Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 2.5T XC90 HID Headlight issues (bi-Xenon)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 2.5T XC90 HID Headlight issues (bi-Xenon)

Hi guys, I have went though, and looked at all the headlight issues via our webpage, and MVS.

I had an interesting thing go on last night. for the last year my High beam lights hadn't turned on. recently my left low beam light though an error msg that "Bad low beam" it would turn on occasionally. in my search, I seen issues with old wires (S70 i think) suggestions include swapping ballast, to see if that is the issue. (I haven't done it yet)

what I have done, last year, I was going to replaces the High beam light bulbs, and found they looked new. Yesterday, I took off the left head light unit, and removed both high/low beam bulbs, replaced them all. Then when testing the opposite side high beam light turned on. (Drivers side)

So if messing with the wires on the passenger side turned on the drivers side will that work, if did the same thing with the drivers side?

Now that I have an error msg, I am able to take it to the dealer, and they will spend up to an hour trouble shooting this msg. I just want to get the peanut gallery take on it? Possibly since then I don't think the high beam light has turned on since that first moment.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by arfstrom
Hi guys, I have went though, and looked at all the headlight issues via our webpage, and MVS.

I had an interesting thing go on last night. for the last year my High beam lights hadn't turned on. recently my left low beam light though an error msg that "Bad low beam" it would turn on occasionally. in my search, I seen issues with old wires (S70 i think) suggestions include swapping ballast, to see if that is the issue. (I haven't done it yet)

what I have done, last year, I was going to replaces the High beam light bulbs, and found they looked new. Yesterday, I took off the left head light unit, and removed both high/low beam bulbs, replaced them all. Then when testing the opposite side high beam light turned on. (Drivers side)

So if messing with the wires on the passenger side turned on the drivers side will that work, if did the same thing with the drivers side?

Now that I have an error msg, I am able to take it to the dealer, and they will spend up to an hour trouble shooting this msg. I just want to get the peanut gallery take on it? Possibly since then I don't think the high beam light has turned on since that first moment.
If you have the bi-xenon system the bulbs towards the middle of the front of your vehicle only come on with the light switch In the "0" position and vehicle in gear and the vehicle out in sunlight. When you flash the high beams your bi-xenon bulb should move up and down.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 PM

Yup, your right. apparently my Ballast was broken. I have replaced the ballast, and now the everything seems to be working. When I was talking to the dealer, the parts guy had suggested that the H7 connector has been replaced, hinting that the connector or wires to the H7 bulb might need to be inspected. I have also replaced the D2R bulb. (about $100 usd)

Mine was fine. Time will tell if their is a problem with the H7 as the "low beam light ..." error msg, as I haven't taken the vehicle out on a long trip to determine if its is still an issue. right now it seems to be fine, if maybe somewhat weak.
Tobie