Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   Need advice - 2014 XC70 with a shot AOC?!? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/need-advice-2014-xc70-shot-aoc-91727/)

XC70Driver 03-03-2017 04:49 PM

Need advice - 2014 XC70 with a shot AOC - Update with Good News!

I hate to make a first post like this, but here goes: long time Volvo fan - my dad drove them for years and when I could afford a Volvo it was my #1 pick to trust with my wife and kids. I bought a brand new '14 XC70 AWD after returning from Afghanistan - due to our crazy military life it now has 69K, mostly highway (and yep thus just out of warrantee). I PCS'd to Northern VA with my family last summer, and the wife notices the inside wheel slipping on turns and says the car rides rough. So I took it to the local dealer who tells me the Active on Demand Coupling (AOC) is blown and that is $3400 in parts alone - on a barely three year old car I am still making payments on!? It has been driven with kid gloves, serviced by Volvo, and driven mostly by the wife.
So the local dealer says they'll see what the can do, which amounts to some help with labor but still I'm still stuck with paying $3400 for the parts - which in my mind is completely unacceptable on a car this new and of the Volvo brand. Ironically, I bought a Volvo to avoid just such an issue.
Next, I called Volvo customer service 1-800 and as of this afternoon they started some type of complain, took my number, and told me somebody would be in touch in 3-5 days. Also - the lady I spoke with at Volvo said the decision to resolve problems like this comes down to a joint discussion recommendation between the local and the regional service reps - so it sounds like the local service was not really doing me any favors after all (I'm active military and bought the car in TN).
Sorry for the long story but I am actually heart sick over this - we love the car and I planned to drive it for at least 10 years. Any advice would be appreciated.

Smith Volvo 03-03-2017 05:17 PM

Pretty sure Volvo will help out - I would request that the service manager contact his service rep

XC70Driver 03-03-2017 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Smith Volvo (Post 444260)
Pretty sure Volvo will help out - I would request that the service manager contact his service rep

Thanks - at this point I really hope so. What is disconcerting is I believe the service manager already spoke with the regional service rep with no joy - that is according to the service person I spoke with yesterday at the local dealer (not the manager) who then told me the best they could do was give me a break on the labor. I tried to call the service manager today but it was late in the day.

ES6T 03-03-2017 05:50 PM

I would also be surprised if this doesn't get goodwilled. I've seen plenty of AOC pumps fail but rarely the whole AOC.

XC70Driver 03-17-2017 05:16 PM

After a week of working with the Volvo customer service 1-800 folks the issue was resolved. Regional service manager agreed to goodwill fix at no cost - restoring my faith in Volvo customer service. Of note, they did ask for copies of all my service records, which I was able to get from the 2 dealerships I had the car serviced at over the years. Should have listened when my dad said save all service records. But a few phone calls and emails and we got the records. You would think Volvo could access those in a national database of some kind but I guess not. We are happy ... I wish this didn't happen but it was good to see Volvo stand behind their product.

xc70 dude 01-30-2018 10:54 AM

XC7o AWD Disabled message

Hi, XC70 2014 driver, how did the issue sort out. I just brought my car in, had a dashboard notice that the AWD was disabled?

Peter