Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Headlights Going Out, one then the other (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/headlights-going-out-one-then-other-17481/)

S70driver 02-11-2008 02:33 PM

Headlights Going Out, one then the other

Ok my dad has an 03 XC70. Recently he has had the passengers side light go out. We replaced it. Shortly there after he had the drivers side headlight go out. Both of the the LOW beams that is.

What could be causing this?

tech 02-11-2008 06:07 PM

RE: Headlights Going Out, one then the other

How old were the old bulbs?
Usually they both have about the same life span I always replace both at the same time.

S70driver 02-11-2008 07:07 PM

Probably as old as the car is.

tech 02-11-2008 08:35 PM

Then I think it was just time for them to burn out.
Like i said above most of the time if one goes the other isn't far behind.
Does he always run the daytime running lights or did he have them turned off?

If he runs them the bulbs lasted a long time.

S70driver 02-11-2008 08:38 PM

I believe he runs DRL's all the time. I do as well even with my HID's.

He got the car used, so maybe the other owner replaced them before we did, who knows.

polarice 03-17-2008 11:25 PM

2002 xc70 with 50 K. I have had to replace the right front low beam about every 6-8 months since the car was new. I think that I replaced the left low beam once in 6 years. I have the DRLs on all the time. The price of the bulbs has come down a lot. I have used dealer bulbs and it didn't seem to make much difference. I have not attached a voltage meter to the bulb socket. Maybe I will compare voltage to each socket next time.I enjoy the entire car.

Volvo801 03-26-2008 11:40 AM

hate to say it, volvo bulbs are good for about every other service/ xenon bulbs have alot longer lifespan but i am sure as you all know, volvos eat bulbs like gasoline.

Psaboic 03-30-2008 07:41 PM

+1 to Tech. I ALWAYS replace headlight bulbs in pairs. I know it may sound crazy, but everytime I didn't do this, the other one burned out within a few days.....

SL 01-02-2009 07:57 AM

First of all, I thought I post here because of a similar problem after reading the above. Please let me know if I should start a new one instead next time even though it's for similar subject matter.

The passenger side low beam bulb was out last week on my 05 XC70. I took it to the dealer since my check engine light came on about two days after.

It turned out, I was told, the check engine light was false alarm because of some leak issue that couldn't be found. They said they "upgrade" mine to the newest software and clear the code. But here is what I am not understanding. They charged me a diagnostic fee $125 + tax for finding out why the check engine light was on (reading the codes). And they further charged me $22.55 for something called "ECM Gasoline Up" from the code.

And back to the low beam light. The passenger side low beam light was actually more than just a burned out bulb. They had to replace the "wiring harness connector" as well because it was burned. I was tempting to replace the bulb before going to the dealer, but found out it was very difficult to access the low beam area because of tight room, quite to the contrary to the owner's manual. But what surprising to me was the technician actually told me "the space is very tight and that's how we get all the cuts ......", displaying his hand with cuts to me at the same time. And all the time I've been thinking the mechanics probably have some special tools to make replacing the low beam bulb, and the "wiring harness connector" for this instance, much easier. I even asked for them to change both low beam bulbs, and give me back the still working driver side bulb, but was denied saying they do not recommend changing both at this time because it would be expensive.

I can not help but feeling a little awkward after paying over $350 for the whole thing. Here are my questions:

Why did the "wiring harness connector" burn out when it has been under normal driving condition all its life?
Did the "wiring harness connector" burn out when I did not replace the burned out bulb right away?
What should I do if the driver side one burn out?
Why did I get charge for software upgrade to fix faulty codes when I didn't do anything wrong? My computer and phone get software upgrade all the time without additional charges.

Any answer and comment is much appreciated!

Psaboic 01-02-2009 08:00 AM

Were the bulbs the original factory wattage, or were they higher powered "brighter" ones?

SL 01-03-2009 08:43 AM

Thanks for your reply. They are both original bulbs as far as I know. I did ask the service manager if they carry any other bulbs as alternatives (I was thinking the Xtravision) and she said they only have the standard ones.

SL 01-07-2009 07:48 AM

I guess no one has a comment or an explanation then. :(
Thanks any way.

tech 01-07-2009 08:04 AM

The harness plugs commonly do that. I think it is due to the lighter plastic they use and smaller wires.

Not sure why they didn't want to replace the other one as well.

Thats a car company thing I believe they all charge for software upgrades.

If the drivers side one burns out you will need to replace it as well.

Did they charge you for removing the bumper to replace the harness?

SL 01-07-2009 09:59 AM

Well, it was not listed on the invoice that the bumper was ever removed for this procedure, nor did they ever mention that to me. I remember the mechanic who actually did the job did say that he had to solder the wire in a very tight space.

Does this mean I have to bring the car in to them every time the low-beam bulb burned out? The high beam ones have more space behind thus allowing easier access. Should Volvo be responsible to replace the "defected" harness? By the same token, if a lighting socket on a home lighting fixture burned out like that, there would have been recall of that product, wouldn't there? And I can not help but have a sinking feeling that my car won't last as long as its reputation says it would. Please correct me if I am wrong, by all means.

tech 01-07-2009 10:11 AM

Sorry but they will never claim anything about the wiring harness. I have had to do a ton of them.
Thats why I am really confused about what they did. I know you can buy the harness and install a new harness in the headlight for not all that much money. Heck if you have small hands you don't even need to remove the headlight.

Im not sure what they soldered together so I cannot tell you if you will have to go back to have a new bulb done through them.

How much did they charge just to fix the headlight?

I see your point about the car should last alot longer but these days they look for the cheapest ways out.

The harnesses might be back to the old time harnesses which they called the Bio degratible harnesses. They installled them on the engines of the 240's. Had a ton of problems but never did anything about it either.

SL 01-07-2009 10:51 AM

34.98 Bulb
28.17 Wiring harness
4.44 Splice
$192.59 Total parts & labor

2.50 Hazardous Waste Removal (the burned out harness is the only thing removed as far as I know)

It is reasonable to me for this service. But what I was disappointed about was really that the problem should not be here in the first place. I guess those "parts" are now designed and engineered to last only a short few years.

And back to the software upgrade, I see that you said it's a car company thing. But that's just wrong in my opinion. I can understand if the software is something extra I purchased for some fancy stuff like the navigation device, perhaps. Then a fee for upgrading the software is, of course, reasonable. But it is the software for the main operating system that controls whether the check engine light comes on. Volvo charges customer to "upgrade" (really means to "correct" and fix bugs) this particular software so that it won't give out faulty codes

tech 01-07-2009 11:05 AM

I totally understand but there is nothing us average people can do to change that.

That has been one of my concerns from the start when it came to using software like that in the cars.

But there is about 20 computers in the car and if they need to be replaced software is need. So if your window switch goes bad and you need it replaced you have to pay for the part then software because it is a module.

SL 01-07-2009 11:29 AM

20 computers! And all these years I thought I was smarter than my car.

Thanks so much for your input, I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask in the future.

tech 01-07-2009 01:25 PM

Your welcome.

Panda 01-07-2009 03:41 PM

Just a comment on the "software charge"-I know that you have to pay (by "you" I mean the shop doing the work) when you purchase software. Each time. So if I had a software upgrade for your car, I would have to pay let's say $20 and then download it into your car. If I had a car come in the next day, exact same model and year,(next hour, next minute) needing the exact same software, I would have to purchase the software again. I have to pay Volvo every time I buy any piece of software and it is only able to be used one time.

Don't know if that applies here, but just thought I would throw that out there