Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   another locked seatbelt question. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/another-locked-seatbelt-question-22330/)

Fazdaboy4ever 08-21-2008 10:11 PM

another locked seatbelt question.

Ok so after a quick trip to home depot i threw the passanger side seat down to fit a mirror we picked up. later that day I reached behind me to push the seat back up only to find that it would not go up. Ive seen a common problem is the little tab breaking off the belt and allowing it to go too far in. I would imagine thats my problem as its too tight to allow the seat to go back.

Now to my real issue... i didnt fold out the bottom pad of the seat i just pushed the seat over and called it good. now with that in my way i cannot do ANYTHING. Im thinking my ONLY course of action will be to disconnect the seat back from the car so i can get enough slack to unlock the seatbelt. Ive got the boulsters out of the car (both passanger and driver side) I have the passanger side butt pad out. and not sure if its a good thing or bad thing but i have also pulled the clips from the outer mounts of the 2 halves of the seat backs. the ones that apply pressure to the rod on each end. I just cannot figure out how to get them undone and i dont want to break anything that will be out of my budget to repair... i already have to go to volvo tomorrow to get some clips i broke and id like to give the stealership as little of my money as possible.

any help would be great!

-Andrew (frusterated v70xc owner).

on a side note the car has been great with no problems up to now other than a squeekie hatch latch, i havent really had the time to look at that though, that shouldnt be a problem for much longer.

tech 08-21-2008 10:19 PM

RE: another locked seatbelt question.

Can you get to the bottom bolt of the seat belt? If so loosen it then reset the seat belt.

Fazdaboy4ever 08-21-2008 10:43 PM

no that is my problem... its the middle belt, so its in the middle of that half of the seat. And since the butt pad is down reaching that bolt is out of the question.

tech 08-22-2008 07:59 AM

Not sure then I would have to look at one to see how I did it last time.

Fazdaboy4ever 08-22-2008 11:16 AM

yeah... I just paid for 8 dollars in clips to replace those damaged by me during the removal process. Have i ever said i dont like stealerships? because i dont... I cannot stand that they are a WEALTH of knowlage and the ONLY way you can even get a taste of the crumbs is for 92 freakin dollars an hour. I HATE how i know there is 5 guys there in the shop that have probably fixed this issue a dozen times before and have it down to a science but it doesnt help me in the slightest.

Not to mention i was dirty (just off work) and i felt like i was being looked down on the entire time i was there (22 yr old in dirty clothing and steel toe boots)... Ive never been to this dealership and i stood infront of a service manager for 5 WHOLE MINUTES before he even acknowlaged i was there, and i didnt even want the damn shop i wanted parts (which was equally as bad).

I just have to buckle down and try to figure out how to get this stupid seat back disconnected from the mounts and it will give me the slack to unlock the seatbelt... I really need some sleep, ill be back at it this afternoon though.

tech 08-22-2008 12:10 PM

I know that feeling as well. We are the local Dealers best retail customer and we get treated like that as well. I haven't had one of those out in a long time but try to remove the side bolster if there is one and see if there is a screw to remove it.

Fazdaboy4ever 08-22-2008 01:06 PM

7 Attachment(s)
yeah i have both side boulsters out. Here let the pictures do the talking...

Top:

Attachment 23511

Side / Angle:

Attachment 23512

Lower angle yet:

Attachment 23513

center of seats... I dont understand how the 2 halves mount to this bracket... it would make tons more sence if the bracket bolted on then it would make install and removal of the seat backs super easy. But its welded, so i am having trouble picturing what is going on in there and what i need to do to get it to let go:

Attachment 23514

The clip i removed, with pictures showing location of clip:

Attachment 23515
keeping in mind in the following picture that the clip location is only where it goes, but its not in its "installed" location, it gets pressed all the way down into that gap so the upside down L is touching the seat bracket.
Attachment 23516

off topic, but this is my toy I get to build on when the funds allow (not allowing when the other cars demand it :( ) still need to hook up the exhaust, i need to get a thin mount fan and finish plumbing all the small water lines and she should be a regular runner.

Attachment 23517

Fazdaboy4ever 08-22-2008 01:53 PM

ok i figured out the seat backs, i got them removed and was able to unbolt the lower mount... now my only problem is it is completely locked up, it will not unlock, even worse ive only got about 2 feet of seatbelt out of the seat now and the assembly is basically overloaded with too much seatbelt so i can bearly feed any more in.

is there ANY way to get to the mechanism just to manually unlock it.... i dont know how it can stay locked, even more how it can retract and STILL stay locked. its looking pretty grim, maybe its time to be looking in the junkyards for a new seatback.

tech 08-22-2008 02:37 PM

Ok try setting the seat back into position. It needs to be in normal position for the seatbelt to be abel to come out. They make it so that is has to be at a certain position for it to move.

BTW Nice intercooler setup.

Fazdaboy4ever 08-22-2008 05:55 PM

your awesome! I came in here after getting frusterated not having any idea what to do... i had the seat back on my washer laying down, standing it up didnt instantly solve my problem i had to take a screw driver and stick it down in the seat and force it to roll some of the seat belt back in but it unlocked it this time! THANK YOU!

Its all back together, plus i was so happy with how it went back together I gave it a nice detail job, some leather conditioner, a vacuum, some carpet shampoo in the back because my wife wont listen when i say dont put the dog in the back... when i take the truck to work she decides she wants to take pooch somewhere (hes a german shepard who cannot stand cars, he likes to throw up and he drools like a faucet) so the windows got a good washing with the carpet shampoo... it feels SO much nicer!

btw the fmic setup is on my 92 protege. I had it on another car that got me down the 1320 in 14.2 @ 101 and 13.7 @ 98 with slicks (its a smallish turbo and it was only 9psi). Im excited to get this one out but i just havent had the money to do the finishing touches i mentioned. I also have a 4wd protege in my garage, it will probably wait till next winter and ill take all the good stuff off this green one to make an evo killer!. its been 2 years since i had my last car with this setup and i REALLY miss it! Im just trying to convince my wife to let me swap a 2.3l turbo motor into the ranger and my turbo fleet will be complete!

tech 08-22-2008 06:55 PM

LOL eventually I want to add a FMIC to my Yellow 850. At one time all the parts could have been had off e-bay for less than $200.00 but will be a little more now. But I want to do that then tweek a little more. I want to squeeze a little over 300Hp out of it. I estimate I am at about 270 now.The wifes has almost the same setup as mine. But for some reason hers is faster than mine with double the milage of mine[:@]