Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Damn IPD (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/damn-ipd-47740/)

mudpie 11-23-2010 04:30 PM

Damn IPD

I swear, IPD must take classes on how to provide the worst possible customer service. My first experience with them was so bad I swore I'd never give them any of my money again. Unfortunately, as a last resort, I had to order a CV shaft repair kit for my '98 XC.

So I get the kit, and it's got 3 packets of grease. No instructions on how much grease goes in the inner boot, and how much in the outer, so I check their web site. Someone posted a review saying 2 packets goes in the inner, and 1 in the outer, but that's for the non-turbo V70. Nothing on whether the turbo XC is the same. So I call them, and this is what I get....

IPD: Hello, thank you for calling IPD, how can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I've got this axle shaft rebuild kit, and it's got 3 packets of grease, but there's no instructions on how much I'm supposed to use for each joint.
IPD: Use it all.
Me: What?
IPD: You're supposed to use all the grease.
Me: No, you don't understand, I'm trying to figure out how much to use in each of the two boots.
IPD: Hang on, let me check.
...on hold....
IPD: Hi, yeah, put as much as you can in the boot.
Me: Well, I could probably cram all 3 packets of grease into one boot, but that would leave none for the other one.
IPD: Well, if you need some more we can send it out to you.
Me: No, you still don't get it. I have 3 packets of grease. Some goes in the inner joint, and some in the outer. How do I divide this up? Does one of the joints get two packs, and the other get one, or do I split it evenly between the two, or what?
IPD: Yeah, split it.

I'm not exactly brimming with confidence in that answer. Does anybody know for sure how much of the grease goes in which joint? Is it the same as the non-turbo V70 that was posted as I mentioned above?

Any help appreciated.

ed7 11-23-2010 07:24 PM

The grease goes in the joint, not the boot. Once the joint is packed, excess grease slings off and does no good. Ever pack a wheel bearing? What is not in the bearing does no good.
Ed

tech 11-23-2010 09:11 PM

Are all 3 packs the same?
The inner grease and outer grease is different as well.

mudpie 01-14-2011 08:07 PM

I've been out of town working long hours, hence the delay.

Yeah, I've done wheel bearings before, and CV joints too. I get the concept. The one person on IPD's site who had written a review of the boot kit indicated that there is a spec from Volvo as to how much goes in each joint, so I just wanted to check. I'll just pack 'em and throw it together.

As for the grease itself, all 3 packets appear to be the same. Why would there be a difference between the inner and outer grease?

Thanks for the input

tech 01-23-2011 10:02 AM

The inner grease is different due to being a different type of joint. The inner grease looks almost like a coffee icecream. The outer grease just looks like black/gray grease.

nelsonent1 02-01-2011 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 245594)
I swear, IPD must take classes on how to provide the worst possible customer service. My first experience with them was so bad I swore I'd never give them any of my money again. Unfortunately, as a last resort, I had to order a CV shaft repair kit for my '98 XC.

So I get the kit, and it's got 3 packets of grease. No instructions on how much grease goes in the inner boot, and how much in the outer, so I check their web site. Someone posted a review saying 2 packets goes in the inner, and 1 in the outer, but that's for the non-turbo V70. Nothing on whether the turbo XC is the same. So I call them, and this is what I get....

IPD: Hello, thank you for calling IPD, how can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I've got this axle shaft rebuild kit, and it's got 3 packets of grease, but there's no instructions on how much I'm supposed to use for each joint.
IPD: Use it all.
Me: What?
IPD: You're supposed to use all the grease.
Me: No, you don't understand, I'm trying to figure out how much to use in each of the two boots.
IPD: Hang on, let me check.
...on hold....
IPD: Hi, yeah, put as much as you can in the boot.
Me: Well, I could probably cram all 3 packets of grease into one boot, but that would leave none for the other one.
IPD: Well, if you need some more we can send it out to you.
Me: No, you still don't get it. I have 3 packets of grease. Some goes in the inner joint, and some in the outer. How do I divide this up? Does one of the joints get two packs, and the other get one, or do I split it evenly between the two, or what?
IPD: Yeah, split it.

I'm not exactly brimming with confidence in that answer. Does anybody know for sure how much of the grease goes in which joint? Is it the same as the non-turbo V70 that was posted as I mentioned above?

Any help appreciated.

I have changed many cv joints and boots. You can put too much in and cause problems such as the boot blowing out. There needs to be some common sense about packing the bearing fully, rotating it around a bit, and putting a bunch in the boot. Too little in the boot, the grease will get hot and leave the bearing... going into the boot. Too much and the pressure from the boot turning sideways causes the boot to pop off the cv joint... Just pack the bearing real good, put some extra in the boot, and get the straps on tight. Good luck