Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Location of headlight ballasts on a 2004 XC70 with xenon HID lights (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/location-headlight-ballasts-2004-xc70-xenon-hid-lights-47405/)

palehorse13 11-13-2010 01:26 AM

Location of headlight ballasts on a 2004 XC70 with xenon HID lights

1 Attachment(s)
My friend has a 2004 Volvo XC 70 AWD with xenon HID headlights. About 6 months ago the drivers side headlight (lowbeam) went out and after replacing the D2R bulb everything was fine. Then a month later the passenger side bulb went out but worked fine after the bulb was replaced.
Now the passenger sider low beam failure light has come on in the message center AND I note that the high beam also does NOT come on.
I have tried switching bulbs but I can't get the right side lowbeam or highbeam to work. Having searched the forums I read about the possibility of it being either the ballasts or the actual wiring harness. I read that I can swap the ballasts and if then the left headlight goes out then I can be pretty sure that the ballast is bad. My question is where are the ballasts? I see a plastic box located in the engine compartment behind the right headlight assembly which has two silver boxes in them, one a Volvo part and one a Bosch. Are these the ballasts (see attached photo)?

command 08-07-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by palehorse13 (Post 244162)
My friend has a 2004 Volvo XC 70 AWD with xenon HID headlights. About 6 months ago the drivers side headlight (lowbeam) went out and after replacing the D2R bulb everything was fine. Then a month later the passenger side bulb went out but worked fine after the bulb was replaced.
Now the passenger sider low beam failure light has come on in the message center AND I note that the high beam also does NOT come on.
I have tried switching bulbs but I can't get the right side lowbeam or highbeam to work. Having searched the forums I read about the possibility of it being either the ballasts or the actual wiring harness. I read that I can swap the ballasts and if then the left headlight goes out then I can be pretty sure that the ballast is bad. My question is where are the ballasts? I see a plastic box located in the engine compartment behind the right headlight assembly which has two silver boxes in them, one a Volvo part and one a Bosch. Are these the ballasts (see attached photo)?

Hey, man, it's not the ballasts.

The oem ballast for XC70 is this one: http://www.oemxenonpart.com/oemballa...last%20(1).jpg

Wish can help you.

youmeill 03-14-2012 10:13 PM

I got my kit from manyadeal.com
I got the 4300K color H11 55W kit (most closely resembles stock Volvo HID color).
I got their old Analog 55W kit--and all's well. No BOW.
Must say, that the beam pattern is not great, but there's a lot of light on the road.
Despite the potential for glare, I've never been flashed.

good luck !!!

cg23cpo 10-23-2018 05:54 PM

On my 2006 V70, the ballast is on the bottom of the headlight assembly. To get the headlight assembly out on the V70, remove the 2 screws in the wheel well, 4 plastic buttons on the bottom of the bumper cover and 6 buttons in the engine compartment. Pop off the bumper cover, remove 2 bolts for the plastic bumper and drop it to the ground (this part is in the way of getting the light assembly out). Take 2 screws and 2 bolts out of each side panel near the lights, fold down the plastic bumper cover retainer and remove 1 bolt behind it. Then remove 1 bolt to the inside of the light assembly and 2 on top. pop out the assembly and unplug. Flip it over and the flat silver box is the ballast. 6 or 8 screws hold it in. Replace. plug in and test without completely reassembling to make sure it works. Takes about 45 minutes the first time, and about 20 minutes each time after.

jim1154 10-23-2018 06:10 PM

they are under the headlamp housing ,screwed to the bottom of the housing

CHANTEGAINEY74 11-04-2021 02:12 PM

Where Are My Ballast? Please Help!!

Can someone please tell me where are the headlight ballast on a 2005 XC90 ? I looked under the actual headlight assemblies for both left and right and i can clearly see where there should be one there but both are missing. The situation is i keep getting low beam failure and my right headlight is out. The driver side is fine. However i cant seem to find where they are on this vehicle. Any assistance is appreciated.

hoonk 11-04-2021 03:10 PM

The ballasts are bolted to the bottom of the headlamp. Are you sure you have HID bulbs? They were an expensive option and H11s are the standard bulb. H11s get a melted connection at the bulb. A replacement bulb connector fixes that.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...52094a67d7.jpg

CHANTEGAINEY74 11-04-2021 04:33 PM

Im starting to think that this model doesnt have them, i only have the halogen lights so thats maybe why. All of the information i was seeing made it seem as if that was a standard component but now i am seeing that is strictly for the HID XEON lights.

Also upon further investigation i found that the connector had a burned out contact so im sure that is the issue anyways now.

Thanks for the feedback!

hoonk 11-04-2021 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by CHANTEGAINEY74 (Post 504264)
I found that the connector had a burned out contact

Some of the cheap H11 connectors you find will melt again easily. I always used the ones from Volvo ($$ :( ) after i tried an aftermarket connector and had to warranty it out shortly afterward.