Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   P1113 Ambient Air Temp? Help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/p1113-ambient-air-temp-help-31729/)

jamweth 06-25-2009 09:28 AM

P1113 Ambient Air Temp? Help

My car is a 2000 XC 70 SE. It has 2 codes in it right now P1330(speed sensor) and P1113(ambient air temp). the temperature reading on the dash is pretty much right on and all the posts i read seamed to say if the sensor was bad, the temp on the dash would be off. I have changed the plugs, reprogrammed ABS, replace a/c compressor and replaced Mass air flow all in the last month and don't want to waste more money.
Please let me know if anybody has any info on the P 1113 code or the ambient air temp sensor!

This is my 4th volvo and right now I wish I still had the 740 turbo wagon.

Thanks for your help!

jamweth 06-25-2009 01:50 PM

after much searchingon the internet, maybe the code is the intake air temp sensor, not ambient air. Can't seem to locate the part online though. anyone have any problems with this or know where to get the part?
I am new here, but did not see any info on this in the forum.

tech 06-25-2009 08:44 PM

It will be one if the sensors in the piping going to the throttle body under the intake manifold.

jamweth 06-25-2009 09:03 PM

Thanks tech, where is the best place to purchase that sensor?

tech 06-25-2009 09:04 PM

You might end up at the Dealer. But I would check with FCPgroton.com first.

nick89 07-26-2009 01:17 PM

i have the same code with my s60 i bought the sensor through autozone it was a oes volvo part it was 38.00 dollars but im trying to figure out how to put it in still lol

Blownby 07-31-2009 04:11 PM

As far as I can tell the intake air temp sensor is part of the fresh air tube feeding the ETM.I cant get that sensor seperatly.It looks like part of a vacuum line if your lookin at it.
The ambient air temp sensor is located in the air box under the dash.Two different ones are available.Depends on which one you have.
One is roughly 40,and the other is about 165.

nick89 07-31-2009 08:20 PM

k i got that done u were right it was the one under the dash... now im having a new problem i raced a civic today and i won of course but my clutch pedal went down to the floor and wouldnt come back up and i had no pressure i had to power shift it to get it home when i got it home it was smoking! some type of fluid was leaking on the motor and burning off im pretty sure it was brake fluid due to the fact that my reservoir was half empty and my brake light came on and my little text box said brake system failure service urgent ...lol.. can anyone give me a good guess what i need??

Ari30 05-18-2010 03:33 PM

P1113 Ambient Air Temp? Help.

Hi. I have a 2003 s60 AND I am getting code p0073 (ambient air temp sensor high). You mentioned this sensor is under the dash. What area specifically? I am not 100% sure if it is the same problem but I could give it a try.

Blownby 05-19-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ari30 (Post 217982)
Hi. I have a 2003 s60 AND I am getting code p0073 (ambient air temp sensor high). You mentioned this sensor is under the dash. What area specifically? I am not 100% sure if it is the same problem but I could give it a try.

Yours might be in the Left or Right Exterior mirror.I want to say the only sensor under your dash is "maybe" an Intake Air Quality Sensor,but im not sure.Last time we had a tech replace the Ambient air sensor it was in the mirror of the S60's.Just have to find out which sensor in which mirror is bad.I also just looked in another common spot.There is a ambient temp sensor located behind the Climate controls.Its bolted to the back of the unit.For some reason they are calling it a fan. But I know a couple techs that have replaced them.
Take a flashlight and shine it through the small grill up above the right temp adjuster wheel and see if you see an element wire in there.

Ari30 05-21-2010 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for this info. I checked resistance on the sensors in the mirrors and they both measure around the same value. My dashboard temp gauge measures fine the outside temp.

The sensor that you said it's called the "fan", is it located inside the Climate control unit? I took this unit apart from the dashboard but can not see a sensor in the area. Do I need to remove the little screws of the unit and/or cover to see this sensor? My Climate control unit has been acting funny for like a year now though. The cabin fan and AC light turn on by themselves even though the AC knob is cranked all the way to the left (off) position. So I bet if there is a sensor there it is bad.

I don't have the grill to see through with a flashlight (see pic attached) if that is the one you were referring to. My knob only has temp colors red/blue, no temp numbers.

Thanks,
Erick