Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 issues with 2011 XC90

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 issues with 2011 XC90

Hi, thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide!

1. There is a lot of water sloshing around somewhere in the body of the vehicle, particularly in the passenger side. You can hear it sloshing on acceleration and braking, and it sounds like it is moving a decent distance. I checked the holes in the bottom of the doors for blockage, no luck there. I checked the sideboard holes under both the the driver and back seat passenger areas for blockage, no luck there too. I crawled under the car and noticed hollow compartments under both sides of the car that are plugged with multiple rubber stoppers. I took all those out and had no water come out, even when leaving them out and going around the block hitting the brakes repeatedly. I don't want to have to take it in and pay $300 for a simple 5-minute fix if thats all that it would take to find and drain the water. Any tips on where to look next??

2. My driver side low beam was flickering and then failing intermittently (so not a burned out bulb), and now I've got an additional message on the dash that says the headlight has failed entirely. Any tips on a likely loose wire or something? The whole headlight assembly seems to come out in one piece, but I haven't fully gone through and totally taken it all out yet.

Thanks again for any help you all might be able to offer!
David

Old 10-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You are going to need to remove the carpets to get the water out.

As for the bulb, do you have halogens or bi-canons? Flickering can certainly be the bulb.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply.

The bulb is for the active bending headlight, its a xenon HID D1S type bulb. After reading through another post regarding low beam failure messages I checked the fuse for it (good) and tried the bad bulb in the other side (still bad), so I ordered a pair of replacements online. They should get here tomorrow so I'll post an update here then. I was used to conventional bulbs being binary (either dead or alive) but these xenons do seem to have an in between stage so hopefully the new bulb is the fix.

As for the sloshing water situation, the stealership guy guesses that it is a broken sunroof drain issue and, like you say, will probably require removal of the carpets to drain and fix things. It seems like a pretty ****ty system to me that a sunroof drain problem could ever turn into the interior of the car needing to be ripped up, WTF kind of fail system is that the wherever this water is collecting doesn't have a built in drain, or at least an easily accessible drain plug??? He quoted me 4hours+ of labor equalling $525 to take out the carpets, etc... Any other options you might suggest??