Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Trouble mounting new timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble mounting new timing belt.

I am replacing my timing belt and most related parts on my 2001 Volvo V70 XC at home in Arlington, MA. I am at the point of threading on the new belt but don't have enough slack to get it on. I compared the new belt to the old one, and it is the same size. If you have the ability and live near me, I would pay you for your help. Joe, 617-645-1168.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Hostetter
I am replacing my timing belt and most related parts on my 2001 Volvo V70 XC at home in Arlington, MA. I am at the point of threading on the new belt but don't have enough slack to get it on. I compared the new belt to the old one, and it is the same size. If you have the ability and live near me, I would pay you for your help. Joe, 617-645-1168.
Just curious - did you get the belt on yet? It's tight - you need every mm of slack to slide in over the tensioner pulley

Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 PM

I went to Sudbury Volvo Service (MA). The two mechanics there were very nice and spent a lot of time coaching me. One said that if he has trouble, he might mount going clockwise from the from the CS and try to slip the belt over the intake and exhaust gear pulleys at the same time. When they learned that I had not removed the accessory pulley from the CS, they said that they always remove the pulley because it is too difficult to mount the belt without removing it. I bought an impact wrench and will try to remove the pulley in the morning. If I get it off, it will be easier to be sure that the belt is seated perfectly into the CS teeth and might be able to pull the belt over the tensioner if going counterclockwise.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Default Timing belt

The guys I talked to said that there is a metal nub closed to the timing belt pulley behind the crank shaft accessory pulley. They were right. it is hard to feel if the T belt is seated on it's pulley and not on the nub if one does not remove the CS accessory pulley. I got it on correctly. Also replaced the water pump, tensioner and roller pulley. Also replaced the accessory belt, tensioner, and the power stearing pump and pulley (metal). The alternator is quiet and produces over 14 volts, the compressor bearing is noisy until it warms up. It was a China produced and was replaced a year and a half ago. I will just tollerate the noise.
I have had to use a battery jumper to start and will start on its own after that if I don't let it sit without starting for no more than 3 days. Now I can't start it even with the jumper. Just fast relay clicks. I will next check the related relays and wiring connections to the starter. Do you have any more ideas?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

how old is the battery ( I find I get about 5 years )? good idea to clean the terminals etc, but you may want to swap in a new battery if it can't hold a charge for 3 days - or test for a current draw. Its possible the starter is drawing a lot of current but that's not a common as a weak or failed battery.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Exclamation Belts

It seems that the noise is from the compressor bearing. I found a good post about replacing the bearing. Easy for an expert but not for me. I replaced the battery and now have no problem starting the engine. Regarding the two guys at Sudbury Volvo (MA), I had planned to take my V70XC to them for a few minor things, check out noises, run an error code check, and then make recommendations for any critically needed repairs.
BUT !, in December their shop was locked up and now their voicemail box is full. No town officials know if they went out of business. Do any of you know Michael Griffin or Timothy McManus, or do you know if they have gone out of business?

Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM

I replaced the battery and it starts easily. I now have a noise from the compressor bearing and am considering following the post by Livens on how he changed the bearing.
VERY IMPORTANT:
I planned to go back to Sudbury Volvo (MA) to have the two guys check for any remaining critical issues. Their names are Michael Griffin and Timothy McManus. In December, I found their shop locked up and all my phone calls went to voice mail. Now the VM box is full.
Do any of you know if they are out of business or how to contact them. Town officials have no knowledge of them closing.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM

After logging-in, I spent 2 hours carefully writing an update. After clicking: Post Quick Reply, an error message said that I had to log in again. I did that and then another error message stated that it could not post the reply because I had logged in again. I should have copied my message to the clipboard. I don't have time to recompose the message. We all loose.