Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Ignition Assembly (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/ignition-assembly-25469/)

Nascar Volvo 12-11-2008 01:04 PM

Ignition Assembly

Hi,

I am a new member and recently posted an inquiry regarding my ignition assembly - can turn key all the way around counter-clockwise, but have to work it to get the key out of ignition, although car still thinks key is inserted...starts fine, despite this...resulted form mechanic forcing it without realizing the release on shifter was sticking and preventing him from turnign key to "0" position. (Thanks to the responder who suggested assmebly is shot).

Follow-up questions are: (1) what is approximate cost for dealer to fix, (2) is this something I might be able to do myself(I'm handy with tools and keep two older trucks on the road - '79 Scout II, and '91 Grand Wagoneer), and (3) does anyone have pictures or diagrams that could help me tackle this project?

Thanks.

tech 12-11-2008 01:14 PM

RE: Ignition Assembly

The Dealer is quiet expensive. But I can guess that you should be able to handle it.

I think the assembly is like $300.00 to $400.00 it might be a hair more if you special order it from sweeden(which brings me to next thing)

If yours is a 1998 car then you should be able to stop by local Dealer and pick up a Generic one and install it. Which means you will now have 2 keys 1 to get in the car and another to start the car. If you want it keyed it can take up to 2 weeks to get it ordered and delivered. But if it is a 99 then the best bet will be to order the keyed one.

You will have to remove the steering wheel and turn signal and wiper switch to gain access to the top part of the assembly.

The top part is screwed to the lower section but they use break off screws which means when the screws are torqued to a specific amount the top part breaks off.

There is 2 ways to get them apart. 1. Drill the center of the screw and use an easy-out. 2. Use a sharp center punch and hammer and tap the screw to loosen it all the way. I usually use the center punch way unless the screws won't move.

I think there is pics somewhere on the site but the search function isn't working properly lately. Maybe someone will have the pics to repost them.

Hope this helps.

Nascar Volvo 12-11-2008 01:31 PM

Many thanks Tech. I will keep my eye peeled for pics or diagrams on how to change the ignition assembly, but your feedback and instructions are invaluable.

Thanks.

tech 12-11-2008 01:37 PM

I will try to dig some up as well.

Let us know what happens and what you decide to do.

Psaboic 12-12-2008 08:11 AM

If your mechanic broke it, like you mentioned in your post,can't you get him to fix it?