Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

2002 Volvo XC70 - Disgusted

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2002 Volvo XC70 - Disgusted

The first part of November purchassed this car with 90,000+/- miles on it.
We also purchased a warranty from Alpha Warranty service with it.
The front end would clunk going over bumps so the dealership replaced the inner tie rods on the front end. Drove great for 2 days, then it started making another noise and vibrating the whole car driving at 50.
Took it back to the dealer ship and they fixed a bushing. When I inquired which bushing, I wasnt able to talk tot he mechanic and the salesman didnt know. It went back to clunking over bumps so took it to the import repair place here in town. They gave me a list of items that needed fixing
for a total of 3
3500 dollars. Mind you, I had only had the car for a month and didnt even have plates on it yet. Took it back to the dealership where they told me the repair shop was 'selling' me and that the car didnt need that much work done to it.

The transmission shifts hard, races occasionally. They told me it was a quart overfilled and I need to take it and have it flushed.
Now the danged thing wont start in the mornings. It was dead at the dealership when I first looked at it, they put in a new battery.
The battery is testing out fine at 600 amps when I get it to Autozone, but
again this morning and yesterday didnt want to start. Sometimes the dash lights come on, sometimes they dont. Yesterday when i turned the key nothing came on, jumped it and it started right up.
This morning after jumping it off of the front terminal under the hood, the
check engine light is on.

Alpha warranty said since I only had 600 miles on the car most of the conditions were pre existing, and that they wouldent cover my issues.

Beginning to hate this car. Bought it on the Volvo name, sucks since I lost my job 3 weeks after purchasing it.

Some cheese with my Whine please -)

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer. Not to pour salt on the wound but this is a good reason to have an independent examination before any used car purchase. A couple of hundred bucks would have steered you away from this dog.

My experience has been that Volvos are darn near indestructible but they do need to be maintained. This one sounds like it was abused by previous owners. It's too bad you have been stuck with the result.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Your clunking noise while going over bumps is probably your strut mounts and spring seat cushions. This is a very common problem to maintenance on these cars. The springs seats get worn out and that is what causes the clunking noise. Would not be a bad idea to replace your struts if you tear it apart. You must have a spring compressor to do this job.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 AM

I HATE (most) dealers and anything that has to do with insurance! Luckily, our local Volvo dealer is a DREAM...the extended warr. I payed for will probably give me GAS if I ever have to use them!.......Replace the word "INSURANCE" with ponsi scheme and you'd me more on the mark!