Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Driveshaft noise? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/driveshaft-noise-23696/)

johnhon 10-12-2008 11:13 AM

Driveshaft noise?

I'm getting a clunking noise (sounds like it's under the back seat)when I occasionally start from a stop on my green volvo. Also ,when standing still, foot on brake and shifting from Drive to Reverse I get a similar noise but not as loud. The noise sounds similar to a rusted brake pad or shoe breaking away for a drum or rotor. If the consensus is that it is the driveshaft what steps can I take to verify that it is the culprit and what are the repairs recommended? Thanks in advance for any input.

tech 10-12-2008 11:59 AM

RE: Driveshaft noise?

I would check all engine mounts first.

johnhon 10-12-2008 04:25 PM

Thanks, Tech. The 3 motor mounts under the engine look fine (the passenger side was replaced last year as well as the top torque bushing) I lifted the car and had my wife shift from D to R frequently to see if there was excessive movement . All looked good. Any other ideas?

tech 10-12-2008 08:22 PM

Then I would remove the driveshaft and test drive and see what happens.
There is allen screws front and rear. Also the bearing carrier.

johnhon 11-01-2008 05:06 PM

Thanks, Tech. I've been working on removing the driveshaft this afternoon and can't seem to get the rear end separated. I separated the front and after the 6 allen screws on the rear were removed, I yanked on the shaft pretty hard but it won't budge. Is it supposed to separate where the white dot is on the photo? I PB blasted it and will try again tomorrow.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1472/D22F3914B4894A21A87226C04E3B8547.jpg[/IMG]

tech 11-01-2008 08:50 PM

The photo is a little small but yes in that general area. If you have a brass hammer tap it a few hard times where where they meet. That might knock it loose.

johnhon 11-02-2008 12:29 PM

Thanks. That did it, and the clunking noise is gone after I test drove it. I'm very grateful that you moderate this forum and that you are here to help.

tech 11-02-2008 06:08 PM

Glad I could help.

volvolini 05-13-2010 05:35 PM

Hey tech, I also have driveshaft related question. I just replaced turbo on my 01 v70XC and in process of removing it I took transfer case out and disconnected driveshaft to gain some room. I replaced turbo, smoke is gone but my driveshaft is very noisy now. I was wondering what could have gone wrong? Noise starts at about 40 mp/h and its unbearable, i cant drive the car. It was totaly fine before turbo replacement. Its too much coincidence that driveshaft is gonne all of a sudden. Are there any tips of driveshaft R&R? :confused: