Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/)
-   -   04 XC90 Transmission Service Required (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/04-xc90-transmission-service-required-62662/)

dahnn 05-06-2012 02:55 PM

04 XC90 Transmission Service Required

The transmission service required message and check engine light in out 2004 xc90 2.9 Turbo AWD came on earlier today. There are about 115K miles and there are no apparent symptoms that we notice, just the message and light.

I pulled codes P0717 and P0700, that appear to be "Input/Turbine Speed Sensor A Circuit No Input" and "Transmission Control System Malfunction", respectively.

Tech or anyone else know what these codes actually signify on this vehicle?

Thanks,

Dave

hollis 06-18-2012 08:57 AM

Wish I could help you. My wife's '05 T6 has had the "Trans Service Required" warning on for over a year now.

I've replaced the fluid/filter in that time, and everything is still running fine; the transmission shifts smoother. But I don't have a dealer close-by to either clear the message or tell me if something is actually wrong.

dahnn 06-18-2012 08:50 PM

Thanks Hollis. I posted another thread about getting a second opinion that you might be interested in if you need to do something about yours.

I took it to the dealer and they charged me $120 to tell that the code that I described when I brought it in was in fact the issue - no signal from the internal transmission speed input sensor. Then they told me that part is not available, so the transmission, radiator, trans cooler, and lines had to be replaced for $6800+. I told them I would drive it until it failed instead of paying that.

I then found a independent transmission shop that looked at it said it was a common GM transmission and fixed it for $909 (most of which was just taking it out and putting it back in)

I hope your continues without incident, my wife was too nervous to drip anywhere far with the warning light on, especially after the dealer spooked her more with their dire prediction.

Good luck, Dave

jamieheath 08-16-2012 11:38 AM

We have a 2004 XC90 T6 with about 134K miles. We have traveled across the country multiple times with no problems. This past weekend driving to Florida the "Transmission Service Required" and "Check Engine" light came on as yours did. We had no other signs of problems. Someone suggested a tranny flush and others said the computer may need a software update. The update could run between $150-$250 depending on who we called. Then I thought, why do I need an update. Nothing has changed in the car over the last 8 years. Why would I need additional software all of a sudden?

Then, out of the blue, three days later, the lights went off. Go figure. Now the lights are off but it feels like the tranny slips a little coming out of first gear. The fluid is brownish so I think I will follow the "Flushing" guidelines I found on the forum. We'll see if that works.

I'll keep y'all posted.

schumicat 08-20-2012 11:07 PM

you should get the codes scanned. they should be stored even though the light went off.

ify_george10 01-27-2016 09:19 AM

The transmission service required message and check engine light on and anti skid service came on 2004 xc90 T6 2.9 Turbo AWD. After a thorough diagnose the following error codes where generated.
P0700
P0733
P0756
P0343

Software repair has been done and its status changed back to old barely 24hrs after. I was advised to change the filter and transmission oil but same message remains and the Volvo not changing gear beyond 1 and 2. Please i need urgent advice on how these problems can be solved. Thanks in anticipation