Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Devoted Maxima-tholic ready to convert! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/devoted-maxima-tholic-ready-convert-27951/)

Jahallah 02-26-2009 06:05 PM

Devoted Maxima-tholic ready to convert!

I have frequented Maxima dot org for years and am considering switching to a Volvo turbo wagon.

I had knee surgery so I have to sell the 5spd anyway. I can't fit my drums in my Maxima, and I live in the NE tundra, so AWD is very important.

When I was young my mom had a 1995 850T wagon, I think. maybe a 750.. idk, anyway I remember it being fast and I do drive aggressively. But enough useless trivia.

I was wondering besides the timing belt and normal wear and tear, what should I specifically look for as I am looking at a 2001 V70 XC AWD Turbo tomorrow with 86,000+ miles. And is $9k a bit much for this? it seemed kinda low comparatively.

Thanks in advance for any help
-Andy

Somthngfrce 02-27-2009 07:17 AM

Welcome...... So you are converting from a Maxima... You will love Volvos then. I had a 96,97 and 98 Maxima SE 5speed. They were some of the funnest cars I have had. Performace and handling wise, Volvo should feel extremely solid but otherwise it should be similar to the Maxima. Fit and finish should be the better than the Maxima. Service schedule wise should be similar to the Nissan one so if you are accustomed to that it should be no big deal. As far as the XC, are you buying it privately or thru a dealer? See what the Service history is. Check on timing belts, fluid changes software updates for the ecu and I would also see if you can get a carfax with it too..Seems like average miles on it. The car should drive quietly and the turbo should spool seamlessly.
Good luck with the possible purchase of the Volvo.. Keep us upto date on your purchase...

Jahallah 02-27-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce (Post 146252)
Welcome...... So you are converting from a Maxima... You will love Volvos then. I had a 96,97 and 98 Maxima SE 5speed. They were some of the funnest cars I have had.

Neat, I also had a 4th gen maxima (95-99) awesome car

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Performace and handling wise, Volvo should feel extremely solid but otherwise it should be similar to the Maxima. Fit and finish should be the better than the Maxima. Service schedule wise should be similar to the Nissan one so if you are accustomed to that it should be no big deal. As far as the XC, are you buying it privately or thru a dealer? See what the Service history is. Check on timing belts, fluid changes software updates for the ecu and I would also see if you can get a carfax with it too..Seems like average miles on it. The car should drive quietly and the turbo should spool seamlessly.
Good luck with the possible purchase of the Volvo.. Keep us upto date on your purchase...

well, a different place down the street has both a v70 r, which is more my style i think .. it's an 04 with 62k miles and it's $15,250, is that a good price? the kbb is 19k though so im wondering if it's TOO good a price. they also have a v70 XC for 12,900. Both are dealers. Will keep you all posted,

Thanks for the info! Will definitely keep all that in mind.

Somthngfrce 02-27-2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jahallah (Post 146308)
it's an 04 with 62k miles and it's $15,250, is that a good price? the kbb is 19k though so im wondering if it's TOO good a price.
Thanks for the info! Will definitely keep all that in mind.

Kell Blue Book and NADA are retail prices. There should be add on and deduct values depending on what accessories and packages the car has. For example, high mileage on all books including Blackbook(which is wholesale) is a minimum of 1000 bucks from the top price, No working AC is also a deduct,etc..... So $19k is probably for a Super Clean low mileage car. Also, a dealer that has certain Vehicles in their inventory that they normally don't have or would normally sell, will probably be at a lower price to ensure they can move that car as opposed to a dealer that normally moves since the dealer that does move them is probably like to sell,so they start at a higher number. Also, you don't know what the dealer has in that car too( meaning they could have bought that vehicle from an auction at 10k or took it in trade for 11k... So there are a lot of Variables. It is unlikely that you will find out what they have in the car, so my suggestion would be research what the NADA figure, KBB figure and also street figure (private sale) anf ebay are for what ever car you are looking for. Then ask your self what the vehicle is worth to you. If KBB is 19k for that V70 and they are going on ebay for 13k, then 15k isn't that bad... However if they are going on ebay for for 13k why give a dealer 2 grand extra of "fluff"... U know what I mean? My previous job was a car dealer, that's how I drove all those Maximas, perk of the job but it is a game trying to figure out prices...