Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   2001 xc 70 with vibration (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/2001-xc-70-vibration-40023/)

nskeates 03-19-2010 02:39 PM

2001 xc 70 with vibration

Hello,

i have got a 2001 v70 xc 2,4T auto and have this one issue that is spoiler what should be a lovely drive. when under load i get a vibration thro the floor of the car, not the steering wheel or pedals. the work i have had done and checked so far :-

new top engine mount
2 new tyres and other 2 balanced

the garage has checked the engine mounts, driveshafts, run-out on wheels and driveline. everything underneath seems to be ok.

the onkly thing that maybe a little soft is the centre propshaft rubber mount which you can wiggle the propshaft about by 3/4" - 1". is this sort of movement ok ? the propshaft sits lower in the mount, is this correct ?

the more you put your foot down on the accelerator the worse the vibration, it is not related to speed but the amount of load .

any help would be appreciated as the mechanic and myself are lost as where to go next.

any help appreciated
thanks
neil

nskeates 03-22-2010 02:11 AM

Does anybody know what sort of job it is to remove the propshaft from a 2001 v70 xc ? does the exhaust need to be removed ? how long should it take ?

thanks

mmccraney 03-24-2010 05:53 PM

V70 XC Virbration when accelerating

I've got teh same problem with my 99' only when you accelerate it vibrates. I know I need to replace the top motor mount but havent checked the front axels. I did however find out the other day as I was getting a hitch put on that I dont have a rear drive shaft. Yeah the dealer got an earfull on that one. If I figure it out I'll let ya know..Matt

tech 03-24-2010 08:45 PM

I will bet it is a bad inner axle joint on one of the axles.

nskeates 03-25-2010 02:16 AM

Hello,

how do i check the inner axle joints as all looks fine according to the mechainic that has looked at it.

thanks
neil

tech 03-25-2010 08:45 PM

You would grab the inner joint right at the transmission. Then either the shaft or the tire with the other hand and rock back and forth. Almost like giving an Indian burn. If you hear clicking or feel play between the inner section and outer the axle is bad.

nskeates 03-26-2010 02:38 AM

thanks tech,

will have a look this weekend.

neil

Video Vertigo 04-27-2011 05:36 PM

Tech, you're a genius. If only I hadn't gotten hung up on semantics (where I grew up, an Indian burn was something else - what you describe is what I called a "snake bite") I could have diagnosed this shake a long time ago.

At any rate, my mechanic has insisted that the CV joints on my '01 V70XC are okay, but when I recently changed wheels / tires, I decided to check the inner joint and it's doing exactly what you describe - a little play, some clicking - on both sides in front. I wonder if my mechanic was only checking the outer CV joints? Who knows.

Anyway, I don't suppose there is another thread with a step-by-step for replacing these bad boys, is there? I hear the driver's side one won't just slide out of the transmission, it needs to be pried. Any trick to that?

Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks for leading me to this diagnosis. This forum rules.

tech 04-30-2011 09:36 AM

A pry bar will pop the drivers side out.
You can either remove the lower control arm from the hub and swap the axle. Or you can remove the strut from the hub and work the axle out.

trans am 05-01-2011 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 268936)
A pry bar will pop the drivers side out.
You can either remove the lower control arm from the hub and swap the axle. Or you can remove the strut from the hub and work the axle out.

I think I have this same problem on my 90k miles 2000 s70 awd. I bought a complete suspension kit for fcp groton 2 years ago but in nyc the roads are terrible. I have been getting this shakeyness lately in the suspension above 50 mph. not like steering wheel bad break caliper or bad rim balancing its more like you feel like the steering wheel and the chassis has some play. it almost feels like the steering wheel is not connected to the rest of the car but you can still control the car but it almost feels unsafe. it only happens when you are on a really bumpy surface but it doesnt feel damp or controlled. just wobbly. does that make any sense? I just want to get rid of it. I had my mechanic drive it and test it on a street but he was only going 30mph and he said i was just paranoid and it was fine. I didnt realize it usually occurs above 40 mph. I know how my car used to feel last year and now it feels totally different. I just want to figure out what I need to change or look for without tearing the whole car apart.

tech 05-01-2011 07:40 AM

It is possible. But it might also be something else I would inspect the front end.

trans am 05-04-2011 05:06 PM

could it be the axle is going bad?

tech 05-05-2011 06:52 PM

Yes it is possible.