Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Front arm of the driver's door window regulator is bent a bit, can it be saved? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/front-arm-drivers-door-window-regulator-bent-bit-can-saved-74954/)

bcolins 11-19-2013 02:02 PM

Front arm of the driver's door window regulator is bent a bit, can it be saved?

I bought new plastic sliders for my driver's door window regulator assembly. When I went to install them, it looked like the front arm MIGHT be bent in and down a bit, but, ....... I was able to snap it into the new slider,....so,...I thought I was OK, until I tried to put the window up,.....The front of the window is pushed out at the bottom,...and is tracking behind (lower) the rear window edge,....so pretty sure the front arm IS bent.

I don't see any removeable fasteners for the window regulator. There appear to be rivets holding the regulator onto the inner door panel.

Can anyone tell me if the window regulator IS removeable and if so,.....how it comes out.

Thanks,
Brian in Austin

dsharp 11-19-2013 05:52 PM

You have to drill out the rivets. It takes a big rivet tool to squeeze the new rivets. Once you drill out the rivets the track and motor assy will come out the hole in the door. I would try to bend the arm straight. Its pretty common for the arms to get bent when the plastic slider breaks.

dsharp 11-19-2013 05:58 PM

Rivet tool search Marson "Big Daddy" I didn't name it. I would see if a body shop would rivet it for you.

bcolins 11-19-2013 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dsharp (Post 372278)
Rivet tool search Marson "Big Daddy" I didn't name it. I would see if a body shop would rivet it for you.

I can't believe they rivet the regulator into the door!

Brian

Cade_27 07-18-2015 11:07 PM

I have the same problem with my 05 S80.. I bought a replacement regulator for the driver side because I thought it couldn't be fixed but i just took the door panel off today and bent it simi back in place and it seems to be working OK but I need the blue sliders.. I was able to bend it back enough to where the window will work alright without taking the regulator off the door.. But that's only a temporary fix until I get the rivet tools

bcolins 07-18-2015 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cade_27 (Post 415405)
I have the same problem with my 05 S80.. I bought a replacement regulator for the driver side because I thought it couldn't be fixed but i just took the door panel off today and bent it simi back in place and it seems to be working OK but I need the blue sliders.. I was able to bend it back enough to where the window will work alright without taking the regulator off the door.. But that's only a temporary fix until I get the rivet tools

I went with the new regulator,...but instead of riveting back in,...I just used some short metric nuts and bolts I had around. Worked fine.

Cade_27 07-18-2015 11:34 PM

I actually thought about that one.. I think im going to try that and maybe even do something similar to the speakers..

porkchop112699 08-29-2015 02:25 PM

great info guys, iam embarking on this same issue, mine got bent pretty good, ordering one and replacing before winter. is that all there is holding it in, 3 rivits??? yeh replacing with nut bolt makes sense to me, any info on the ins and outs would be appreciated.