 with 71,000 miles on it.

Do you have a link for removing the driveshaft? It would be apprecaited.

Thanks again.

Sorry.
Re-bleed the brakes but you may need a master cylinder
It DOES sound like a bad driveshaft.

You probaby need a new ignition ring

NEVER NEVER hit the "W" button. This starts the car off in 2nd gearand is bad for the transmission

mattdp79 07-11-2008 07:56 AM

JRL-

When you say ignition ring do you mean "lock and tumbler" ? Or something else?

There is now front drive shaft? I have a front and rear diff. Dont driveshafts run ito the differentials?

Thanks.

Blessyouboys 07-11-2008 08:02 AM

There is now front drive shaft? I have a front and rear diff. Dont driveshafts run ito the differentials?
A stock XC70 doesn't have a front differential.

Have you looked under your car?

mattdp79 07-11-2008 08:15 AM

Yes -

It has the tanny mounted sideways next to the engine- then the front diff. with what i think are driveshafts running to the front wheels - then the rear diff.

Blessyouboys 07-11-2008 10:13 AM

Those aren't driveshafts, those are axles.

You do not have a front differential.

You do not have a front driveshaft.

What do you think the bevel gear does?