Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   2001 XC70 98k, oil leak/dripping from turbo compressor housing (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/2001-xc70-98k-oil-leak-dripping-turbo-compressor-housing-25590/)

tcrossley 12-15-2008 06:53 AM

2001 XC70 98k, oil leak/dripping from turbo compressor housing

hello all, happy holidays!

spend several hours this weekend looking through the archives, alot of good info. i am an ex-BMW tech, and this is my 3rd turbo volvo (850 FWD,V70 AWD, and now a XC70).

as stated in alot of the posts my searches revealed, my 850 & V70 both dripped at the connection between the air intake hose and the turbo compressor. the bike tire inner tube lessen this - nice fix.

HOWEVER, i am trying to nail down this leak on my 2001 XC70 - that connection is DRY, absolutely no oil. i am getting an oil 'drip' right off the bottom of the compressor housing (aluminum/cold side). last night i took it all apart, the intake tube looks fine, the flame arrestor boot/junction has the typical grime, not not 'dripping'. the dirtiest/most suspect thing looks to be the small vac line that goesfrom the compressor to the turbo control valve/relay. it has the factory pinch clamp, and is not very accessable. on the turbo, the oil in and out are dry.

additionally, the car has been feeling very lazy, takes alot of throttle to get the car to move. i am also suspect of the turbo control relay, but i am not getting any codes.

any ideas or words of wisdom. I don't like taking something apart and 'not really finding' what is wrong - i'm just not sure on this one.

regards,
todd

tech 12-15-2008 07:21 AM

RE: 2001 XC70 98k, oil leak/dripping from turbo compressor housing

Make sure the oil lines on the turbo aren't weaping.
While you had the intake hose off did you feel for shaft play in the turbo?

tcrossley 12-15-2008 02:04 PM

thanks tech. the turbo oil supply and drain are DRY. the only oil/junk accumulation is around the the small rubber hose that connects to the compressor housing to determine boost.

could the combination of a failed turbo control solenoid be creating some issue where oil is appearing here?

regards,
todd

tech 12-15-2008 02:51 PM

I highly doubt it.

What I would do is lean it all up good and drive it some and check from there.

Was the return line o-ring replaced lately?

tcrossley 12-15-2008 03:36 PM

yeah, i guess cleaning it all up is all i can really do right now.

no oring have been changed, the oil return line is dry on both the turbo and engine block side.

is there any way to test the turbo solenoid? disconnect it and see if the performance suffers/changes? (will get CEL though)

regards,
todd

tech 12-15-2008 03:42 PM

If you unplug it you might not get any boost at all.
Common sign of it being bad is a surging at highway speed for now reason.