Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   abs control module (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/abs-control-module-43296/)

totalskiier 07-10-2010 03:59 PM

abs control module

Hello, i have a 2004 Volvo XC70 and have been told that the ABS control module needs to be replaced. This particular model cannot be repaired because it has software within the system. I found a used ABS from a autopart store however, they said that it may need to be flashed at the dealership after it is replaced. Can anyone tell me any other action to take to fix this problem? I would really hate to purchase the part if something else is causing the warning light to say on or if we can just upgrade the software. BTW, the dealer already upgraded the software package for the car, but i'm not sure if there is a secondary software package within the ABS system. I had to slam on my brakes one day and the warning light has been on ever since.

tech 07-10-2010 05:26 PM

They can be repaired.

totalskiier 07-11-2010 08:40 AM

How is the ABS Control Module repaired? I saw a forum that described how to repair it by soldering the post, but when I called one of the places that actually repairs the ABS Control Module, they said that the module on the 2004 Volvo XC70 AWD wasn't repairable because of internal software. I found a used module for this make and model but he said that it may have to be "flashed" by the dealer. The quote for a used module from the dealer was $670 with a 90 day warranty and the new module runs $1,445 and has a 1/yr parts and labor warranty. Personally, I don't believe that the module is bad, but I'm not a mechanic. I need more info on the subject before moving forward. Thanks!

tech 07-11-2010 08:50 AM

Have you tried this guy yet? http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

totalskiier 07-11-2010 10:18 AM

I emailed him on Friday He only said that he was doing testing with a local dealership, so I replied back asking him about the 2004 XC70 Module. I haven't heard back. I also spoke with modulemasters.com and they are the ones who told me that this module could not be repaired because of the internal software. I'm thinking of taking it and having the brake sensors cleaned on Monday. From everything I've read, this could be causing the problem, I'm not sure though. I want to get the codes from the dealer as well. I also own a Murano and was told the the cadilitic converter was bad, they didn't tell me that there are three of these on the vehicle and I checked around, changed the gas I was using (to medium grade) and the check engine light went out and hasn't come back on. I do not trust any auto repair shop.

tech 07-11-2010 05:34 PM

The sensors are possible. But I am starting to see the newer modules go bad as well.

totalskiier 07-12-2010 02:03 PM

ok, i did not hear back from Victor so I've purchased a used ABS Control Module from an on-line parts outfit, same part number, off of a 2004 Volvo S80, will replace and update the software once installed if necessary....keeping my fingers crossed that this fixes the issue. Still will cost about $500-$600 when it's all said and done.

vailpass 08-06-2010 10:42 AM

xeMODex is the place that rebuilds the 2002-2006 Volvo ABS modules. They rebuild your own module so you don't need to have it flashed. $450.00
http://xemodex.com/index.html

I'm in the process of sending mine in right now but first need to remove the ABS module from my 2003 XC70.
Anyone have any tips on removing the module?

Dunks 07-20-2011 10:30 PM

Volvo ABS Module

Have a look at this site, there is a useful video showing removal etc.

https://www.midwest-abs.com/ABS_Modules.php

vailpass 07-21-2011 11:00 AM

Thanks for the tip Dunks. I actually was able to remove my ABS module last August and sent it in to Xemodex for rebuild. It's been almost a year now and it is running like a champ. The new casing does a better job of heat deflection than the OEM and it cost me less than half of what a new module would have.

I am in no way involved with them but here is one very satisfied Xemodex customer.

jime 07-22-2011 10:54 AM

05 XC70 has ABS light on-needs servicing confused by diagnosis. It appears that is only ABS module not Pump-mtr. assy what have others have to say? It appears to be heat related as it usually does not come on on cold start-ups.

Dunks 07-22-2011 09:52 PM

Volvo ABS Module

That's great news as I am about to send my unit to Xemodex, good to hear from someone who is satisfied with the result.

vailpass 07-23-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jime (Post 282050)
05 XC70 has ABS light on-needs servicing confused by diagnosis. It appears that is only ABS module not Pump-mtr. assy what have others have to say? It appears to be heat related as it usually does not come on on cold start-ups.

The ABS modules are known to go out. Have your independent repair shop or dealer diagnose and confirm if you want to be sure.
They will quote you a price for a new module.
When my module went out I sent it to Xemodex for rebuild; 1/2 the price and a year later still running strong. See earlier in this thread for link.
Good luck.

vailpass 07-23-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dunks (Post 282130)
That's great news as I am about to send my unit to Xemodex, good to hear from someone who is satisfied with the result.

I hope your results are as good as mine were. Good luck.

jime 07-24-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 282191)
The ABS modules are known to go out. Have your independent repair shop or dealer diagnose and confirm if you want to be sure.
They will quote you a price for a new module.
When my module went out I sent it to Xemodex for rebuild; 1/2 the price and a year later still running strong. See earlier in this thread for link.
Good luck.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my prior comment. I had it diagnosed by an independent shop who said it is pump-mtr. ASSy. I doubt this diagnosis as the ABS light and message is NOT on all the time. In fact from a cold start-up it usually takes quite awhile for the light to come on. Being an engineer, I believe it is heat (temperature) related. Any comments?

bnallen 08-02-2012 08:17 AM

2004 XC V70 ABS Module Failure

I have a 2004 XC V70 that apparently has a failed ABS Module.
The lights are generally "on" (though somewhat intermittent). The Trip-Odometer shows "_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _" when the Brake failure lights are illuminated. I have replaced all the brakes and the sensors.

I have tried contacting the Midwest repair guy (Indiana?) - but he only repairs ABS Module up to 2011.

I have contact BBS in Taunton, MA (and international) - the want $550 for a rebuilt module.

There is reference to someone on thread who charges about $450+/-.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS?

Thanks.

orpstud 08-15-2012 04:19 PM

Great experience with xeMODex

After reading the thread regarding the ABS module, I just wanted to share my experience with xeMODex. I had all the ABS light symptoms indicated in various posts throughout the forum. I contacted xeMODex (xemodex..com) in Canada, confirmed the symptoms with them, and they sent a rebuilt module for my C70. My mechanic replaced it for $90, and I shipped my module back to xeMODex. The module was $149 plus $50 for 3-day delivery. They also charge $50 until they receive your defective unit, then credit back to you when they get it. Total cost with a mechanic doing the work, $289. Needless to say, I was extremely happy considering the alternatives.

sherly004 10-04-2012 04:56 AM

Thanks for sharing such a vital information, actually I am looking for information regarding. Now this thread definitely help me a lot.

pneborg 10-15-2012 04:19 PM

s80 abs module repair with xemodex works great!

I used xemodex 3 weeks ago to repair my S80 ABS module. It was relatively easy to remove the module. Sent it to xemodex via their preprinted mailing label. Drove around for a week without the module. It came back within a week. I reinstalled it (note you have to open the wiring harness's connector then insert the wiring harness into the module and then close the connector plastic tab to lock the wiring harness back into the module snugly. I fussed a little with the harness before realizing it needed to be opened first and then insert the wiring harness and then close) and it works great. no more brake failure warnings. Everything works fine including cruise control.