Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Camshaft Position Sensor??? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/camshaft-position-sensor-17158/)

Flyingdutchmen 01-31-2008 05:23 AM

Camshaft Position Sensor???

Hi,
Newbie here. I just purchased a 2001 XC70 and having a few problems. After driving the car for the first time, approx. 1 hour on the highway, I exited and slowed to a stop. When I went to step on the gas pedal to pull through the intersection the engine quit. I restarted, no problem. and then at the next intersection same thing happened. This time after restart, the check engine light came on and the engine began to hunt at idle. After one more quit/restart, made it home and plugged in the OBD and came up with P0014. SoI dida bunch of searching on the net, and it looked like either the cam position sensor or Cam solonoid. Since I had just purchesed the car, I decided to take it to the local dealer and have them plug it in and see what codes they could pull. They gave me all the test results showing ECM-644A Camshaft control - Faulty position, and the parameters of the ECM - Adaptation camshaft opeings 1,2,3,4 all at 20 degrees. The shop foreman said that if they were going to work on it, they would replace the solonoid. So I purchased the solonoid and a new gasket and did it myself. The old one did appear to have a little sludge in it, but no bad. Anyways, car started fine, and after about 5 minutes of driving, when stepping on the gas to pull away at an intersection it quit again. Then a few more times until I got home, and once again, hunting idle. I shut the engine off, waited a few minutes and restarted it and the check engine light cam on again, and once again the code was P0014. Do I need to reset the ECU for the new solonoid, and how?
So is the next step to replace the camshaft position sensor, or check the plug and wiring? If so, where is it located, any pictures or diagrams would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom

tech 02-01-2008 05:42 PM

RE: Camshaft Position Sensor???

I would check the sensor but if all looks good I would try to find out the cars history.
The Timing might be off or something wrong with the VVT pulley.

Flyingdutchmen 02-01-2008 08:23 PM

Thanks for the reply Tech. I removed the camshaft position sensor last night and it looked ok, but being an electrical component, the inside could be the malfunction. When I tried running the car with it unplugged, it didn't seem to run much different. Would this indicate that it is probably faulty? I gotthe carfrom an Acura dealer in Florida, and they claim they didn't touch the timing belt, but who knows what happened before they got it. I'm not comfortable checking the timing myself. Would I be ok to take it to a mechanic other then the Volvo dealer? Would you recommend checking the timing first or replace the sensor?

Thanks again for any suggestions,
Tom

tech 02-02-2008 09:56 AM

Are you still in Florida?
I would find a shop that knows Volvo's to look it over.

Flyingdutchmen 02-02-2008 11:10 AM

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. The dealer here seams to be pretty good. Maybe I'll try replacing the sensor first, and then if it's still causing problems, into the dealer. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for the advise.

ttomb142 04-12-2015 03:58 PM

I have a 2005 xc70 doin the same thing as the above member can the timing belt be stretching out and doing this I dont no do you?