Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   VVT set up Help, please. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/vvt-set-up-help-please-41683/)

neal289 05-15-2010 08:24 PM

VVT set up Help, please.

New to Volvo mechanics. Have an '02 V70XC I just installed a head on. Problem is it starts, runs fine for about 5 seconds and quits. I have the cam tool and THINK I set it all up correctly. (VVT on exhaust side only)
I am getting a P0342 code (camshaft position sensor). What's the chances this sensor broke sitting for a few weeks, maybe Gumout screws them up (I cleaned it).
If anyone can explain the correct procedure for setting VVT I would greatly appreciate it. Stumped - should I order the sensor and hope for the best, or dig back into the timing belt?...
P.S. Wife's car - Need to get it running before she files divorce papers ;)

Neal

tech 05-15-2010 08:34 PM

How did you set the pulley up when putting it back together?

SVTfocusO3 05-15-2010 08:35 PM

volvosupport7279@hotmail.com

have VIN ready.

neal289 05-15-2010 08:38 PM

Per VIDAS fully clockwise.

tech 05-15-2010 08:43 PM

On the exhaust cam the timing marks should be lined up about 1.5 teeth before the timing marks. Then line the mark up when putting the belt on.

neal289 05-15-2010 08:43 PM

VIN is YV1SZ58D121055826 and she runs smooth for the few seconds before stalling.

neal289 05-15-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 217656)
On the exhaust cam the timing marks should be lined up about 1.5 teeth before the timing marks. Then line the mark up when putting the belt on.

Not sure how this would work. If VVT is loaded fully clockwise and I set the cam mark before the cover mark (counterclockwise) it wouldn't turn any more clockwise to align the marks with cam alignmet tool installed, would it?

tech 05-15-2010 08:48 PM

You load the pulley counter clockwise then continue turning counter clockwise with the screw still loose till it is 1.5 teeth before the timing mark. Tighten the center screw and turn the pulley clockwise to line the mark up.

neal289 05-15-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 217661)
You load the pulley counter clockwise then continue turning counter clockwise with the screw still loose till it is 1.5 teeth before the timing mark. Tighten the center screw and turn the pulley clockwise to line the mark up.

That makes sense. Thanks a million. I guess I misunderstood the VIDAS instruction. Maybe a Swedish to English thing...

tech 05-15-2010 08:54 PM

LOL that should set you up. See what happens with it setup that way.
Also I had one that bad a bad cam sensor one time. The cam sensor has 2 circuits 1 for starting the car. The 2nd keeps track of it for the VVT. The one I had the 2nd circuit was not working correctly. But the 1st was working normally.

neal289 05-16-2010 03:15 PM

It's still not running. When I set VVT correctlly it started easier (faster) but still stalls in a few seconds, this time without cam position sensor code.
I'm thinking I have the crankshaft position out in relation to the camshafts (which have to be right because I have the cam lock tool.
When I align the marks on the crankshaft pulley with the mark on the oil pump the #1 piston is slightly below (before) TDC. Every engine I ever timed started with #1 at TDC, so I removed plug from #1 and rigged up a runout gage to position #1 at true TDC. When I reinstalled the timing belt with cams aligned as before the engine binds! Thankfully I attempted to hand turn before hitting the starter. I'm lost...
Does Volvo specify the position of piston #1 when doing a timing set up?

I have the crankshaft lock tool, it came with the set but when I tried it the piston was way down in the bore and the cam marks were nowhere near the indicator on the oil pump. I assumed tool was miss machined, this isn't a Snap On alignment set...

neal289 05-17-2010 11:41 PM

Further progress but still will not remain running - sensors?...

I've tried a few more things since last post. I have the timing marks dead on. I tried loading the VVT (exhaust only) fully counterclockwise and fully clockwise (facing the gear).
Counter clockwise setting results in a hard start, prolonged cranking, and rough idle before stalling. Generates code P0342 - camshaft position sensor low.
Clockwise starts quickly and purrs like a kitten until the inevitable stall.
Seems like something is just shutting down... and no codes.

I have a cam position sensor ordered but I'm not too hopeful.

Does anyone have any other suggestion to try out?

I'm at my wits end with this car. :confused::confused::confused:

tech 05-18-2010 07:37 PM

Was this a NA car?
Sorry I forget.
I think there is another issue that is shutting it down.

SVTfocusO3 05-18-2010 08:47 PM

VIN:

Yv1sz58d121055826

I believe he has other problems as well, we are trying some different things now...

tech 05-18-2010 09:00 PM

Blown intercooler hose?

neal289 05-18-2010 10:26 PM

It runs!

Tech, you're dead on, sort of. Like an idiot I failed to reconnect the air inlet hose to the turbo. I disconnected last minute to install the aluminum motor mount bracket at the rear of the head.

I haven't driven it yet but it sound good throughout the RPM band and best of all it idles, which was music to my ears after so many failed attempts.

One thing contrary to our discussions, I loaded the VVT in a clockwise direction, or same as engine rotation. Loaded counter clockwise made it idle rough, and again everything seems fine, albeit undriven. I didn't have the nerve to try it the other way as it seemed rough and was hard starting before for the brief time it ran.

I tried every possible combination of timing during my idiot, unhooked air pipe phase: advanced timing +/- a tooth, 1/2 tooth; with VVT in both maximum directions. By the way I think I could change a timing belt blindfolded by now.

Any thoughts?

So happy I could pee right now.:D:D:D

tech 05-18-2010 10:31 PM

I need to remember to bring my one book home tomorrow night. Then I can tell you 100% which way it needs to be set. The S80 I did today with the exhaust VVT I had to set it up unloaded Before the timing marks. Then once the center bolt was tight I rotated the pulley clockwise to the timing mark and installed the belt. I did not drive that car though. It needs a vent box it has already blown out 3 seals. I did not want to drive it and blow the rear main out.